Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I lowered the price of my newest novel (Setup On Front Street) to 99¢ today. It was at $2.99 and going nowhere (100,000-200,000 on Amazon), so I'm trying this. It's worked for a lot of authors on KB, so I hope to get some positive results.

I have another noir novel at $4.79 (publisher's price) and a noir short story collection at 99¢, neither of which are doing anything, but maybe this change will help.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mike Dennis said:
Well, I lowered the price of my newest novel (Setup On Front Street) to 99¢ today. It was at $2.99 and going nowhere (100,000-200,000 on Amazon), so I'm trying this. It's worked for a lot of authors on KB, so I hope to get some positive results.

I have another noir novel at $4.79 (publisher's price) and a noir short story collection at 99¢, neither of which are doing anything, but maybe this change will help.

Wish me luck!
Mike,

Good luck with your pricing change!!

I put together a 99 cent club on Facebook to help our fellow authors work together to get word out about their works, etc.

Feel free to check it out.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_224718417556730&ap=1

Raymond

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good luck!! I lowered my first one as a "lost leader" to my new novel, and I've sold 30 in a week. Hopefully picking up new readers along the way!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Good luck! I'm lowering one of mine to .99 for a week, we'll see what it does. Sometimes it helps, other times there is no big difference, according to what people have shared.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I started, I priced my novella at $3.50, then $2.99 (got a few sales then), and finally I joined the club too ($.99), and that's when my sales started to increase.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck Mike - and do make sure that you let people know that you've changed the price. Good opportunity for a renewed push on promotion.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Good luck!

I lowered mine a week ago and can't say that the few extra sales have made a lot of difference in rank, and I'm certainly earning less.  I'm leaving it at 99 cents until the end of July, and then maybe I'll experiment with a higher price.

I do think the 99 cent club will get you on more of the websites for cheap reads/bargin reads, etc. IMO, it's the cheapest form of promotion you can buy. That in itself will hopefully bring you more readers.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I'm going the other direction with Lunch Break Thrillers tomorrow. It will remain at $0.99 until I make the changes tomorrow then it will be $4.99 min when Amazon make the change. I've had a good run at 99c and enjoyed the rankings, but it would take too long to cover the editing proofing and other associated costs at 99c. I honestly think that the 99c price has had its day and is been overused in some, though not all circumstances.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mike Dennis said:

Wish me luck!
I'm very new at this; so, I don't know about what I speak, but...I used the 99-center to supposedly attract readers who would then buy my other titles, which cost more. My 99-cent book hasn't sold spectacularly well -- except in England, where (last time I checked) it ranked #17 in its genre and is outselling the US edition 6:1. Funny thing is, one of my $3.49 books is selling almost as much as the 99 cent one in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm trying an experiment with going the opposite direction.. and let me tell you, after pricing at 99c for six months, it's really nerve-wracking.

When Patriot Paradox was first released, way back in October of last year, I initially priced it at $2.99. I made a few sales a day, which was okay, but I wanted more. Around Christmas, I decided to bite the bullet and give 99c a try. It worked like a charm. I've sold 16K+ copies of the title since then, reaching as high as #156 on the overall Amazon charts and for a while, selling >250 copies a day. Make no mistake, it was AWESOME to sell that many copies. I felt like a king. However, a few weeks ago, around the beginning of summer, things started to drift.. 200...300...400...700.. 1200.. Blame it on Lady Gaga.. blame it on the sunshine deals.. it doesn't matter.. I found myself in a position where I had overall positive reviews, fans clamoring for the sequel, and good web presence. I was hanging out high on my genre lists.. but I had NO more pricing ammunition with which to entire readers. I was stuck at 99c. Jumping on the Amazon free train may have helped, but I wasn't quick enough to get things lined up for that (next time).

My latest title, Fire: Elements of The Undead, has been selling 4-6 copies a day at 2.99. Not a ton, especially compared to Patriot in its heyday,  but when you do the math, it adds up to a few hundred bucks a month after taxes, which is more than enough to fund editing and cover design on my forthcoming titles. I figured if I can do the same with Patriot consistently, then that's another couple hundred bucks a month.. And if I can also do it with Self Arrest, yep, you guessed it, another couple of hundred bucks. Pretty soon I'm making the same amount of money I was making with one book at 99c without constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering who's going to knock me off of my perch.

Will I stay at $2.99? Not forever, I'm sure. The second book in the Patriot series is coming this fall. I'll probably drop Patriot for awhile to bring in new readers..Then again, I may keep it at 2.99 and introduce the new title at 3.99. We'll see.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Curious to see if this works for anybody. I lowered the price of my two novels Slate and Happy Birthday to Me to 99 cents for all of May, and they didn't sell a thing, and they've actually done better at $2.99. Kind of surprised by that. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
A 99 cent sale will go nowhere if you are not advertising it around. Schedule a blog tour to coincide with the price drop, imo. Word of mouth is what is going to increase your sales - not a magical 99 cent bullet. Whether it comes from putting your newly 99 cent book on a site like Good Reads, Kindle Nation Daily, Pixels of Ink, or a bunch of blogs, you have to let people know about it. Your own blog, Facebook, etc. isn't worth a flip if no one checks these sites. After you've built a brand, then you can use these sites to advertise, but really, you have to farm out some of that marketing to get onto reader's radar.

And the Writer's Cafe is NOT a good place to advertise. We can encourage you and give advice, but you need to post this kind of thing where readers can find it. Sure, writers also read, but nowhere near the volume of who you REALLY want to read your books. There's a sea of interested readers out there. 99 cents is a form of bait. On some days it works, but it is just a complement to our techniques as marketers and writers. I think that having a book that people will want to recommend to others is really the most powerful start. After that, it's exposure that counts to start that web of recommendations that is going to launch you into the top 10,000 paid Kindle list.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm not going to drop either of mine, but from all the 99c threads around here, I am putting together something else, something smaller, that I will sell for 99c, to hopefully entice people in to the bigger titles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts