Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is right forum for this question but was wondering if anyone here is familiar with journalstone. they had inquired about one of my wip. thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, the good news is, they weren't listed on Writer Beware or P&E.

But...they are a small press, and spell out clearly in their About Us page, that it is YOUR responsibility to market your own novel.

They're a small press, so I'm not sure how wide their reach is, but they only publish to the same exactly places digitally that you're using now:  Amazon, BN.

They do assign ISBN numbers, but state nothing about distribution to brick & mortar bookstores.

Questions you should ask of them:

What is their eBook royalty, and when do the rights revert back to you, if ever?
What is their royalty on print editions?
Do they offer an advance (reputable publishers do)?
While they state they will invest in you, do they have hidden type that expresses you must also invest (thus turning them into a Subsidy press)?

It looks like they DO offer copies of printed books for giveaways on Goodreads and Librarything.com, but right now, that's something Goodreads allows anyone with a POD book.

I dunno.  Find out how far their reach is, because so far, this is stuff you can do for yourself.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
opus, thanks for your comments. i always tend to jump in too fast but i will be sure to broach the topics you mentioned. of course i'll look at any contract closely, but between you, me and the boards, i'm probably going to pass at this time. i have kindle editions of GARGOYLES and THE UNNATURAL coming out in the next couple of months and am concentrating on that. thanks again. btw, your comments always seem to be given with a lot of thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts