Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now that all 6 books are available on Kindle, I highly recommend this series, especially to those Outlander fans. I read the fist 2 books while on vacation in Cancun, and could not put them down, much to the dismay of DH. (but... but... she just got rescued by the pirate, I have to find out what heppens next!! And please bring me another Tequila Sunrise!)

The series is set in a post-Roman Empire pseudo Europe. The backstory is this - at the Crucifixion, the blood of Jesus mingled with the tears of Mary Magdalene in the soil of Mother Earth, giving birth to Elua. Elua wandered the earth, and attracted the devotion of several Angels, who chose, out of love, to forsake their heavenly realm to follow him in his travels. One of these angels, Naamah, at one point chose to lie with the King of Persis, so that Elua could be freed from prison. At various times afterwards, she chose to lie with strangers so that they could eat. Eventually, Elua and his companions settled in a new land, Terre d'Ange, and created a people of surpassing beauty, living by the precept Love as thou wilt. Because of what Naamah chose to do out of her own free will and her love of Elua, the profession of Courtesan is a sacred calling.

Kushiel is another one of the angels who follows Elua, having formerly held the position of Punisher of God.

So to the story - the heroine, Phedra, is raised in the Night Court (where the courtesans preside) and is marked by Kushiels Dart - a blood red blotch in her left eye. She discovers that this mark destines her to experience pain as pleasure. She experiences loss, betrayal, heartbreak, war and torture, as well as beauty, loyalty, and a love that endures through it all.

The first 3 books are her story - the second 3 follow the next generation. I recommend these books to all who love losing themselves in a character, and find themselves thinking about the story long after the books have been read.

Kushiel's Avatar (kindle version doesn't have a picture, don't know why)

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is one of my favorite series, too. Carey tells an excellent story, with very lush writing. I can't wait to get her next two books (totally different stories from the Kushiel series.)

·
Registered
679 Posts
This series is a really great one... I also recomend it. I will give the warning thoughfor some who may be unconfratble with it: it does contain some semi-graphic sex, including S&M.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TM said:
This series is a really great one... I also recomend it. I will give the warning thoughfor some who may be unconfratble with it: it does contain some semi-graphic sex, including S&M.
true, I was thinking of mentioning that, but in hindsight it didn't seem that much more graphic than stuff in the Outlander series.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
But for those who've never read or care to read Outlander but might want to read this, it's always good to know (even if we don't think it's a negative, it's good to know  ;) ).

·
Registered
679 Posts
I never read the Outlander series... so wouldn't know.

I donlt really think of it as very graphic (since they don;t often get into the nitty-gritty details)... however, i know others who do consider it graphic - and with the "casual" nature of sex, and the S&M elements, thought i should say something.... I think the 1st and 3rd book (Dart and Avatar) probably have the most in it...

I do love the series, and was so glad to see Dart was finally Kindlized

·
Registered
679 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
This is one of my favorite series, too. Carey tells an excellent story, with very lush writing. I can't wait to get her next two books (totally different stories from the Kushiel series.)
Have you read Banewreaker and Godslayer (both are kindlized)? They are good too...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TM said:
I donlt really think of it as very graphic (since they don;t often get into the nitty-gritty details)... however, i know others who do consider it graphic - and with the "casual" nature of sex, and the S&M elements, thought i should say something....
well, she is a courtesan... and gets pleasure from pain... in a country whose motto is love as thou wilt... so if that's not warning enough, then they deserve to get shocked a little bit!

TM said:
Have you read Banewreaker and Godslayer (both are kindlized)? They are good too...
I downloaded a sample of Banewreaker and could not get past the first couple pages... I like made-up universes but when there are too many characters and too much going on, I lose interest. I think I like first-person narritives that give you the backstory as you go along, not make you figure it all out before you even start.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh cool! I've always been wanting to read this series. I even checked a few weeks ago and the first book (and another--maybe the second book?) wasn't available yet on Kindle, so I'm glad to see that has changed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I downloaded the sample of Dart - the formatting/type is not the best.  I am wondering if i should wait before buying it to see if they improve it...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The first three books are my favorites. I was a little leery given the subject matter, but found it wasn't uncomfortable to read. I really got into the story.

·
Registered
455 Posts
TM said:
Yes, I loved these, too....but really hated the ending. Sigh...I was rooting for the bad guy. He was such a sad, misunderstood bad guy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
Yes, I loved these, too....but really hated the ending. Sigh...I was rooting for the bad guy. He was such a sad, misunderstood bad guy.
I felt the same way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts