Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but I'm afraid the cover for my latest book ("The Convert") isn't working. As much as I love it, I think maybe it isn't the right one. Sales are dismal, despite pretty good reviews. Recent feedback from readers indicated they bought it "in spite of the cover" instead of because of it. :)

Ouch.

Anyway, I sat down this morning and made a new one, with which I am pleased. Hopefully I'll see a boost in sales. It's maddening to sit stagnant while everyone talks about selling hundreds every month!

Here are the old and new, side by side:

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe me, I've been stalking the premade sites looking for one (to the point of it becoming an unhealthy obsession!). I actually made one with only an author name bar (below), but I liked the one with both bars more.

(this one contains the unretouched rogue eyebrow that's removed from the other one, but that's easy enough to do)

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dam_Good, while I like what you did, I think I'm going to try the less horror-y approach for awhile. It's not really a horror novel, more of a thriller with some fantastic elements (and a touch of horror, I suppose). The green eye is actually a big plot point, so that makes the new cover fit in nicely.

Dalya: the second black bar is necessary (or is to my limited abilities in Gimp) because the source image isn't actually tall enough for a 6x9 300 dpi cover. I could make it smaller, I guess, but I also kind of like the bars, amateur as they may be.

(of course, my skills at picking winning covers might be in question at this point)

The blurb is intentionally vague -- matter of fact, my protagonist spends the better part of the book learning what the powers are. There's a definite religious aspect to it, because he sees lots of things that he attributes to his very religious upbringing. Miracles and whatnot, demons and devils...or so he thinks. :)

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BJ, I responded to your message. Thanks for the cover suggestion!

I've been playing with the cover a little, and done something someone suggested to give more of a hint of the book. Plus, it helps capture a little of the essence of the nature of the antagonists...

Haven't made my mind up what I think about it. On the one hand, I like it, but on the other, I also liked that the green was the only color in the older version. Plus, I'm afraid that this version might convey the idea that the scary guy is inside or part of the protagonist, which is not true at all.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I need to make my official author tagline "Good writing. Bad covers." ;D

Been playing this morning:

(pay no attention to that rogue eyebrow hair; that gets fixed in whatever version I settle on)

ETA: Lynn, I hope you enjoy the book as much as the last one! :)

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, this is what I'm going with for now. All this cover play is keeping me from my procrastinating. I have a book to not write, and I don't want to spend this valuable time cursing at Gimp. :)

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions!

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ada O'Flaherty said:
(This is an add on via Modify) I just took a look at your Look Inside section. Wow... you are a beautiful writer! I don't see that conveyed at all in your original cover. Your original cover has the feel of a hatchet job in comparison to your writing style. And your blub feels just clumsy and again is not representative at all of your beautiful writing inside the book! I definitely recommend taking another go at the blurb.
Oh, Ada, flattery will get you everywhere. :) (and thank you for the compliment and suggestions!)

I'm not beholden to the blurb; writing them has always been painful for me. I'm not known for my patience, and I think by the time I finish writing a book, I'm just ready to get it up on Amazon, possibly to my detriment.

I've been messing around with it, and this is what I've got right now. Suggestions are welcome from anyone. :)

When the laws of reality are torn, you do or die.

An accident two days before his sixteenth birthday put Dan Mackenzie in a wheelchair, but he hasn't let that slow him down. He's made a good life for himself in the Florida panhandle since then, working as a computer geek and playing basketball with his buddies on the weekends. A normal life.

During a pickup game one September morning he meets a pretty woman with eyes as green as the Gulf of Mexico and finds himself irresistibly drawn to her. What he doesn't know is that someone wants her dead. Very dead.

When a lunatic tries to kill her, Dan's effort to save her profoundly changes his life, and he discovers that his notion of "normal" is nothing like he thought. Now the two have become separated, and he is fast learning that people are not at all what they seem. There are powers at work he never dreamed existed.

And they want him dead, too.

Happy butchering!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.