Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
There really isn't a 'key to sales' such as buy this or do that or better covers/content/promotion.

His key to sales is that people watch him for a very specific experience. When he delivers, he is rewarded with high views. With those high views, the algorithm continues to push him forward.

When he tries to provide the content that some viewers 'claim' they want, his views go down. He loses subscribers. He asserts that some of that suppressed availability is due to YouTube's pushing negative content forward.

In any event, I believe some of it has to do with the fact that he has, in essence, gone off brand. I am not sure if what has turned out to be his brand is what he wanted as he does discuss some videos he's done that were thoughtful analysis of his subject (video games) which he enjoyed doing but viewers didn't watch even if they said that was what they wanted. So he was rewarded with fewer views.

But he's not wrong in that YouTube does seem to favor content that is negative or contentious in some manner.

The gist of the video is to create what consumers want. When it does well, give them more. When they say they want something different, remember it's just a few people saying that and it's not really what they want. Provide something different at your own peril.

Stay true to your brand. And be aware that YouTube doesn't care about your positivity, Jan.

Registered
nail file said:
There really isn't a 'key to sales' such as buy this or do that or better covers/content/promotion.

His key to sales is that people watch him for a very specific experience. When he delivers, he is rewarded with high views. With those high views, the algorithm continues to push him forward.

When he tries to provide the content that some viewers 'claim' they want, his views go down. He loses subscribers.

He has, in essence, gone off brand. I am not sure if what has turned out to be his brand is what he wanted as he does discuss some videos he's done that were thoughtful analysis of his subject (video games) which he enjoyed doing but viewers didn't watch even if they said that was what they wanted. So he was rewarded with fewer views.

The gist of the video is to create what consumers want. When it does well, give them more. When they say they want something different, remember it's just a few people saying that and it's not really what they want. Provide something different at your own peril.

Stay true to your brand.
I think he's also making the point that once the algorithms have decided what your brand is, this is the only content they'll push.

Registered
Yeah, I can see how being pigeonholed by a the youtube algorithm would be frustrating to people who make videos.聽 I feel like it's kind of a rock and a hard place situation.聽 Like, if you keep making the same thing, views will drop off, and if you do things different, it seems like youtube makes your work less visible, and views will drop off.聽 There's probably a way to do it and keep people watching, but it might also drive you nuts trying, for sure.

One thing that I think about though is how most of my favorite books were written under different circumstances than this kind of, views and clicks, mentality.聽 Frank Herbert didn't write Dune because it's what people wanted.聽 The Lord of the Rings wasn't written because people just wanted more Hobbit content.聽 And, one of my absolute favorite authors, Haruki Murakami, constantly changes subject matters, perspectives, and even styles in books.

I don't know, maybe I just have a nostalgic view of the business.聽 It might never be like that again.聽 But I kind of wish it could be, you know?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts