Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I couldn't resist.  Have a signature dish?  Post it here!

Disclaimer - I love to cook and can't promise not to post multiple times.

Here is one Chris and I make to take to BBQ's and potlucks.  (not healthy though)

BAKED BEANS

6 slices crispy cooked bacon
1 lb ground beef, cooked
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
40 ounces bush's baked beans
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, drained and rinsed

combine and cook for one hour at 350 degrees.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Kirstin.... this recipe has been one of my family's favorites for years too.  Mine is just the same except it also calls for 1 Tbsp. of liquid smoke which gives it an awesome flavor!!!  Also, mine was from a crock pot cookbook so it works great for the crock pot too!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
Kirstin.... this recipe has been one of my family's favorites for years too. Mine is just the same except it also calls for 1 Tbsp. of liquid smoke which gives it an awesome flavor!!! Also, mine was from a crock pot cookbook so it works great for the crock pot too!!
Really?? I got it from Chris's mom. :D Everyone loves it when we make it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kindled Spirit said:
kirstin...sounds yummy!! and easy to...thanks, I'll have to try it :)
Let me know what you think when you do. :) and you got your photo back from photobucket I see :D

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I said I couldn't be contained with just one.....   

Here is a Thanksgiving dessert idea (I got the recipe from TopSecretRecipes.com years ago and I have been told I can't show up to Thanksgiving at my parents without it)

Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I have also used crushed ginger snaps and crushed Vanilla waffers with success)
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup sugar, plus
1 tablespoon sugar
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (low fat and non fat work well too if you want to make it lighter)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Make the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 1 T sugar in a medium bowl.

Stir well enough to coat all of the crumbs with the butter, but not so much as to turn the mixture into paste.

Put foil partway up the outside part of an 8-inch springform pan.

Press the crumbs onto the bottom and about two-thirds of the way up the sides of the springform pan.

You don't want the crust to form all of the way up the back of each slice of cheesecake, just about 2/3 up

Bake the crust for 5-10 minutes, then set aside until you are ready to fill it.

In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 C sugar, and vanilla.

Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and continue beating until smooth and creamy.  Pour the filling into the pan.

Bake for 60-70 minutes.

The top will turn a bit darker at this point.  Top may crack - that's ok

Remove from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool.

When the cheesecake has come to room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

Best if can be left in fridge at least 8 hours.  I always make the day before.   Serve with homemade whipped cream. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
All my recipies begin the same way:

2 oz Booker's Bourbon
1 spring water ice cube

Pour bourbon over ice in rocks glass. Repeat.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I made this for the first time last Thanksgiving and it was so good! It was requested again for Christmas so I made another. It was fantastic and easy too. I got the recipe from www.epicurious.com

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake
Bon Appétit | November 1997

Yield: Serves 10 to 12

For crust
1 cup pecans (about 4 ounces)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For filling
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preparation

Make crust:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend first 3 ingredients in processor until nuts are finely chopped. Add butter; process until moist crumbs form. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Cool. Wrap outside of pan with double thickness of heavy-duty foil.

Make filling:

Using electric mixer, beat first 4 ingredients in large bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin; beat until blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth. Transfer to crust. Set in roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of springform pan.

Bake cake until top is golden and begins to crack and center is set, abut 1 hour 45 minutes. Remove from roasting pan. Cool. Chill overnight. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; keep chilled.)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buttercup said:
I made this for the first time last Thanksgiving and it was so good! It was requested again for Christmas so I made another. It was fantastic and easy too. I got the recipe from www.epicurious.com

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake
Bon Appétit | November 1997

Yield: Serves 10 to 12

For crust
1 cup pecans (about 4 ounces)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For filling
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preparation

Make crust:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend first 3 ingredients in processor until nuts are finely chopped. Add butter; process until moist crumbs form. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Cool. Wrap outside of pan with double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
What do we do when the crust is done? I love the pecans idea. I'll have to incorporate that into the one I make!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Teninx said:
All my recipies begin the same way:

2 oz Booker's Bourbon
1 spring water ice cube

Pour bourbon over ice in rocks glass. Repeat.
I like that one too if I can add sour mix. (I know but I'm a girl)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Man, all the above sounds yummy!!! Also, anything the can be crocked...the better :)))

Chocolate Saltines (from Sara Live)

Saltine crackers (salted, a little more than one sleeve and must be name brand)
1 stick of unsalted butter
½ cup of sugar
1 package of mini chocolate chips
Assorted toppings (mini marshmallows, mini M&Ms, nuts, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Completely cover a baking sheet with saltines (I use a professional sized jelly roll pan).

In a saucepan, melt the butter & sugar. Continue stirring until it gets a bit bubbly…don't worry, the mixture will eventually combine.

Pour mixture over saltines and spread evenly, trying to cover all saltines.

Bake saltines for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately spread chocolate chips over the saltines and let sit for 5 minutes. When softened, spread the chocolate with a spatula…then sprinkle whatever toppings you'd like.

Place in refrigerator until set or into freezer to set it quickly.

Break apart and enjoy. Store in an airtight container.

This is best done in cool weather ;-p

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Please don't ruin the Bookers, small batch Bourbons are the closest thing to heaven in a glass.  Use a cheaper whiskey for your sour, Bookers is too expensive to mix.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Kirstin said:
OK, I couldn't resist. Have a signature dish? Post it here!

Disclaimer - I love to cook and can't promise not to post multiple times.

Here is one Chris and I make to take to BBQ's and potlucks. (not healthy though)
Thanks Kristen... I was given this recipe about 20 years ago and had misplaced it... So glad to have it again!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Teninx said:
Ohmygawd, not sour mix with Bookers! It's a cask-strength single-barrel Bourbon at 127 Proof!
AMEN Teninx! My sister who works for JB will be VERY happy to hear you defend this fine libation. Hint for a gift: JB has a gift set of 4 mini bottles of their different signature bourbons (Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek, Booker's and Baker's). LOTS of fun to taste test - great stocking stuffer or grabbag gift - around $20 I believe.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chynared21 said:
Man, all the above sounds yummy!!! Also, anything the can be crocked...the better :)))

Chocolate Saltines (from Sara Live)

Saltine crackers (salted, a little more than one sleeve and must be name brand)
1 stick of unsalted butter
½ cup of sugar
1 package of mini chocolate chips
Assorted toppings (mini marshmallows, mini M&Ms, nuts, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Completely cover a baking sheet with saltines (I use a professional sized jelly roll pan).

In a saucepan, melt the butter & sugar. Continue stirring until it gets a bit bubbly…don't worry, the mixture will eventually combine.

Pour mixture over saltines and spread evenly, trying to cover all saltines.

Bake saltines for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately spread chocolate chips over the saltines and let sit for 5 minutes. When softened, spread the chocolate with a spatula…then sprinkle whatever toppings you'd like.

Place in refrigerator until set or into freezer to set it quickly.

Break apart and enjoy. Store in an airtight container.

This is best done in cool weather ;-p

I've never of anything like this - will definitely try it!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Teninx said:
Ohmygawd, not sour mix with Bookers! It's a cask-strength single-barrel Bourbon at 127 Proof!
I've actually never tried Bookers. I use Jack Daniels when I mix sours. Is that OK?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gables Girl said:
Please don't ruin the Bookers, small batch Bourbons are the closest thing to heaven in a glass. Use a cheaper whiskey for your sour, Bookers is too expensive to mix.
I use Jack. Never tried Bookers but it seems to have some ardent fans. :p

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Angela said:
Thanks Kristen... I was given this recipe about 20 years ago and had misplaced it... So glad to have it again!
well jeez... how come I never heard of it until I met Chris?? Seems it was very popular!

1 - 20 of 227 Posts