Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my first book, Land of No Angels, is finally out on ebook with the print version coming out in a week or so and while I'm super excited, the whole thing makes me a bit anxious. Not only is it my first book, but it's the novel I wrote for my MFA in Creative Writing thesis. It's kind of unreal to present myself as an actual author, but a part of me is freaking out. While I embrace the concept of being an author, that being traditionally published doesn't make a difference in that matter, I still wonder how other people feel about this. My parents don't seem to consider the difference, but I'm sure others will.

How do those of you awesome authors from the kindleboards present yourselves when you've only self published rather than "traditional" publish or done both?

I didn't even bother with traditional/legacy because I think it's a broken system that is morally gray and doesn't treat authors the way they should be treated. I'm not self publishing because I want to eventually go to a big 6 publisher or anything like that. I do it because it's fun and because I enjoy it. But phew! It's hard work, isn't it?

Now that my book is out, I only have a few things left to do. I've set up a giveaway at GoodReads, I have a facebook author page, posted on twitter, posted on my blog. Am I missing anything else important?

-Possible blog tour (Still trying to work out how to get this one going)
-Set up guest posts for my blog/website (Anyone interested?)
-More Marketing (Must I learn to enjoy this part because right now, I don't?)
-Set up an ebook giveaway (Any suggestions?)
-Submit to book reviewers (edited post to add this one since I totally forgot)

Well, I've rambled on enough, but I'm just really excited! I also want to thank everyone here for being so awesome because these boards have been really helpful throughout the process. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to share!

-Nikki

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Congrats!! I know others who know much more about these things will come along and give you great advice.  The only advice I have is Breathe. LOL  Breathe and enjoy this wonderful moment.  It will only get better from here.  :)

7,412 Posts
Take a long, deep breath and go:

"It will grow back."

Wait, you're not going to be a barber. Let me try again.

"I will get bad reviews. I will get good reviews. I will have days of awesome sales, and days with no sales. And through it all, I'll keep writing, and treating my readers respectfully."

Then downvote your bad reviews, grumble about them to friends, mutter about idiots selling more than you, and overall have a good time when no one is watching  :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Congratulations on your release!

You might want to check out Dean Wesley Smith's blog for his Think Like a Publisher and Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing post series. Also, The Freelancer Survival Guide by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (also free on her blog) is well worth checking.

Are you on Shelfari?

Have you submitted your book to reviewers?

None of my tips are required, of course; just potentially helpful. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Congrats!! I've had success with the following promo companies: Topaz and Goddess Fish. They are pretty affordable. I heard about them through the romance grapevine, since that was the genre I wrote before writing my romance parody. Also, Manic Readers is a great place to submit your book for review, since they are affiliated with several other review sites.

PJ

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
NRWick said:
-Set up an ebook giveaway (Any suggestions?)
Congratulations, Nikki! It'll be a bit of a rollercoaster ride at times, as suggested above, but all worth it in the end.

As for your ebook giveaway, you could try Librarything. It's not as heavily trafficked as GoodReads, but still worthwhile.

Good luck and bon voyage!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JeanneM said:
Congrats!! I know others who know much more about these things will come along and give you great advice. The only advice I have is Breathe. LOL Breathe and enjoy this wonderful moment. It will only get better from here. :)
Thank you! Haha, I really am excited. Reading it now, my post may come off a little manic.

Half-Orc said:

"I will get bad reviews. I will get good reviews. I will have days of awesome sales, and days with no sales. And through it all, I'll keep writing, and treating my readers respectfully."

Then downvote your bad reviews, grumble about them to friends, mutter about idiots selling more than you, and overall have a good time when no one is watching :)
LOL, oh man. Is it a bit sick that I'm almost looking forward to my first bad review just to share with my best friend (and critique partner) because she will turn it into something hilarious? But only after some good ones... and some sales. Haha.

Thank you! The keep writing advice I need to really listen to. I've been slacking because of nerves. (And laziness... but we won't dwell on that. lol)

Carradee said:
Congratulations on your release!

You might want to check out Dean Wesley Smith's blog for his Think Like a Publisher and Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing post series. Also, The Freelancer Survival Guide by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (also free on her blog) is well worth checking.

Are you on Shelfari?

Have you submitted your book to reviewers?

None of my tips are required, of course; just potentially helpful. :)
Thanks! I do read those blogs, and J.A. Konrath's, of course. I think I'm on shelfari, but I've not done anything with it yet. Do you have any tips on using it effectively? I've also not gotten to book reviewers yet and completely forgot to add that to my list. Thank you for reminding me!

DebBennett said:
Great cover, Nikki.
Oh! Thank you! I totally should have mentioned my cover because it is so amazing and was done by Amanda at http://razzdazzdesign.com/. And just to plug her and Razzle for a second, she was amazing to work with, very affordable, and did (does) fantastic work. Highly recommended for anyone looking to get affordable, high quality, professional cover design.

@ DougLance, PJJones, and Andrew Biss
Thank you so much for your kind words and great tips. I will be sure to check them out.

Has anyone done twitter or blog giveaways, and if so, how did they go?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
NRWick said:
LOL, oh man. Is it a bit sick that I'm almost looking forward to my first bad review just to share with my best friend (and critique partner) because she will turn it into something hilarious? But only after some good ones... and some sales. Haha.
Eh, I came out with mine the first week of April, and I'm still waiting for my first bad review.

NRWick said:
I think I'm on shelfari, but I've not done anything with it yet. Do you have any tips on using it effectively?
I'm still figuring it out, myself. It did something, but I can't remember what. Maybe I'll remember later.

NRWick said:
I've also not gotten to book reviewers yet and completely forgot to add that to my list. Thank you for reminding me!
You're welcome!

NRWick said:
Has anyone done twitter or blog giveaways, and if so, how did they go?
I haven't, sorry. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ momilp and Carradee

Thanks!

Side note: I just found out my grandma wants to read my book. Hahaha, it's kind of frightening... especially since she's not exactly my target audience and I don't think she likes horror.

·
Registered
876 Posts
NRWick said:
@ momilp and Carradee

Thanks!

Side note: I just found out my grandma wants to read my book. Hahaha, it's kind of frightening... especially since she's not exactly my target audience and I don't think she likes horror.
You might be surprised ;D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Congrats on the new book!!!! And, for what it's worth, that means you're an author in my eyes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congrats Nikki! I can only imagine what you are going through. My book is with my editor and beta readers right now, and my nerves are a complete mess! I certainly think that you are a real author- though I think it would be best to be prepared for some people to not really understand. Most people ask me if I have sent my stuff to 'real' publishers. When I tell them no they seem confused. That gives me an opening to explain all of the advantages of self publishing.

Anyways, enjoy the moment!! You have a book published! And I am going to head on over to check it out right now :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well done on just getting it done. I'm halfway through novel #2 and haven't even finished revising and publishing novel #1 yet, so for you to get there is a good boost for me.

Also, have you worked out a website yet? There was some discussion here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,64876.msg1064303.html#msg1064303 about authors having a web presence and I blogged about it too, so you should definitely look into that.

I know I'm biased towards all things webby, but I just see it as such a fantastic opportunity that it shouldn't be missed.

Continuing Good luck!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ilyria_moon said:
You might be surprised ;D
Haha, too true.
soyfrank said:
Congrats on the new book!!!! And, for what it's worth, that means you're an author in my eyes.
Thank you! I believe I'm an author as well. I present myself as such, but I'm still sorting out the best way to explain when people ask who my publisher is. Which is funny since I didn't expect people to ask about it much, but they have quite a bit. For now, saying that I self published through amazon is enough, though.

Nichole Chase said:
Congrats Nikki! I can only imagine what you are going through. My book is with my editor and beta readers right now, and my nerves are a complete mess! I certainly think that you are a real author- though I think it would be best to be prepared for some people to not really understand. Most people ask me if I have sent my stuff to 'real' publishers. When I tell them no they seem confused. That gives me an opening to explain all of the advantages of self publishing.

Anyways, enjoy the moment!! You have a book published! And I am going to head on over to check it out right now :)
Thank you Nichole! You make a great point, too. So far, I've had people a bit confused too, but when I explain why I chose not to go the traditional route yet, they seem satisfied. Also, how exciting about your book! Good luck!

judd.exley said:
Well done on just getting it done. I'm halfway through novel #2 and haven't even finished revising and publishing novel #1 yet, so for you to get there is a good boost for me.

Also, have you worked out a website yet? There was some discussion here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,64876.msg1064303.html#msg1064303 about authors having a web presence and I blogged about it too, so you should definitely look into that.

I know I'm biased towards all things webby, but I just see it as such a fantastic opportunity that it shouldn't be missed.

Continuing Good luck!
Thanks, Judd. I do have website and a web presence, for the most part. I'm sure it could be better, though. Also, that's awesome that you are already on book 2! I'm struggling to work on the sequel to Land of No Angels. It's very different even though I know the world so well. When are you looking to publish book 1?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congratulations on your book Nikki. I wanted to do a giveaway on Goodreads, but I couldn't because it's only for print books and mines is an ebook. That's great that you have both print and ebook formats.

Just wanted to pass along http://mistressofthedarkpath.wordpress.com/book-giveaways/ . I'm sure there are others, but so far this is the only place I've found that allows you to do giveaways of ebooks. Yay! And she also has a page on there where Indie Authors are encouraged to list and promote their books.

Much success to you,
Pamela

·
Registered
155 Posts
NRWick said:
Thanks, Judd. I do have website and a web presence, for the most part. I'm sure it could be better, though. Also, that's awesome that you are already on book 2! I'm struggling to work on the sequel to Land of No Angels. It's very different even though I know the world so well. When are you looking to publish book 1?
To be honest, once I got rolling on Novel #1, you know, getting into the weekly groove (of answering emails from my Writer's Group and being called a "p*ssy" if I hadn't come up with enough words that week - sweet crew), then it wasn't much effort at all to keep cranking away onto something else.

It doesn't hurt that I have really elaborate, movie-like, dreams that frequently leave me exhausted-yet-energised in the mornings. Start writing down dreams and ideas for Sci-Fi books start coming so fast you can't keep up!

But yeah, the weekly kick from a slew of emails from other writers is a HUGE boost in keeping up with it. So much so that I made an entire website that's going to do that for me (www.pagebuoy.com) in the future.

Oh, and looking to publish Novel #1 (you ready for this?) when it's ready.

And sweet baby jeezus on a rickety scaffold, I have no idea when that's going to be. I don't want to "just get it out there" I want it to be right. I'm thinking sometime in the weeks following my newborn finally sleeping through the night... (we're on Week 7 and down to one feed).

Cheers! And welcome again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts