Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VERY disappointed that no books by JD Salinger are available on Kindle.
While I can't pre-order, my Kindle is a gift, I was looking for the first 6 titles or so I want to download.

2-3 would have been JD Salinger's.

I am thinking I want to reread some of the books many of us read in high school.

The only books I know I will download so far is:

1.) The Grapes of Wrath
2.) Canterbury Tales

Eric

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
There are a lot of classics, like Salinger and To Kill a Mockingbird, that haven't come to the Kindle yet. These authors are still alive, their books have never been out of print, and they sell well. I can only imagine that agents/publishers are having delicate talks, trying to persuade them to join the e-ink age. Let's hope they see the light.

L

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leslie said:
There are a lot of classics, like Salinger and To Kill a Mockingbird, that haven't come to the Kindle yet. These authors are still alive, their books have never been out of print, and they sell well. I can only imagine that agents/publishers are having delicate talks, trying to persuade them to join the e-ink age. Let's hope they see the light.

L
Say it ain't so!

To Kill a Mockingbird....
Possibly my all time favorite book!

Eric

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Yes, for months, we've been klicking like crazy on To Kill A Mockingbird in the "I Want This Book on Kindle" thread.... Watership Down, too.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Isn't JD Salinger the one who won't even do interviews? He's like notoriously private? I guess I'm not surprised to hear that he's not available in an ebook format, but I can see how you would be disappointed.

Hopefully he'll come around. I hope Harper Lee will come around, myself, since I love TKAM too.

Are you familiar with Bloom County and Opus the Penguin? Even if you think I'm now babbling incoherently, you might like this cartoon:
http://store.cartoonistgroup.com/opus/product_info.php?products_id=576971&action=add_update_product

(Click on the image to enlarge it. I promise it's worth it.)

I think Opus is holding a Sony Ereader (b/c it has a backlight). I actually went to Sony to see if they had TKAM in their library, but they don't.
Be patient. there are lots of cool things to read in the meantime.

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, I'm well acquainted with Berkely Breathed, "Bloom County," Opus, "Akkkkk," and wheelchairs.

Are you familiar with "This Modern World?"

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Isn't JD Salinger the one who won't even do interviews? He's like notoriously private? I guess I'm not surprised to hear that he's not available in an ebook format, but I can see how you would be disappointed.
Yes, that's the one. He lives over in Cornish, NH and people see him in town. He likes to buy office supplies, apparently.

He just had his 90th birthday, I think on New Year's Day. There was an article in the New York Times and if I recall correctly, someone posted a link to it here on KBs.

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Isn't JD Salinger the one who won't even do interviews? He's like notoriously private?
When speaking of Salinger, the word recluse is much more appropriate than is private. The last interview he granted was in 1980. Getting him to agree to publishing eBooks would be a task akin to the Parting of the Red Sea.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leslie said:
Yes, that's the one. He lives over in Cornish, NH and people see him in town. He likes to buy office supplies, apparently.

He just had his 90th birthday, I think on New Year's Day. There was an article in the New York Times and if I recall correctly, someone posted a link to it here on KBs.

L
Wow I just learned a lot. I used to live in NH as well.
I will respect his privacy, and buy hard copies of all the ones I want to reread.
And I wish him a very happy 90th birthday, nearly the same time I lost my Dad at 92.

Eric

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Jim, I'll see your Bill and raise you a basselope. Oop ack!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Opus isn't dead. He's living in Goodnight Moon. Didn't you know?

Look at this:
http://www.gocomics.com/opus

then go to
humanesociety.org/opus

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't how to break this to you, but Bloom County was real. Goodnight Moon is fictional
Shows what you know. Clearly, you've never been to Goodnight Moon. They have a bed and breakfast there. I stayed on my last vacation. You need to book early. The room with green walls books up fast. And smells vaguely of herring.
;D

And, to try and remain somewhat in topic, I found this for ElDogStar on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/J-D-Salinger-s-Catcher-Rye/dp/B000SMA1GS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1234660025&sr=1-3

I'm not sure what this is, you may want to try a sample of it. YMMV. I make no claims or warranties.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If I had to guess, it's also illegal and likely to get pulled any day now.  Unless Sarah Graham had permission to publish the book, or it's some sort of thesis or essay or discussion or something.  Like I said:  no guarantee is implicit or defined.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Leslie said:

L
I think this is right on the money. I just hope they come around soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts