Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everyone -

I generally don't do reviews and leave it up to others. I decided to make an exception for the Kindle just submitted my review. I'll be looking to see if it makes it to the Kindle reviews page as I put in a plug for Kindle Boards. Didn't realize URLS were "No-no" and had to go through my review to take them out and replace them with words. If it shows, I'll be emailing the URL to family members ;D

For those who really want to know, its pasted below. Warning! It is long and I took some (veiled?) shots at my favorite review peeves.

12.15.08 - It did make its way onto the Amazon review page & has gathered 6/7 useful reviews feedback!

============== The Kindle is AMAZING! =====================

I have had this for a few weeks now since mid-November, and I LOVE it. I was getting one as a gift and the more I researched the Kindle, the more I liked it. I ended up purchasing two! One for a gift and the other for myself. Previous to the Kindle purchase, I had explored the Sony reader at my local Target and came away impressed by eInk and unimpressed by the device itself. AND the fact that Sony books *cost more on average*, than Kindle books. Lots more. Check it out for yourself.

I KNEW there would be no backlighting because eInk technology does not allow it. For myself, I love the screen the Kindle uses - I find far easier to read than ANY backlight device. It's truly something you have to see & experience yourself to know how great it is. Also, the ability to change fonts (there are 6 sizes available) is a blessing!

For those aching for this feature, DO NOT BUY a Kindle! Buy or use a PDA or iPod or similar device. I particularly like the fact there there is *no backlighting* because it causes too much strain on my eyes for reading + it prevents headaches caused by using a backlight screen for hours on end. A simple cheap booklight works great for me and should satisfy any light needs you may have.

For those still saying they need to have a backlight screen, look at the Sony PRS 700. It uses eInk and also has built in lights for illumination.

WHISPERNET RULES. I love the fact that I can purchase a book in *less than* a minute. I've purchased books both ways - from the Kindle and from my computer. Of the two, I find I like using the computer because it is a bit easier just because my computer screen is bigger. However, I am planning to do some travel and I know that Whispernet is available to me for that which is so great! Amazon has all the books I'm interested in available at the Kindle bookstore, and are adding more all the time.

PLEASE NOTE - CHECK THE SPRINT MAP AVAILABLE ON THE KINDLE ABOUT HALFWAY DOWN THE PAGE AFTER THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION to make sure you live in an area that Sprint covers. This should let you know if you will be able to use the EVDO wireless feature of the Kindle. If not, I would still encourage the purchase of a Kindle because you can download books to your computer (Mac or Windows) and transfer them to your Kindle via USB cable. I also know that there are hundreds of thousands of other ebooks available for free or *very low cost* that the Kindle can read after a simple transfer process. There is a great thread in the Amazon Kindle discussion that covers it called "Million-Kindle-books-available-now".

As far as the location of the page turn bars, I have had ZERO problems because I keep it in the case. Fold the front cover behind the back cover and you are set. No need to take the Kindle out of the cover except to replace the battery or do a re-set if that's necessary. There is space between the Kindle itself and the back cover for me to place a finger in there to turn the Whispernet and power buttons on & off. I have found the Amazon case perfectly adequate for home use. For travel purposes, I will probably purchase a case to carry a case covered Kindle in.

The highlighting and dictionary features of the Kindle are fantastic! I find myself using the dictionary much more often than usual because I don't have to go anywhere to use one. I love the ability to highlight and save without have have a physical highlighter or pen & paper handy.

I've not tried the web browser a whole lot. I use computers for web browsing. I will say what everyone else has said about it: it is **very basic** and **slow**. It's nice to know that it is there and available when needed.

For those interested in a notbook/laptop vs a Kindle, check out this thread on the Amazon Kindle discussion and look for "Why-Kindle-not-Laptop".

All in all, I am VERY HAPPY that I chose the Kindle and own one. It's so easy to read, lightweight, and portable. Goes easily into a purse or backpack. Battery life is awesome and Whispernet a revolution. I *don't* miss color, which is a something a lot of people seem to complain about. 80 percent of books are black and white. The other 20 percent are picture/photo books or textbooks. Kindle displays images extremely well in its current 8 increment grayscale screen. Sure, it would be nice if more available. As it is now, it's really good--you will see how well by its screen savers--the Kindle comes with *lots* of them. And if you want to, you can create your own screen savers. Google "Kindle Board" to find out much, much more about the Kindle.

I firmly believe that you will not regret purchasing a Kindle if you do so. It is so worth the price.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I posted a review, too Marci. I also signed up for the "Want to see a Kindle in your hometown" or something like that... so far I have had no responses from anyone wanting to see the kindle.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Excellent review and very useful pointers for people looking to buy a Kindle. I agree with every word. :)

G

·
Hey! You copied my review..if I had written one.  I didn't because I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said yet. 

You pretty much covered all of the bases.  It was a very good review.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice job, Marci.  If you want to find your review- which can be a chore if there are lots of others- just go to My Account on Amazon and look under Personalization, then click on Product Reviews Written By You. Took me a long time to figure this out with lots of time spent scrolling through reviews trying to find mine.  This is especially difficult if there are lots of them and one's review isn't particularly complimentary.  Those tend not to be "popular" and fall to the lower parts of the revue list.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cush said:
Nice job, Marci. If you want to find your review- which can be a chore if there are lots of others- just go to My Account on Amazon and look under Personalization, then click on Product Reviews Written By You. Took me a long time to figure this out with lots of time spent scrolling through reviews trying to find mine. This is especially difficult if there are lots of them and one's review isn't particularly complimentary. Those tend not to be "popular" and fall to the lower parts of the revue list.
Thanks for this tip, Cush!

I was just checking my review prior to coming over here & it's already a few pages back from the front. Now I know a more direct way to access it.

I'd need manyxmanyxmany more useful review clicks to make into the top 100 "Useful Reviews" list, much less the top 10. The #1 useful review has been there forever with 10,000+ positive review. That is so huge!

Don't think mine will be quite so popular :D

Marci

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vegas_Asian said:
I'm still writing my review. It is going to be my first review, too.... but Marci I think you cover most of the it.
Vegas Asian -

That's great! I'm glad you are writing a review, too.

Let me know when you post it & give the title so I can look for it -

Marci

1 - 15 of 15 Posts