Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new to your site and have a question...

I've read a lot about downloading free public domain books, but I would like to know your recommendations on which site to get the best formatted books for a K2. I've debated on whether or not to just buy them from Amazon. I want to download all the classics by Jane Austen, but have seen so many different versions that it boggles the mind. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome to the Boards, Rita

I have Jane Austen from Amazon and from manybooks.net.  I have only read one from manybooks, and did not have any problems.  Although, most of the time I just pay the .80 cents or so and get public domains from Amazon. 
deb

·
Registered
261 Posts
I downloaded all of Jane Austen's books from feedbooks.com and have read two of them. No problem with formatting, and the books have Table of Contents so that you can select the chapter if necessary (not all public domain books are transferred to electronic format with that setup).

I have downloaded other books from feedbooks and have never had a problem with any of them. You can access the site from your Kindle and download directly from there to your Kindle, without having to get it to your computer first and then transfer via USB (although that is an option if you prefer that process).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Rita,

I downloaded the free version of Pride and Prejudice from Amazon. If I recall correctly, it did not have many OCR errors or formatting problems - it was pretty clean. However, there was no table of contents and the next chapter begins on the same page as the ending of the last chapter. This did not bother me.

If there is a free version on Amazon available, I usually try that out first. If I don't like the formatting or there are too many OCR errors, I look for a better copy - either for pay or from another site.

Vonda

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought this complete collection of Jane Austen for $4.79:

It has all of her novels plus a short biography and a filmography, which is fun to have. I haven't read them all, but have found no formatting issues so far.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I got the complete illustrated Jane Austen from Mobile Reference through Amazon. $4.79

I like the Mobi books because they only take up one line in my content manager, and they have navigable TOC for each book.

I've also gotten Mobi's Dickens and Shakespeare's plays compilations.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I got my Jane Austens from mobileread forums - I have their guide downloaded to my Kindle so I can download direct via Whispernet.  I also have the feedbooks guide downloaded.  (That reminds me - I need to update those guides!)

I got the mobileread Austens because they had illustrated versions which were kind of nice to have - I have a K1 so the page turns are a little slow on the illustrations, and they'd be faster and show better on a K2.  No issues at all with the formatting, though.  And by not getting them through Amazon, they aren't in my content manager forever and ever.  (They are on my SD card.)  Doubtful I'd read them again - just because I have so many books to read the first time. 

·
Registered
601 Posts
BK said:
I bought this complete collection of Jane Austen for $4.79:

It has all of her novels plus a short biography and a filmography, which is fun to have. I haven't read them all, but have found no formatting issues so far.
Thanks for this. I just 1-clicked...i thought this was a great deal...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Gertie and BK...Thanks so much. Amazon has this for 99 cents right now so I just bought it and downloaded it. I can't wait to start reading these!

To Zeronewbury...Yuck! That looks gross!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.