Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...once you get past that hump you really get going!

First 3 days of the month I sold 30 copies of The Unearthing; yesterday when I left work the total was up to 42.  By the time I put my baby girl to bed last night it was reading at 50, now this morning I'm at 62 copies!

Through Darkness and Stars still hasn't caught up, which is slightly worrisome given it's the followup to The Unearthing, but holy crap.

To all you newer publishers - give it time, patience, and as much legwork as you can afford to give, and it'll turn around for you, too!

Thanks to the Writers' Cafe community who've advised me on the covers and marketing, and most of all in keeping faith!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am simultaneously happy, and a little freaked out.

Dare I hope that sometime before the end of the decade I might actually be doing this for a LIVING?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
SteveKarmazenuk said:
I am simultaneously happy, and a little freaked out.

Dare I hope that sometime before the end of the decade I might actually be doing this for a LIVING?
Go for it, brother. There are several others around here who are pulling that off -- why not you? It looks like you've got what it takes...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Congratulations, may the sales vs. time relationship graph get steeper and steeper!  ;D (sorry I'm at work so a nerdy graph visual was inevitable  ;) )

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I love hearing good news on a Tuesday that's really a Monday! haha ;)

Congrats.  Keep up the hard work.  Keep writing.  And enjoy life. 

-jb 8)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The hump is indeed a royal biatch.

That being said, you've asked what I did to promote the book, and my truthful answer is not nearly enough.

I got it reviewed on ONE genre website; I guest posted to two blogs (and had to cancel on Jennybeans' blog due to life interferences) and I Tweeted and Facebook Paged about the books, almost daily.

Also, I dropped the price from $2.50 to $0.99 and left it there.  Readers over sales; over time, that should generate better income.

What I SHOULD have done (Really, what I SHOULD do) is seek out more reviews and hunt down more sales venues than Kindle and Smashwords.

I'm sure there's a butt-load of other stuff I should do but haven't.  I'm just hoping the book's continued and improving performance gets me noticed by enough people that I can do this for a friggin' living.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congratulations. I'm glad somebody is cresting the hump...

I'm well and truly on the lower half of that hump, and still climbing - very slowly. Personally I think good sales are due to a unique combination of the right genre, the right time, momentum and a dash of luck. I've being doing a lot of promotional work recently (interviews on Indie websites, joining as many forums as possible - especially genre-specific ones, blog comments etc.) but my sales are actually getting worse. Must look into the reason for that :(

Martin

http://thegamblersnovel.com

·
Registered
351 Posts
MartinStanley72 said:
I'm well and truly on the lower half of that hump, and still climbing - very slowly. Personally I think good sales are due to a unique combination of the right genre, the right time, momentum and a dash of luck. I've being doing a lot of promotional work recently (interviews on Indie websites, joining as many forums as possible - especially genre-specific ones, blog comments etc.) but my sales are actually getting worse. Must look into the reason for that :(
It's that luck bit that scares me. I'm one of those people that's never won anything in my life. I can't even luck out at Wal-Mart and find a front parking spot. :( Maybe the genre, timing and promotional work will save me. Hee hee.

Congrats Steve! Hold on for the ride and keep us posted on your sales.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Steve, that's really exciting. May you have runaway sales...

BTW, I've been calling that elusive point--at which some cosmic something occurs and readers flock to your books--the tipping point. The Hump seems more apt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes...for people still climbing the Hump, remember: just a couple of months ago, I was barely clearing 40 copies a month...and there's absolutely nothing that says the other side of this hump isn't a sheer cliff waiting for me to hit bottom.

Trying to make a living at writing is like trying to make a living at roulette.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts