Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I pre-ordered yesterday, and am quite excited.  Mind my asking a couple quick questions:

1.  Will it be easy to move .txt,.html, .pdf, or .doc files from my desktop to my Kindle 2 via USB?  I assume I have to run a conversion program of some sort to format the files in some kind of Amazon proprietary format?  I don't like the idea of having to email the files to Amazon and pay $.10/bk, on principle.

2.  Has it been confirmed that there's still a web browser on the K2 so we can check our gmail using Whispernet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are programs to convert, not sure what they are though.

Theres still a browser unless the trial ones they gave to select people before the release arent the same as the ones we will get.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
No one has ever been charged the ten cent fee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Benjamin said:
There are programs to convert, not sure what they are though.

Theres still a browser unless the trial ones they gave to select people before the release arent the same as the ones we will get.
Thanks. Perhaps, though, someone can tell me how the USB process works? Do you just plug in the Kindle, and drag books onto it like it's a drive? If so, what format do the books have to be in?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Oyjord said:
Thanks. Perhaps, though, someone can tell me how the USB process works? Do you just plug in the Kindle, and drag books onto it like it's a drive? If so, what format do the books have to be in?
Yep, it just shows up like any storage device. You do have to put books in the "documents" folder, though, not at the top level.

·
Registered
615 Posts
intinst said:
No one has ever been charged the ten cent fee.
They leave room to grow that idea though. The language used to be that it was 10 cents.

The k2 guide says "a small fee" ...

However, with pdfs they will be competing with many units that read PDFs normally, so it probably will be more desirable for the business to not charge that particular conversion, even later.

Right now, it's a wonderful feature, that auto-conversion sent to our units.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Oyjord said:
Hi all,

I pre-ordered yesterday, and am quite excited. Mind my asking a couple quick questions:

1. Will it be easy to move .txt,.html, .pdf, or .doc files from my desktop to my Kindle 2 via USB? I assume I have to run a conversion program of some sort to format the files in some kind of Amazon proprietary format? I don't like the idea of having to email the files to Amazon and pay $.10/bk, on principle.

2. Has it been confirmed that there's still a web browser on the K2 so we can check our gmail using Whispernet?

Thanks!
Welcome to KB oyjord! If you haven't already done so please ego to the Intro/Welcome Board and tell us more about yourself. Congrats on your Kindle, you are gonna love it!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Also, instead of e-mailing directly to your Kindle, you can always have the conversion done through your [email protected] address. They'll arrive at your regular e-mail address, and you can put them on your kindle with the USB cable.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You do eventually get charged the $0.10. They either add it to other book orders or they hold all the $0.10 until it reaches a certain amount. They don't charge you a single $0.10 at a time. To only charge you $0.10 would cost them more than the $0.10.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I've never been charged the 10 cents and I've sent lots of things to my kindle.  It's never been added to the price of another book. . .I watch that carefully, too, to be sure I get charged what the book was listed at.  There was some opining that perhaps when you got, say 30 books, there'd be a charge for $3.  But I know I've sent more than that and haven't seen that charge either.

Ann

·
Registered
182 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
Right now, it's a wonderful feature, that auto-conversion sent to our units.
How does the auto-conversion compare to Mobipocket Creator? Which is more accurate, or to put another way, which renders more like the original PDF?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't know about the original PDF conversion, but I would like to put in yet another plug for Calibre, which will convert several formats to be read on the Kindle, as well as can be a platform for items which you transfer from your computer to your Kindle (or, for K1, to the SD care). Not affiliated in any way, I was informed of this program recently by one of our members; it is open source and cross platform, and well worth a look. It is also free.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts