Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read his books?  I just downloaded a sample from "The Android's Dream" (it's a long story.  I found a funny quote on goodreads.com. In any case, I've spent a long morning reading really strange reviews and summaries trying to run down which if his books it was in.), but does anyone have any experience with his stuff?  I keep saying I don't like sci-fi, but my bookcase would also reveal me to be a liar.

Anyone?  Anyone?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, they're fantastic.  I *highly* recommend reading his Old Man's War series (starting with Old Man's War).
The Android's Dream is a stand-alone novel.

I would also recommend Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series (starting with Lost Fleet: Dauntless).  Excellent military sci-fi.

·
Registered
62 Posts
robin, I've read almost all of them.  I got "Old Man's War" as a free download and was hooked.  It is the first in a series of 4 (so far) and I read the first 3.  The 4th appears to be a young adult book and the sample that I read did not motivate me.  He is an excellent writer.  like Asimov, Scalzi creates a universe and peoples it with interesting people.  Along this line, you might also enjoy Charles Stross, another excellent science fiction writer. 

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Two Thumbs up!!
Old Man's War was really good!!

Another Good Series I have been reading, that is definitely not as corny as it sounds:

http://www.webscription.net/p-987-the-hemry-ebook-megabundle.aspx

JAG in Space series

"[An] absorbing and credible novel of space navies and justice . . . outstanding suspense, realism, and characterization."
-Booklist on John G. Hemry's "JAG in Space" series.

The Legal Thriller Blasts Off to Space!

Welcome to the U.S. Space Navy, circa 2100 A.D. Do words like duty, principle, and responsibility still mean something? Lieutenant and Judge Advocate Officer Paul Sinclair thinks they do. Sinclair's convinced that if humanity is to survive long-term in space, justice (and an airtight bulkhead) is all that stands between humanity and rapid extinction.

Here is the entire Sinclair saga-courtroom drama, grand adventure, spaceship battles. They're all here. But most of all this is the epic tale of a good man surrounded by very fallible, very human characters-all jammed together in a tin can in space and sent on the adventure of a lifetime. Four entries in the intrepid and compelling "JAG in Space" chronicles, together for the first time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic!  Thanks for the advice.  I believe I will go for it.  Frankly, blue sheep got my attention.  Also, I like Douglas Adams.  Helpful?  Not helpful?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.