Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting. So Amazon sees the Kindle as displaying more formats and he sees the Kindle device as a separate business from the e-book store.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Awesome sauce. I like his way of thinking, and agree with him completely. That's the best business decision Amazon can possibly make when it comes to the Kindle and its books.

Now it remains to be seen how long it will take to put his money where his mouth is. Who knows what kind of a timeframe he's talking about.

·
Registered
740 Posts
reemixx said:
Now it remains to be seen how long it will take to put his money where his mouth is. Who knows what kind of a timeframe he's talking about.
Amazon does seem to move pretty fast, I would expect it by the end of the summer (maybe?).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Even if the Kindle displayed more formats, I'm not quite sure what benefits there will be to Amazon book sales.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Forster said:
Even if the Kindle displayed more formats, I'm not quite sure what benefits there will be to Amazon book sales.
That is to help Kindle sales...opening the Kindle books to other readers is what will help the ebook sales!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There would be a benefit in Kindle sales because people would be able to buy books that are available for sale in other formats and display them on the Kindle. It would remove some of the "Do I buy a Sony or a Kindle?" thought process. The more formats the Kindle can display, the more marketable it becomes.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
ProfCrash said:
There would be a benefit in Kindle sales because people would be able to buy books that are available for sale in other formats and display them on the Kindle. It would remove some of the "Do I buy a Sony or a Kindle?" thought process. The more formats the Kindle can display, the more marketable it becomes.
I see DRM as being a problem with that right now, maybe it isn't/won't be but I just can't see Sony and Amazon coming to some kind of an agreement regarding this. I've been wrong before though, lol.

As a consumer I'd like to see it happen though.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the more commonly used DRMs are a problem. Since many readers use e-pub, I don't think it would be hard for Amazon to add e-pub as a format that the Kindle can read. I think it would be harder for Sony to add Amazon's DRM, which is owned by Amazon.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree that ePub would probably be one of the easiest to port over to the Kindle first. Since it does not rely on hardward IDs (just access codes), it would open up Kindle sales to a market that already has ePub files, as well as storefornts that already support ePub format. I also thought I read that libraries are starting to support ebook lending in ePub format, so it would be the logical choice for Kindle to add as well.

It would also be easy for them to port over MobiPocket format, since that is the underlying format for Kindle books. It would just require opening up the Kindle ID for secure Mobi use.

With Kindle books being read on iPhones, it will be nice to see BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices to follow. Both have MobiPocket Readers already. Since Amazon owns MobiPocket, it should be easy to either update the current Reader software to include Kindle formats, or make a new app incorporating code that is already in place (just adding the ability to sync with the Kindle). The iPhone doesn't have a MobiPocket Reader, so starting with a fresh new app made sense there.

There is a lot of opportunity for growing this market. I'm excited to see what will be coming in the future! :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would love to be able to read the books I purchased from ereader.com years ago that I would read on my laptop - I know I would still buy the vast majority of my books from Amazon because of the ease and the fact that their prices are mostly better than elsewhere but it would be great to be able to read all those books too without having my laptop on my lap  ;D

edited to fix fumble fingers..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
reemixx said:
When Bezos said in an interview on Charlie Rose that the Kindle format would be available on additional devices in the future, I remember thinking that this would probably happen by the end of the year. The iPhone App was announced, I believe, within the next week or so. Bezos is a very smart man who seems to always know where he's headed, and makes these sorts of announcements in a premeditated fashion. The fact that he's stated this publicly leads me to believe that we will see this come to fruition soon.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He also announced the subscription program with a reduced priced DX and that has not materialized. I want my cheaper DX damnit.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Me too, I'm nuring the kk along until I hear something  ;D

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ProfCrash said:
He also announced the subscription program with a reduced priced DX and that has not materialized. I want my cheaper DX damnit.
When? Where? I've never heard that from him. In fact in this very article we're discussing he says that he wouldn't be opposed to such a model in the future if people want it, but that he doesn't think it's the way to go. Frankly, I think a stripped down Kindle model without wireless would be better than a subscription model for one big reason. Because I and all the other present owners paid a premium upfront not to have to pay a monthly fee. It's in the contract that they could decide to start charging a fee at any time, and you can bet that if they ever do start charging such a few to lower the cost of Kindles, we're all going to be subject to those fees at some point.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think crash was talking about the NYTimes deal that was "mentioned" at kindle DX launch.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
What I'd like to see is an expansion of the Amazon upgrade program so that when I buy DTBs I get at least rights to the digital copy but can read it on my kindle instead of just their website.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Greg, in the announcement of the K2 and it's aftermath, there was some discussion that, because they were trying to get newspapers on board, there would be a special newspaper subscription deal for out-of-delivery-service-area folks.  The idea was that there would be a discount on the purchase price of the kindle DX if you agree to a certain term subscription of selected newspapers.  It wasn't promised, per se, but it was definitely referred to as though they were in discussion about it, and it was mentioned in some articles immediately after the K2 release announcement.

My concern is (1) I'm already getting a subscription to WaPo, so I wouldn't be a new subscriber. (2) I'm not outside their regular delivery area, but don't want delivery of the paper version.  I want a DX and I'd gladly commit to a longer term subscription*, but am I out of luck?  I think this might be part of what they have to figure outl

*For those who haven't got a subscription, they are currently day to day, first 14 days free, with monthly billing and you can, literally, cancel at any time with no further obligation.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts