Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon actually has a more efficient and cheaper shipping system than Ingramspark, at least for the global distribution that I am interested in.

My question is if I can dropship with these copies? I see that when requesting copies there is a "gift" option that does not show the paid price on the package.

In case anyone does not understand what dropshipping is, this means selling the book on my website, and with the buyer's shipping details, request an author copy on Amazon to be sent to the buyer's address.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have used this option - however it is annoying:
You must add the person address in your profile - so you can choose it during the check-out process.

Very slow and cumbersome.
I used it to gift a few copies to my beta-readers and stuff like that but it is NOT a viable drop-shipping solution if you are talking about high volume stuff.

Cheers
E.

P:S.
You also have to be careful about the "advanced copy-not for resale" band they sometimes put on the book cover!
Not sure if they (-zon) do this anymore, but I have received some copies with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used this option - however it is annoying:
You must add the person address in your profile - so you can choose it during the check-out process.

Very slow and cumbersome.
I used it to gift a few copies to my beta-readers and stuff like that but it is NOT a viable drop-shipping solution if you are talking about high volume stuff.

Cheers
E.

You also have to be careful about the "advanced copy-not for resale" band they sometimes put on the book cover!
Not sure if they (-zon) do this anymore, but I have received some copies with it.
Thank you for your reply. I actually can see two options related to author copies on my KDP account, one is just author copies, apaerently it is the same book that is sold for end user; and then i already have the "proof copies". I don't know what the difference in price is, but for proof copies KDP told me that a "NO SALES IS ALLOWED" warining watermark is placed on the cover.

·
Registered
215 Posts
snip

They still do this, usually if you get an author copy before final approval is done (aka submitting the book and it is on the market). After that you should be able to order author copies without the "not for resale" splashed across the front of the cover. Still, it is certainly something to watch out for. I haven't bothered dropshipping through the author platform, rather from the main sale page as a gift. The reason is, a couple of times I checked, it cost about the same price with the shipping Amazon tacked on via the author copies as it did though the sales page using prime shipping (once you factor in the royalties you get back).

It is a cheaper of course shipping wise if you order them in bulk through the author copies. However, in the end you still have to pay the shipping again to the customer. Run the numbers to make sure, but last time I did, it made more sense to do a gift through the main sales page if you are doing one occasionally. Of course if you don't have Prime shipping, then it is all together different and might be worth doing the dropship through the author copies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts