Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My family has certain foods that MUST appear on the holiday table, such as creamed onions. My mother's recipe is to take a jar of boiled onions, put them in a double boiler and pour a pint over cream over, then sprinkle with paprika. Yeah, right, mom. I found this recipe a few years ago and it has become the standard on MY table at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

GOLDEN CREAMED ONIONS
Serves 8-10

3 lbs pearl onions, blanched in boiling water 2 minutes, drained, and peeled (To peel: blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, rinse under cool water. Cut off the root and then pop out the onion. While many people find this step tedious and dull, I actually think it is relaxing and therapeutic.)

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a skillet large enough to hold the onions in a single layer (or two if necessary), combine onions, butter, sugar, salt, and enough water to cover the onions by a 1/4-inch and bring mixture to boil. Boil until the liquid is almost evaporated and continue cooking, swirling pan, until the onions are golden and they begin to brown. Add the cream and continue swirling pan until cream thickens and colors (about 2 minutes). Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper. This dish can be prepared a day or even more in advance and can be reheated in a microwave, a skillet over low heat, or in a slow oven.

Leslie

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Leslie said:
My family has certain foods that MUST appear on the holiday table, such as creamed onions. My mother's recipe is to take a jar of boiled onions, put them in a double boiler and pour a pint over cream over, then sprinkle with paprika. Yeah, right, mom. I found this recipe a few years ago and it has become the standard on MY table at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

GOLDEN CREAMED ONIONS
Serves 8-10

3 lbs pearl onions, blanched in boiling water 2 minutes, drained, and peeled (To peel: blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, rinse under cool water. Cut off the root and then pop out the onion. While many people find this step tedious and dull, I actually think it is relaxing and therapeutic.)

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a skillet large enough to hold the onions in a single layer (or two if necessary), combine onions, butter, sugar, salt, and enough water to cover the onions by a 1/4-inch and bring mixture to boil. Boil until the liquid is almost evaporated and continue cooking, swirling pan, until the onions are golden and they begin to brown. Add the cream and continue swirling pan until cream thickens and colors (about 2 minutes). Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper. This dish can be prepared a day or even more in advance and can be reheated in a microwave, a skillet over low heat, or in a slow oven.

Leslie
I LOVE creamed onions!! Thanks!! I am going to do this one this weekend. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Gables, that is correct. I cook out of necessity, not because I'm creative. But my favorite soused chef was Graham Kerr in his early days, before he quit drinking and got all healthy and boring. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teninx said:
Gables, that is correct. I cook out of necessity, not because I'm creative. But my favorite soused chef was Graham Kerr in his early days, before he quit drinking and got all healthy and boring. ;D
Yeah, he was fun in those days, wasn't he? I still have set of his wooden stirrers...he had name for them which I have forgotten.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
chynared21 said:
Wonky sounding, I know!!! But, if you love salty, sweet...this is right up your alley!!! Kids and adults alike gobble them up!

Leslie...boy, the creamed onions sound yummy!!!
They are great. And they are perfect to make while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on TV.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Leslie said:
They are great. And they are perfect to make while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on TV.

L
That's what I love about Thanksgiving...cooking while watching the parade. I haven't missed a year yet and the year I was pregnant with DD, my girlfriend gave us tickets to sit on 34th street (not the most exciting but a great experience) and I sat there in my big blue poncho about 8 months along looking like a drowned rat ;-p But, it was so much fun!!!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
chynared21 said:
Wonky sounding, I know!!! But, if you love salty, sweet...this is right up your alley!!! Kids and adults alike gobble them up!

Leslie...boy, the creamed onions sound yummy!!!
I am a huge fan of salty and sweet together, so I will definitely try it... We do a lot of coating pretzels and chow mein noodles and such with chocolate bark during the holidays. One night while baking cookies I was having a salty/sweet craving and all I had on hand was a bag of Fritos... the rest is history! We know include chocolate covered Fritos in our holiday cookie/candy giving!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Angela said:
I am a huge fan of salty and sweet together, so I will definitely try it... We do a lot of coating pretzels and chow mein noodles and such with chocolate bark during the holidays. One night while baking cookies I was having a salty/sweet craving and all I had on hand was a bag of Fritos... the rest is history! We know include chocolate covered Fritos in our holiday cookie/candy giving!!
Oh man...I love Fritos!!! I'm going to have to try that one :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
chynared21 said:
Oh man...I love Fritos!!! I'm going to have to try that one :)
It was so funny the first time I included them on a tray for a staff party and everyone was making fun of it and saying "how gross" but the next Christmas when it was getting close to time for my annual cookie/candy tray for the office, I got tons of emails from co-workers requesting the chocolate covered Fritos!! ;D

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Angela said:
YUM - I think I need to run to the grocery store......

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK. No one is playing along so I am forced to post another recipe. I can't remember where I got the original inspiration for this but I've made a lot of tweaks to it over the years and this is the chili I make frequently in the winter. It doubles well and freezes well too.

Spicy 3 meat chili

1 lb hamburger

1 lb hot breakfast sausage

1 lb stew meat

4 large hot peppers, chopped leaving in seeds

1 or 2 chopped onions

1 chopped bell pepper

1 15oz can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 15 oz can black beens, drained and rinsed

1 15oz can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed

3 Tablespoons chili powder (1 ea of dark, chipotle and ancho) (Note: if you don't like spicy - half the chili powder amount)

1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon salt

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 can French onion soup

1 6oz can chopped green chilies

1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes

2 15 oz cans tomato sauce

½ teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon oregano

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 Tablespoon Tabasco sauce

2 ½ Tablespoons cumin

½ teaspoon onion powder

3 Tablespoons Jalapeno juice

Marinate stew meat with jalapeno juice, onion powder and garlic powder. Let sit overnight if you can in the fridge.

Brown hamburger with the onion, garlic, bell pepper and1/2 tablespoon cumin.

Brown sausage

Remove stew meat from marinade and brown.

Mix all the meat together

Add soup, tomato sauce, tomatoes, drained beans, jalapenos, chili powders, 3 Tablespoons cumin, cayenne, oregano, green chilies, salt, sugar and Tabasco.

Cook on medium heat for 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Shizu said:
Wow, so many ingredient for Chili. I like Chili but never made one. Maybe I should. :D
Then there is Leslie's version:

1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
1 can dark red Kidney beans (16 oz)
1 pkg McCormick's chili-o mix

Make chili according to the directions on the chili-o mix package. Meanwhile, cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water. Condiments: chopped avocado, onion, tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream.

Serve chili on rice. Pass condiments separately for each diner to enjoy.

L

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Shizu said:
Wow, so many ingredient for Chili. I like Chili but never made one. Maybe I should. :D
It seems like a lot but it comes together quickly and is super yummy. Chris and I like to experiment in the kitchen so we get creative sometimes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Leslie said:
Then there is Leslie's version:

1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
1 can dark red Kidney beans (16 oz)
1 pkg McCormick's chili-o mix

Make chili according to the directions on the chili-o mix package. Meanwhile, cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water. Condiments: chopped avocado, onion, tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream.

Serve chili on rice. Pass condiments separately for each diner to enjoy.

L
That works too!

21 - 40 of 227 Posts