Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We opened our "Self-Publishing Author Survey 2021-2022" to find answers and offer insights to Indie Authors.

The participants will receive the findings of this research for free. Some of the main findings will be published on our website for the public after the research have been conducted.
Honestly, there isn't too much research on this field, and there is sometimes limited information for authors about self-publishing. I personally think there is a need for researches like this.

If you have 2-3 minutes please consider filling out the survey:

If you have any comments please let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We opened our "Self-Publishing Author Survey 2021-2022" to find answers and offer insights to Indie Authors.

The participants will receive the findings of this research for free. Some of the main findings will be published on our website for the public after the research have been conducted.
Honestly, there isn't too much research on this field, and there is sometimes limited information for authors about self-publishing. I personally think there is a need for researches like this.

If you have 2-3 minutes please consider filling out the survey:

If you have any comments please let me know!
Done!!

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
642 Posts
Since you asked for comments. I offer mine. I hope this is constructive. It's your survey and do what you want, but I couldn't even fill it in accurately (so I didn't hit submit). This is to explain why.

"What is your most popular book?" By what standard? Best reviewed, most page reads, most sales????? There are far too many ways to measure this, and it ignores that book #1 in my series would score as my most popular in several measurements, not because people like it the most, but because it is the book that gets promoted.

Similarly, you ask the best price for a 200 page book. Again, for what? To maximize income, get new readers... and what kind of book? First in series? Standalone? Nonfiction? Fiction? They all have different answers for me. And the strategies change from time to time.

You asked about promos we might have tried... over a lifetime of publishing or for one book? As someone who has traditionally published as well as indie published, I've tried a little of everything. Is it helpful to you that I check them all, even when they were for totally disparate books?

And asking about how many books you sell per month on average??? There are books and books. Someone can write a successful science fiction series that sells tons and also write literary fiction that pleases their soul. Is averaging those together truly useful?

Then this question, where some of your multiple choice answers don't even make sense.

Font Rectangle Number Circle Screenshot

What the heck does "I count with it as extra" mean?
What is "like a hobby" mean? It is or it isn't. And "marginal" income? Do you mean extra cash?
And "Absolutely no, I'm disappointed in self publishing" shows that your survey isn't about publishing so much as aimed at people publishing for the sole reason of making a living with it. Otherwise you would include "Yes, but I'm disappointed in self publishing," and "No, but that's not why I do it." Not to mention, "I'm having too much fun to stop." It isn't even clear what you mean by earning a living. Many successful writers (people who get reviewed in prestigious magazines and win awards) have full time jobs as well.

I've created a lot of surveys in my time and I don't see how these questions and answers will give you any useful information. I can't even tell what you are trying to find out. Is the focus on our pricing and marketing, or satisfaction with income?

Again, I appreciate you putting the effort into this, but I don't think that at this point you've got a viable survey. I'm sure others will disagree. These are my (requested) comments, nothing more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since you asked for comments. I offer mine. I hope this is constructive. It's your survey and do what you want, but I couldn't even fill it in accurately (so I didn't hit submit). This is to explain why.

"What is your most popular book?" By what standard? Best reviewed, most page reads, most sales????? There are far too many ways to measure this, and it ignores that book #1 in my series would score as my most popular in several measurements, not because people like it the most, but because it is the book that gets promoted.

Similarly, you ask the best price for a 200 page book. Again, for what? To maximize income, get new readers... and what kind of book? First in series? Standalone? Nonfiction? Fiction? They all have different answers for me. And the strategies change from time to time.

You asked about promos we might have tried... over a lifetime of publishing or for one book? As someone who has traditionally published as well as indie published, I've tried a little of everything. Is it helpful to you that I check them all, even when they were for totally disparate books?

And asking about how many books you sell per month on average??? There are books and books. Someone can write a successful science fiction series that sells tons and also write literary fiction that pleases their soul. Is averaging those together truly useful?

Then this question, where some of your multiple choice answers don't even make sense.

View attachment 18143
What the heck does "I count with it as extra" mean?
What is "like a hobby" mean? It is or it isn't. And "marginal" income? Do you mean extra cash?
And "Absolutely no, I'm disappointed in self publishing" shows that your survey isn't about publishing so much as aimed at people publishing for the sole reason of making a living with it. Otherwise you would include "Yes, but I'm disappointed in self publishing," and "No, but that's not why I do it." Not to mention, "I'm having too much fun to stop." It isn't even clear what you mean by earning a living. Many successful writers (people who get reviewed in prestigious magazines and win awards) have full time jobs as well.

I've created a lot of surveys in my time and I don't see how these questions and answers will give you any useful information. I can't even tell what you are trying to find out. Is the focus on our pricing and marketing, or satisfaction with income?

Again, I appreciate you putting the effort into this, but I don't think that at this point you've got a viable survey. I'm sure others will disagree. These are my (requested) comments, nothing more.
First of all, I really appreciate your comments!
I will take time to review the connecting questions and modify/comment them to be more transparent.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Haven't seen the survey, but I would recommend asking for specific numbers rather than vague measures like "can make a living."

What I consider a living might be very different than what someone else considers a living. When my husband worked full time, I didn't need to rely on my publishing income. I could make very little and make a living. Right now, with my publishing income the sole income for our household, I consider my minimum income 2-3x what he earned in his day job, because publishing is less stable than the average day job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't seen the survey, but I would recommend asking for specific numbers rather than vague measures like "can make a living."
Thank you for your comment! :)
The basic idea behind this question was whether the author considers him- or herself as a "full-time", "part-time", "hobby" writer or just simply tried it in the past.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
642 Posts
Thank you for your comment! :)
The basic idea behind this question was whether the author considers him- or herself as a "full-time", "part-time", "hobby" writer or just simply tried it in the past.
Some very well known writers (famous) have suggested that they see their writing as a hobby. It's a very vague line between part-time and hobby. And your answers preclude writers who are launching their careers (or hoping to) and are beginning the struggle to reach "full-time" status. And in talking about income, the writer's opinion about it ("disappointed") is irrelevant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some very well known writers (famous) have suggested that they see their writing as a hobby. It's a very vague line between part-time and hobby. And your answers preclude writers who are launching their careers (or hoping to) and are beginning the struggle to reach "full-time" status. And in talking about income, the writer's opinion about it ("disappointed") is irrelevant.
You have very good points in respect of this question! Yes, there could be huge differences between "part-time" authors, and it isn't the same when somebody just started his writing career, or has years of experience but struggles making success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts