Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the people at Apple not understand what bar graphs are for? They should provide information at a glance. Not induce heart attacks. Anyone else notice this over there and find it bothersome?



(And yes, I understand that the vertical scale starts at some minimum threshold, which is what causes this, but that doesn't make the graphic any less meaningless. If there isn't going to be a relationship in scale, simply provide the numbers. Don't use graphics.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
I can't go direct with Apple because I don't have a Mac - but yes, that is indeed a WTF?! graph, and I don't understand why they are using a bar chart that works on that basis either.  ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
I think the graph is correct.

What is misleading is the position of 40 and that 0 thru 39 are not showing on the screen. If you can imagine a vertical running 0 through 40 and then 0 thru 80, your x2 would be correct. This sales graph is used to show a sales trend through sales count deltas across multiple days, starting with lowest which is 40. If a day fell below 40 then it would be shown as lowest.

Hope that helps. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian Spangler said:
I think the graph is correct.

What is misleading is the position of 40 and that 0 thru 39 are not showing on the screen. If you can imagine a vertical running 0 through 40 and then 0 thru 80, your x2 would be correct. This sales graph is used to show a sales trend through sales count deltas across multiple days, starting with lowest which is 40. If a day fell below 40 then it would be shown as lowest.

Hope that helps.
The graph is certainly correct. It's just useless. (Read my parenthetical below the graph. I stated what you just said. ;D )

What's the point of a graphic if it doesn't tell you anything at a glance? Kobo does this correctly by showing the full bar. Apple does not. It's not a major thing, I just find it amusing that they get such a basic thing so screwy. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,088 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
(And yes, I understand that the vertical scale starts at some minimum threshold, which is what causes this, but that doesn't make the graphic any less meaningless. If there isn't going to be a relationship in scale, simply provide the numbers. Don't use graphics.)
But if they cut off 0-40, they get to make the whole graph bigger, and as all Real Americans know, bigger is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Zelah Meyer said:
I can't go direct with Apple because I don't have a Mac - but yes, that is indeed a WTF?! graph, and I don't understand why they are using a bar chart that works on that basis either. ???
You can lease a virtual Apple computer over the net. It's cheap and it works. I think I've paid a total of $42.00 in air time to publish three books on iTunes.
Half of that was trying to figure out the Mac OS.

Look here:

www.macincloud.com
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,088 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:
You can lease a virtual Apple computer over the net. It's cheap and it works. I think I've paid a total of $42.00 in air time to publish three books on iTunes.
Half of that was trying to figure out the Mac OS.

Look here:

www.macincloud.com
Wow. I had no idea something like this existed. It never would even have occurred to me. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
/hijacking

If you're going to spend even $42 in airtime to publish a couple books I strongly encourage you to look into refurbished/used mac-mini's. You can find amazing deals on craigslist to the tune of $200-300 and as long as they're not more than 4-5 years old (that's a safe guess on my part, older ones might be fine) you'll be able to do all of your basic publishing needs.

Don't forget it's still a tax write-off as well :)

/done-hijacking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
The graph is certainly correct. It's just useless. (Read my parenthetical below the graph. I stated what you just said. ;D )

What's the point of a graphic if it doesn't tell you anything at a glance? Kobo does this correctly by showing the full bar. Apple does not. It's not a major thing, I just find it amusing that they get such a basic thing so screwy. :)
Yeah… read your parenthetical after I posted. Once had a statistics class where the prof went off about how poorly designed graphs could be used incorrectly to misrepresent data. Will check out the Kobo charts just as soon as I get more sales there. :p Coincidentally, saw a Wool Omnibus thumbnail with link popup on the right-hand side of the screen when I went to check out my Superman's Cape Kobo page. Not sure of how they made the association, but thought it interesting.

KellyHarper said:
/hijacking

If you're going to spend even $42 in airtime to publish a couple books I strongly encourage you to look into refurbished/used mac-mini's. You can find amazing deals on craigslist to the tune of $200-300 and as long as they're not more than 4-5 years old (that's a safe guess on my part, older ones might be fine) you'll be able to do all of your basic publishing needs.

Don't forget it's still a tax write-off as well :)

/done-hijacking
Gonna second the recommendation - hands down one of the most overlooked Apple products. Simply awesome. Just add monitor, keyboard and mouse and you have an Apple computer that will serve you years.
Also good suggestion on age. The older mini is good, but not as easy to play around with, like DVI or HDMI, adding memory, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Does iTunes also have a place where you can see your sales numbers as a list rather than a graph, the way you see a monthly list on KDP?

Apple's bar graph drives me nuts. If you just want to know how many books you've sold (cumulative for month) it's way more work than enough. Yes, it's eye catching and trendy, but it's as annoying as reading a novel in Power Point.

I'm hoping someone with more iTunes savvy than me can show me a button I've missed where I can access ordinary sales information.

Yes???? she says, hopefully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:
You can lease a virtual Apple computer over the net. It's cheap and it works. I think I've paid a total of $42.00 in air time to publish three books on iTunes.
Half of that was trying to figure out the Mac OS.

Look here:

www.macincloud.com
Thanks. :)

At the moment, I'm not selling any at Apple (via Smashwords). When I have more books out and start to make sales there, then I'll probably spring for a second-hand laptop that will run the required software. That's about the only thing I'd want the laptop for - but in the long run it will probably work out cheaper than paying by the hour/minute. That's handy as a backup plan though!

Now, if only the software would run on an iPad, I'd have an excuse to buy one!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top