Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it from Target but I have a few questions

I discovered that it really is like paper-- you need a light source at night to read (Unless you all know of some feature that lights up the screen internally that I haven't seen as yet)

Each time you turn it off there are cool author picture graphics.... has anyone seen a duplication yet? Anyone know how many graphics they have for this thing on file? Do the more expensive models have twice the amount of graphics in  sleep mode?

I wasn't about to spend 59 bucks for a cover.... anyone know of a good place I can go for a cover that's closer to 10 dollars?

What's the secret to keeping the screen clean? (So I know)

I haven't fully researched it as yet (too busy having fun reading for now) but apparently I don't have wi-fi in my immediate area so I had to call an Amazon tech and he talked me through the process of downloading from my Kindle for PC that's already on my computer (and a kindle is a zillion times more convenient than reading a book on the computer!)

Also- I had read that this 114 dollar model had commercials/ads? I have yet to see any after multiple readings. Am I missing something? (Not that I am- I hate ads anyway)

So, yes, I now have one of my own. It's just as cool and amazing as the iPOD

I await your comments and answers to my questions

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hi, Frank!

There is no internal light source, just like paper. :)

There is perhaps a dozen or so pictures used as a screen display when the unit is sleeping.  There are the same for all of the latest generation Kindles.

Check the accessories forum for cover options.  There are less expensive alternatives.

The screen doesn't need frequent cleaning in my experience.  A soft towel/cloth dampened with water is enough.  You can also use eyeglass cleaner.  Some will say not to use anything with alcohol in it, but this is not a problem. 

The $114 version has ads and special offers.  They will not show up until you have connected your Kindle to a wi-fi network.  This is also how to download books directly.  The manual will tell you how (its already on your Kindle).

Have fun!

·
Registered
685 Posts
On the wifi, that is normally something YOU set up in your home. It isn't the same as the 3G which uses cell towers. If you were seeing it in your home, and you didn't have a wireless router creating it - then odds are you would be using your neighbors.

I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you know your neighbors well and trust them to 1, not care you are doing this, and 2, not then packet sniff your traffic and get your amazon password.

Same for using it out and about.... Only get on wifi nets you "trust", and be careful about what you do use while on them (less an issue on the kindle I guess than a more robust browsing device).

Just remember, practice safe wifi'ing  ;D

Enjoy the kindle, and like Elk said, until you get on wifi you won't see the special offers!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Elk

And thanks Tracey  I guess I had better do a bit of research into this wi fi phenomenon
Good thing I did get the cheapest version and have to transfer it from my PC

Good info    Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
Depending on your computer, you might be able to share your connection and create your own wifi network that way. I'm not sure how to do it these days (I'm a Mac), but if your computer has a wireless card in it there should be a way to share a hardwired connection.

Of course, it isn't bad to connect the kindle to the Computer and transfer that way either... Could save you $ on the impulse purchases too!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
FrankZubek said:
I wasn't about to spend 59 bucks for a cover.... anyone know of a good place I can go for a cover that's closer to 10 dollars?
The lighted cover is IMO worth every penny. I bought all of mine used off of Amazon, I think I averaged about $40 each getting them. I think there is an offer to get a new one half off with the special offers on your kindle but you need to get connected wirelessly to get the offers.

The reason I say think is because I haven't connected wirelessly to Amazon for like 3 weeks and my screen saver says to connect wirelessly to get new offers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I agree with Forster about the lighted cover. I hated messing around trying to get my mighty bright in the exact position I wanted. Plus I never had new batteries when I needed them and you don't need batteries for the lighted cover.

Melissa

·
Registered
12 Posts
Forster said:
The lighted cover is IMO worth every penny. I bought all of mine used off of Amazon, I think I averaged about $40 each getting them. I think there is an offer to get a new one half off with the special offers on your kindle but you need to get connected wirelessly to get the offers.
I have the $59 cover with built in light and it IS very nice and all, but the light is not that great. It really only illuminates the upper right hand of the screen. I ended up buying a clip-on light to use in conjunction with the built-in so that I can read in bed late at night.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The "ads" are usually accompanied by coupons for various things at Amazon.  One of the coupons that has come up in the past was an Amazon lighted cover for I believe half price.  It's pricy at $60, but if that coupon pops up again it's definitely worth $30.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
jbruner123 said:
I have the $59 cover with built in light and it IS very nice and all, but the light is not that great. It really only illuminates the upper right hand of the screen. I ended up buying a clip-on light to use in conjunction with the built-in so that I can read in bed late at night.
I would try to get the cover exchanged. I exchanged one of mine for the same reason and the replacement worked so much better.

Melissa

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the cult.  Your robes will be tailored at the next ceremony.  All hail Bezos.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome to the cult is right.  ;) I've had Mabel (my Kindle) for a couple of months and I take her everywhere!

I would highly recommend a case because once you become attached you don't want anything to damage it. I got an M-Edge cover and the M-Edge light which I use a lot. I can read anytime anywhere without needing a lamp, or daylight. I traveled with my first Kindle and something pressed hard enough on it that it created a small smudge-like dot on the screen. Amazon was great and sent a replacement right away. That's when I decided I really needed a cover. I also recommend a skin - they're like a big sticker that prevents smudges on the kindle.

I've gotten books using the Whispernet and by attaching Mabel to the computer and downloading. Both work great.

I hope you enjoy your kindle!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome, Welcome...

This is the best forum...there is such an abundance of info here...you should read it all!  Well, when you are taking a break from reading your Kindle!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome to the cult, indeed! I've had my Kindle for less than a month and I'm totally in love with it. We got one last year that was supposed to be for both of us (hubby and me) and he never let go of it so I had to buy my own :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Last weekend I checked at best buy. They had the purple m-edge executive cover on sale for 19.99. For the light issue. M-edge also has a light that is made to fit into their covers that runs about 19.99 too

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Libraries often have wi-fi, and Starbucks and other coffee shops, and McDonald's sometimes. There must be somewhere in your area. I have it at home now just because it came standard on my AT&T modem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome to the board. I have had my K2I for just over a year and it is the best purchase I have made in my 63 years on this earth. I take it everywhere I go. It has been on 4 cruises and performed without issue. I bought the Amazon cover when I purchase the Kindle itself and it surely serves the purpose. I actually dropped my Taysean from about shoulder high onto my concrete sidewalk and no damage at all to the kindle.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts