Registered
1,286 Posts
Or the really lazy version:

1lb ground beef
2 cans of Red Beans (not Kidney Beans)
1/4 cup onion
2 cans tomato soup
Chili Powder

Brown ground beef with onion, pour off grease.  Add the drained beans, stir in tomato soup and 1 to 2 cans of water depending upon how much liquid you like in your chili.  Heat until bubbling then add chili power to taste and serve.  Reheats beautifully.

Leaves lots of time to read your Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Angela said:
I can tell by the chili recipes that you guys can't be from Texas... Beans do not belong in chili!! :D
I tried to make a "bowl o'red" using an authentic Texas recipe. I even ate it with saltines! But after two bites, I had to dump a can of kidney beans in. I love beans in chili.

L

G

·
Shizu said:
I only had chili with beans in it. I thought there must be beans in all chili.
You are correct. Chili need not have meat in it (thus the difference between "chili" and "chili con carne"), howver it must have beans, tomatoes and, duh, chilis. Don't let those Texans tell you any different.

In a bizarre twist that surely signals the coming apocalypse, most chili competitions don't allow their competitors to put beans in their chili, as the beans can be used as a "marker" to let judges identify a particular chili as coming from a particular entrant.

G

·
I have several signature dishes.  I make a pretty mean chili, what LR says is the best spaghetti she's ever had, and what is widely acclaimed as the world's best chicken noodle soup.  However, I don't use recipes and measure my seasonings by sight, smell and taste.  Thus I can't share any of them here. ;)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
I have several signature dishes. I make a pretty mean chili, what LR says is the best spaghetti she's ever had, and what is widely acclaimed as the world's best chicken noodle soup. However, I don't use recipes and measure my seasonings by sight, smell and taste. Thus I can't share any of them here. ;)
My measurements are approximate..... I don't measure either. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here is another one. These are fall of the bone tender and I never liked ribs until we found this recipe.

BBQ beer baked Ribs

3 lbs country-style boneless pork ribs
2 medium onions, halved and sliced thinly
3 or 4 cloves minced garlic
2 cans beer
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays)

Brown the pork ribs in a skillet
Place the ribs in a large roasting pan and scatter the onions and garlic on top
Pour the beer over the ribs and cover with tin foil
Bake at 375F 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Carefully remove foil - the steam can burn
Pour out the beer
Slather the pork with the BBQ sauce and bake uncovered for 1 more hour

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Kirstin said:
My measurements are approximate..... I don't measure either. :)
I am the same way... I never measure anything and when people ask for recipes I always end up saying "season to taste." I will tell the what seasonings I used, but there is no way to know exactly how much of anything goes into it!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Kirstin said:
Here is another one. These are fall of the bone tender and I never liked ribs until we found this recipe.

BBQ beer baked Ribs

3 lbs country-style boneless pork ribs
2 medium onions, halved and sliced thinly
3 or 4 cloves minced garlic
2 cans beer
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays)

Brown the pork ribs in a skillet
Place the ribs in a large roasting pan and scatter the onions and garlic on top
Pour the beer over the ribs and cover with tin foil
Bake at 375F 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Carefully remove foil - the steam can burn
Pour out the beer
Slather the pork with the BBQ sauce and bake uncovered for 1 more hour
I love country style spare ribs and this one sounds yummy!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
chynared21 said:
I love country style spare ribs and this one sounds yummy!
Easy. Yummy. The only tricky part is pouring out the beer. I never get it all out, there is always about an inch left in the bottom.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I love the recipe ideas.

I don't have a recipe per se, I just throw things in a pot and simmer away and it's dinner. The Beer Ribs reminded me of this to share.

For the best stew you have had, just use a bottle of good ale for some of the cooking liquid. If I don't use it, it tastes dull and lifeless. I learned this trick from a real Irish Pub that makes Lamb Stew and they only use Guiness for theirs. I tried it with my Beef Stew and it was so delish!

After browning 1-2 pounds of meat of your choice in extra virgin olive oil, add 1 large red onion and garlic. Pour in your bottle of Guiness, (or any dark ale is good) and add water to cover along with 2 bay leaves and any other spices you might like (salt and pepper). Simmer and when meat is tender in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, add some veggies to your liking: potatoes, carrots, turnips, string beans, sweet potatoes, green/bell peppers, and cook until veggies are tender, about 1/2 hour longer. Really good on a cold day.

41 - 60 of 227 Posts