Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I'm no Writer, but I'm nonetheless quite interested in epublishing.
I closely follow a few blogs, one of which beeing that of Jane Fancher.
She's bringing her backlist to ebooks, as some of you do. As a former graphic artist, she is redoing her covers as well.
Her guest post (Jane Fancher : Of Covers and Frustrationson Night Bazaar hosts some interesting comments regarding the publishing/republishing and covers, hence my posting it here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Covers are...really difficult.  It's a hard decision to make when you're working with a cover designer, or working on one yourself, as to what elements should be present, and how to put them all in, and what can be read when it's made terribly small vs. how good it looks at full size.  It is, in fact, the most frustrating aspect of publishing for me.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Great post! 

I like to see "decisions" posts on how people are dealing with covers. (I'm actually going to start a Tuesday series on the creation of a cover for one of my oddball series, myself.)

In this case I thought most of her new artwork better, but the old typography was better.  (However the old typography all felt dated, so it's nothing lost -- just nothing gained in that department.)  I especially liked her discussion of the first one.  In that case, if you didn't know the book, you might think the original cover better, because it really did hit all sorts of genre buttons, etc.  The problem is that they're the wrong buttons.  Sometimes a "better" cover is worse.

I have to admit, though, that the one with the cat -- I REALLY liked the original better. 

Camille

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm in the middle of working on my cover, so I appreciate reading about the decision-making process behind different cover versions, and how they can go wrong.

Camille: I prefer the cat version too--both because I'm a cat person and because I think less is more in design.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments :)

What I found most interesting in the post is that of the "control" that was lost with a traditional publisher, whereas it is taken back as a self-publisher. It was in that sense that I forwarded the post.

As for the before/after comparison, I must say that while I much prefer the new artwork to the old one, I "learned" from my checking out the "covers threads" here a lot, and I think the newer ones are missing in two instances : "typefaces", and "composition", but also are a little bit "over the top" regarding the colors saturation...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts