Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my church had a Gong Show where people were invited to demonstrate their various acts - with the only stipulation being that only untalented acts were allowed.

We didn't want to hear a bunch of piano students playing Fur Elise. :)

It was a chance for people to bring out their hidden skills - we had people doing amateur stand-up comedy routines, musical performances, skits... One of our college students did a great version of the Star-Spangled Banner with her poor man's trumpet (just blowing through her lips).

What hidden talent (or lack of talent) would you bring out? Let's have our own no-talent Gong Show in this thread...!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I guess I should start with what me and my daughters did.

I can make a "loon call" by blowing into my hands. I can carry out a simple melody with it - a skill acquired over many years of dedicated practice.

So, my girls and I performed "I Dreamed a Dream", from Les Miserables, arranged for the Violin and the Hand.

It went over quite well. I even hit the high notes when I was supposed to. :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I can repeat the "American Pledge of Allegience" in French. It's the only thing I can remember from 9th grade French class.  Didn't make sense that we  had to say it everyday.  We're in America...why learn it in French. 
GONG!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know a friend from college's social security number in Japanese.  She was taking the class and had to learn it, so she walked around for weeks saying it to herself. 

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife was going to say the McDonald's "Two-all-beef-patties-special-sauce" etc., backwards in less than 3 seconds. She was out of town so missed that opportunity to share her talent with the world.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's our arrangement:

We recorded one of our practice sessions, to send to Carrie's sister... we are BAD!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Harvey, that was awesome! My dad taught me to whistle with my hands like that, but I am no where as talented as you! And your girls are gorgeous...you have a shotgun, right?

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MAGreen said:
Harvey, that was awesome! My dad taught me to whistle with my hands like that, but I am no where as talented as you! And your girls are gorgeous...you have a shotgun, right?
'Tis a rare skill..! I taught my girls to do it last summer. They can make these high-pitched little peeps. When their hands get bigger, maybe they'll have the concert range that their papa has.

And I need to get a shotgun and practice firing it from my porch.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Harvey, that was priceless!

My cats, however, who were napping a foot from the computer, gave me dirty looks and beat a hasty retreat about forty seconds in.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, that's funny. When I play that video, my dog will come from wherever she is in the house, to find out what that noise is...!

·
Registered
508 Posts
OMG!!!  I thought that I was the only one:  Je jure fidelite d'Etats Unis D'Amerique, et a la republic qu'ils representent.  Une nation, sous Dieu, indivisible, avec la liberte et la justice pour tous.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Harv,
Thanks for posting the practice!  Did y'all get anything for such a fine performance?  I wish I could have been there.  What did y'all wear?
GREAT JOB!!!

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Harvey - great video!  When I was in college I won a case of Pepsi for being able to get as far as "Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light, what so proudly we" in one belch - does that count? ;D

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Buy, rent, or borrow this...

...and you can see/hear one variation of the theme in "Gee, Officer Krupke" where the melody is "played" by one of the drummers (naturally) by squeezing his hands together to make that flatulent sound all boys learn how to do at some point in their life. He takes it to the next level by actually hitting most of the notes more or less on pitch.

(It's a pretty good video, too. I saw the show on Broadway and was blown away [pun intended] by it.)

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Ah, a variation on "music you can make with your hands". Thanks, nogdog.

crebel said:
Harvey - great video! When I was in college I won a case of Pepsi for being able to get as far as "Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light, what so proudly we" in one belch - does that count? ;D
Oh yes, that definitely qualifies! :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts