Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been posting for about a week, learning lots, and thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a reader, not a writer, here for all your advice and reading recommendations. Well, that's not totally true. I'm a technical writer by profession. But it's definitely not the same! And my first degree was in resource management; I was a park ranger for 13 years before becoming a tech writer.

I'm a book lover, and have a strong need to "possess" my books. I dont use the library much  (altho I practically lived there as a kid) because if I like the book, I'd want to own it and would end up buying it. But I'm a practical person and I am running out of room for bookshelves. I finally have the lovely library/office I've always wanted, yet there are bookshelves spilling into just about every other room too. So I researched eReaders and am now a proud Kindle owner. It has led to a great intro into the world of indie authors and publishers. Long may you all prosper!

My preferred genres are listed, but I'll read pretty much anything.

--SHTF/apocalyptic fiction (but generally not a zombie fan)
--crime/mystery with alot of forensic detail
--science fiction (but not much fantasy)
--women in the US West
--nature guides and natural history
--evolutionary psychology
--epidemiology

And I'm interested in world history...an area where I feel I was shortchanged in school. So I welcome comprehensive, easy to read (for lazy me) histories of different nations and regions...if anyone has any to recommend.

And I enjoy books centered around horses and western lifestyles as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Hey there, 9MMare,

Especially since you're from Washington, take a look at my new suspense novel "Chuckanut Stalk." It takes place up in Bellingham.

Oh, and welcome to Kindle Boards!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Content removed circa September 2018 after realizing this forum was bought by VerticalScope -- a foreign corporation with seemingly suspicious motives and a bad attitude apparently attempting to grab rights retroactively. They can have the rights to this statement!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Welcome to the world of Kindle.

Many of us had a hard time letting go of out desire for page turning, leather covers and musky aromas......but Kindling if a wonderful way to go.

Enjoy exploring the boards.....lots of friendly folks here.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Welcome!  Gorgeous horse!

The nice thing about Kindle is that you can load it up with good reading, and at the same time save your bookshelf for the books you know you will want to read over and over or use for reference.  :)  It can be the best of both worlds. 

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hello, 9MMare. Welcome aboard. May your stay be long and fruitful.

BTW - how did you come by a name like that??? Just curious.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi, I think you are not alone in buying a Kindle for this reason.  One of our bookshelves collapsed in the middle of the night but a Kindle won't do that.

Welcome to the Light Side.

Martin

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the boards x

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have to tell you....the authors on this board are making out like bandits at my Amazon account's expense! What a great new world!

Hmmm, my name. I have 2 I regularly use online. One is Klingon (yup, "Lursa") that I use on the political forums I participate in, and this one, which I use on a few self-defense shooting forums.

Lursa tends to be very argumentative...she finds the Internet a place to vent her political frustrations. 9Mmare is much more about being prudent and learning all she can. I carry a 9mm semi-automatic and shoot single-action 45s in cowboy mounted shooting.

"The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns." CCW9MM

·
Registered
801 Posts
It's OK to have ebooks and the real thing!

I saw your genres, I think you'll like my medical stories.

Thanks for supporting the self-published author!
Mike Cyra

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi,
Welcome to the Boards. A lot of what you say strikes a chord with me as I've been a bookaholic all my life. I noticed someone said a shelf had collapsed - my books grew out of shelf space some time ago and if the piles of books on every available surface in my study were ever to collapse I'd need a mining team to dig me out. Anyway, enough of the chat. I'm a Scottish writer of dark psychological crime. My crime books are set in Dundee - 1 paperback Dead Wood & 1 e-book Night Watcher. I have also published a historical family saga (e-book) set in 1830 - A Salt Splashed Cradle. My books are on Amazon.co.uk as well as Amazon.com, and Smashwords. Have a look at my website if you want to know more. In the meantime, happy reading you'll find lots of choice on this forum.
Chris L.  ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi, and welcome. I'm a writer, avid reader and Kindle enthusiast.  My piles have books have suddenly stopped growing.  ;)YOu will love your Kindle.

Best, Joan
Happy Reading!

·
Registered
16 Posts
MartinLake said:
Hi, I think you are not alone in buying a Kindle for this reason. One of our bookshelves collapsed in the middle of the night but a Kindle won't do that.

Welcome to the Light Side.

Martin
LOL I hear you Martin... No more reenforcing floors.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome to the boards. I never thought I'd give up my paperback books. There was just something about snuggling with a book on the couch, but once I read one book on the Kindle, I was hooked! The only thing you have to watch is how easy it is to spend lots of money buying up tons of books!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts