Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to iTunes and all of the iPod things.....I was a non-apple user before so I'm trying to get accustomed to all of their 'ways' and am having a hard time. Their site is always very slow for me and it is very hard to find things. Windows Media Player is much easier to use and much more straight forward in my opinion.  Anyways, I have a new iTouch so I need to get it all working. I am trying to load CD's (original, not copied) and they are not coming up with the album picture when converted into iTunes. It pulls up the artist info., but not the album. Therefore, it keeps lumping albums into the same icon. What am I doing wrong??  I see that you can have it 'get the album info', but it sounds like it reports it to Apple that you have songs without a cover, therefore making it sound like I'm stealing music! Help!  After all this, here is what I need answered:

How do I load CD's from originals and get the album info too?
How do I import music from Windows Media Player and get the album info also?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Use the get album info option  to get it to identify the correct album info.  It will do ti for albums that Apple doesn't even have.  There should be a place in your iTunes folder to move your music into iTunes.  I'm at work so i don't have iTunes in front of me, but it will do it.  :)

It will want to convert everything to AAC, that is compressed and not as good as loss less, however you can get more on your iPod in compressed mode. :)  Good luck.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been using the 'add folder to library' and 'add file to library' and both seem to be working the same way (no album info) for the music I already have in WMP. As for the CD's I want to add, it asks me if I want to add them to iTunes and says it is converting them, but still no album info. Not sure what else to try.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Put the CD into the drive

Then in Itunes select Advanced (at the top menu bar) and select Get CD Track Names

I prefer to "Rip" (Rip is the term for converting CD's into digital files) my CD's into higher quality MP3 files. MP3 is a more cross platform format, though WAV or losless formats are readily supported on many devices also.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KindleGirl said:
I've been using the 'add folder to library' and 'add file to library' and both seem to be working the same way (no album info) for the music I already have in WMP. As for the CD's I want to add, it asks me if I want to add them to iTunes and says it is converting them, but still no album info. Not sure what else to try.
Under the menu Edit... Preferences..., you will see an option for what to do when a CD is inserted in the PC... My preference is "Show CD," you should set it to what you prefer. Then make sure that the box that says "Automatically retrieve CD track names from internet" is checked. Another item to check is under the Advanced tab: "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library."

Dragging and dropping files that are already on your PC is the best method for moving music into iTunes.... Just drag and drop onto the library, or into a playlist.

To update the album artwork, under the Advanced menu, choose "Get Album Artwork." From there you can also choose to "Get CD Track Names."

For the items you already have ripped in Windows Media Player, they may have lost some of the metadata that would tell iTunes what the Album is.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks, everyone. Looks like I was doing everything right. It was pulling up track names, just not the album cover. Seems like WMP is much more efficient and easier to use, but I guess I'll eventually get used to doing several steps instead of one for WMP. I'm not sure why people love itunes....to me it is much harder to navigate.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Once it is set up, it is a one-step process.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is it one-step? I have all of those things set up and I still have to tell it to go get the album cover info. every time I rip a CD or bring in music from WMP. Am I missing something? Then, for one album it is finding the wrong album cover info. I have a Coyote Ugly soundtrack and it's pulling up some album cover from a Disney/kids movie.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I wish I had a solution for you, I've not run across your problem before....

You might wish to check the discussion groups at iLounge.com, it is a huge iPod community.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have quite a few albums that iTunes cant fine cover art for.  There are a few places you can go get the cover art from, but for me its okay that the art is not there.  I put the songs in the play list I want anyway.  My suggestion would be to do a Google search for finding music cover art.  Probably find something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts