Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to say that I am actually Stephen King, and I'm trying to get some Indie Cred with new pen names and stuff.

January has not been as great as I'd hoped. Amazon hates me, as of January 17th. I have sent them a tin-foil-hat email, so we'll see if they have any ideas.

(About 50 titles of varying lengths and genres and names, cuz I'm random like that)
Amazon.com: 3043 sales
Amazon.co.uk: 329 sales

Most of these are 99cent titles, so please don't ask me to pay off your mortgage. (My numbers are way down since December.)

I hope you prawns did better and can offer some tips.

·
Registered
728 Posts
January has been my best month thus far. I've released my seventh title this past week (since September) and they are all 70 percent royalty except the short-short. I don't want to get into specifics, but including paperback sales, this was my first month breaking triple digits in royalties. I also had NO RETURNS for the first time ever. On amazon I sold on .com, uk, de, and jp. On other sites I sold....absolutely nothing, for the first time ever.

All told, the amount I made this month equals what I made last year in total.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In a similar boat... everything took a big hit January 17th after a weaker-than-expected start.

I'm almost exactly 50% off from December.  :-\

·
Registered
510 Posts
As I stated earlier on, the Gadsby re-issue went through its best month yet--21 net sales in U.S./India, and 4 in the UK.

And on the U.S./India side...guess what?

I got my first refund! (Doesn't that make me a real publisher or what?)

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Wow. I feel kinda inadequate, but I am very happy with the 304 books I sold, most of them for $4.99, so I'll get about $900. That is more than I'd have gotten letting them sit on a publisher's desk (I still have fulls outstanding for some works, from more than two years back).

As a very nice surprise, Amazon UK has price-matched my free short story (after about a year of it being free in the US).

I have also already lost my BBoS for the US and UK (and they're not even freebie downloads).

·
Registered
977 Posts
January wasn't bad considering I'd dropped off the face of the earth for six months. I knew I would be in for an uphill battle. So...

7 books, 1 boxed set. [email protected]$4.99, [email protected]$3.99, [email protected]$2.99, [email protected]$.99

2209 Amz.com
256 Amz.everywhere else

I'm not going to complain, but to put it in perspective -- I only had 5 books out last January and made double the royalties. Lesson learned -- don't lose momentum!

·
Registered
472 Posts
A hideous month on Amazon. Pathetic.

Down around 12% on December '12 and down 45% on Jan '12... and in Jan '12 I had fewer titles on sale.

Think I took that hit on Jan 17th too, Frank... on top of never having recovered from whatever happened back in mid Sept '12. Have been in a steady decline since then, despite having a really wonderful boom month in Aug '12

But at least I'm selling at Apple and elsewhere, so all is not lost. :)

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
I sold around 900 copies in January, mostly across my historical mystery and high fantasy books. Thanks to having more books in the 70 % royalty range, this is the biggest earnings month I've ever had, so if it goes on this way I'll be happy. February, please be kind.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 5th book came out Jan. 23rd (I also have a few shorts for 99 cents, but the don't really sell at all). Sold a total of 2220, most of them at $3.99 and $4.99. I started to see that dip around the 17th, but the new release and a BookBub promo on a free day that also boosted all my other titles saved my ass. I have nothing to compare to as last January, I had one book out.
That's all on .com Across everything else, I sold less than 20. If anyone has any suggestions how to sell on Kobo or Amazon outside of .com...I'm all ears.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well, I made 6 paid sales on .com and 3 paid sales on .co.uk which, apart from Christmas, is pretty good for me.

Like Patty, I've lost my UK Beige Wall of Shame on a paid sale. The book is currently sitting at no. 99 on the Top 100 Paid Fantasy > Short Stories list.

But anyway, this thread is about January so I will say that January across non-Amazon outlets was not bad either.

Hopefully 2013 will be a better year than last year.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've had a good January (for me), up 400% on Dec '12 -- but I did add a bunch of new books in Jan, so that's about right. Sold on all platforms, even Kobo! Smashwords accounts for about 10% of those sales, Amazon (all countries) accounts for 83%, everywhere else 7%. No novels, all novelettes/novellas. None under $1.99.

February will probably be slow as I don't have as many new releases planned.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
One book, 251 sales across all editions and platforms, most at $3.99. The high (for me) number of sales comes from a good post giveaway bump.

·
Registered
935 Posts
January was mixed but still pretty good. I had a dire Select giveaway but managed to sell 50 copies (UK) and 20 copies (.com) of a new release  - a small personal milestone. ;)

And I've lost my Feb UK BBOS already.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Title 1 went on sale the 11th (more like the 12th it was so late) and title 2 on the 25th.

28 sales (I think. KDP shows me nothing currently.)
1 borrow
0 returns

I'm new. I currently only sell shorts. I expected worse, to be honest.

That's a bit more than a sale per day per title average, and the borrow was nice, because I'm at 35% royalties on both my shorts.

Big bucks, I am not earning, but you start somewhere. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
2274 books sold for the month. 29 titles, two pen names.

I thought for sure I'd break 3k, but sales slowed to a crawl during the final week of Jan... But I can't complain, because it was ten times what I sold in December.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I sold three books in total in January (since I've never yet made a sale through the distribution outlets at Smashwords, I'm going to guess that there's no point in waiting for those numbers!)  One of those books was to myself - a belated mandatory deposit copy for the British Library.

I'm still at the stage of being pleasantly surprised at every sale.  I'm amazed that anyone finds them in amongst everything else on there!

·
Registered
385 Posts
1,014 books across two books.  Dark Grid is $2.99 and Dark Road is $3.99.  We didn't have any sales or promotions this month. 

Excited to say we are getting pretty close to the 20,000-books-sold milestone.  :)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts