Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But there is someone on this board who has exactly the same name as one of my villains. This villain is not even the nice type of villain, the proud, scintillating, demon evil type.

This particular villain is a spineless weasel who cheats and lies his way out of everything, lets other people do his dirty work and is just a horrible selfish person, even to his own children.

The name is not unusual and I swear I used this name years and years and years before I joined the KB. That's why seeing this name pop up is kinda eerie.

Does that happen to you?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
But there is someone on this board who has exactly the same name as one of my villains. This villain is not even the nice type of villain, the proud, scintillating, demon evil type.

This particular villain is a spineless weasel who cheats and lies his way out of everything, lets other people do his dirty work and is just a horrible selfish person, even to his own children.

The name is not unusual and I swear I used this name years and years and years before I joined the KB. That's why seeing this name pop up is kinda eerie.

Does that happen to you?
No, but now I'm wondering who it is. ;)

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
No, I'm just the opposite. I started writing one of my books as a nanowrimo project. We had a thread where a few of us on another forum decided we would use as many avatar or real names of people who frequented the site in our book. So I have at least five names in it that are my friends.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wow, such weird timing. Here's an actual excerpt from my WIP ...

... the gore seeping under the door was the last evidence they needed, a red film pouring down the stairs thick and slow, like V-8 on a cold January morning in Delaware. Forland hugged the wall, his sword drawn. He could feel the tacky wetness beneath his boots. He paused, hesitant to open it, glancing back at Sir Cornwell, who, grim-faced, nodded that he should get on with it. So he did. He reached out a gauntletted fist and yanked back the door, plunging into the blinding brightness, his trembling sword on high, the rugged old knight right behind him with his crossbow. And there she was, Patty Jansen, THE Patty Jansen, right there, in the process of it, yet again, the unspeakable crime, her crimson stained hands reaching into the open cavity of yet another puppy, yanking out it's little puppy guts and laughing manically as she threw the entrails about like that weird, kinky paper string you get at birthday parties sometimes. "Die puppy die," she cried in dripping ecstasy, then she ate it's little puppy kidney before Forland could even lunge with his sword. She spat a spatter of puppy blood at him and then, in the span of a breath, cast the spell that took her out of the tower, leaving only the echo of her laughter as mocking sauce for the remnants of her repast ...

Crazy isn't it, that you'd post this ... like right now, today?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
I suspect David Adams. Doesn't get more uncommon than that.
Wah-hah-hah-hah-hah! Mine is an evil laugh!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
David Adams said:
Wah-hah-hah-hah-hah! Mine is an evil laugh!
Not impressive, you've got too many unicorn farts going on around you to be scary! :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
I usually take my character names from people I know, so my writing is full of "real" people. That said, I usually make the characters nothing like their namesakes, personality wise, so when my friends read my writing and see that I've turned them into villains or somesuch, it can be quite an amusing experience!

·
Registered
327 Posts
No, this has never happened to me. I am not an expert on literary law, but suggest you publish a strong disclaimer in your book. And change the villain's name. A goodly number of people have the same last name as I do, and this has resulted in our occasionally getting each other's communications of various kinds.

I write on Sherlock Holmes, and my current best seller is "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine." See the cover image below.

Your writing sounds interesting. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts