Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally happened. Today's the day I got my first one star review. Strangely, it goesn't hurt as much as I expected.

Firstly, it's on Barnes and Noble, and secondly the reason they gave it a 1 star was: ''I was engrossed in the story and it suddenly stopped." So they were enjoying the story and are annoyed it's not longer. That's a good thing, right? (the book was clearly marked as a novella and a prequel but that's by the by).

Now I'm just waiting for the 1 star that says my books are the biggest pile of drivel they have ever read. That's when the tissues and tub of icecream will come out.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
nadinucca said:
But how do you know it ends with a cliffhanger if you don't read it? ???
SPOILERS.
;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
nadinucca said:
But how do you know it ends with a cliffhanger if you don't read it? ???
Reviews. :) Lots of reviewers are kind enough to warn about it. I have a specific category for books that end up in a cliffhanger, so I know not to pick them up.

My point however was more to the 1 star review, that perhaps it was a one star because it ended up in a cliffhanger, even if the reader otherwise loved it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glynn James said:
I recently had an awesome one star review.
The lady said she loved the book and would read everything I'd written, and then gave it one star. I can only presume it was some government controlled conspiracy pitched against me
...or maybe she didn't notice the box where you rate a book.
...or maybe she thought 1 star meant top notch?
...or it was aliens. I'm going with aliens.
Yep I'd go with aliens. I had a similar three star review. When I saw the star rating I was worried but the actual review said how much she enjoyed the book and was waiting for the next one! Hmmm. Moral of the story? Don't try and figure out reviewers. It'll send you crazy.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Aww, what a bummer 1 star review! They could have at least given you another one or two since they seemed to be engrossed by the story.

I recently got a 1 start that blasted a short story of mine in perma free, and I LAUGHED about it. It was amazing and I kind of love it, but it seemed like the reviewer wasn't actually part of my intended audience (the downside to giving away free books, I guess). But then, I received a 2 star on my pen name that really depressed me.

But at least you're engrossing, right? That's a good thing to take away from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts