Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just thinking (and maybe this is out there somewhere) can you have 1 Kindle registered on 2 different accounts? It would be nice if you didn't want to share some books with someone else on your account- say a minor child. What do you think?

Lynn L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
^^ What V_A said... A kindle can only be registered on one account at a time. There are some here who switch between their account and a spouse's account. It is my understanding that books picked up on one account will stay on the Kindle after switching, but will "disappear" the next time you connect to Whispernet. I personally haven't tried it, but my DD wants to give it a try when she gets her K2.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My understanding, from what Luvmy4Brats has said, is that the books don't disappear. They stay on the Kindle. However, if you remove a book, you can only get it back by registering it to the account where the book was originally purchased.

That's why lots of folks are selling used Kindles with books on them. The books will stay in place -- allegedly -- unless the new owner removes them. Once they are removed, they are gone for good (because the books are on the original owner's Amazon account).

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Leslie said:
My understanding, from what Luvmy4Brats has said, is that the books don't disappear. They stay on the Kindle. However, if you remove a book, you can only get it back by registering it to the account where the book was originally purchased.

That's why lots of folks are selling used Kindles with books on them. The books will stay in place -- allegedly -- unless the new owner removes them. Once they are removed, they are gone for good (because the books are on the original owner's Amazon account).

L
That is what I thought Luv had said, but I have also seen several posts somewhere on KB that say they disappear when you turn on the Whispernet. That is why DD & I want to test it out for ourselves. I am so ready for her to get her Kindle!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Angela said:
That is what I thought Luv had said, but I have also seen several posts somewhere on KB that say they disappear when you turn on the Whispernet. That is why DD & I want to test it out for ourselves. I am so ready for her to get her Kindle!
I bought my son a used Kindle last spring. It came with a bunch of free books on it, most of which I deleted (although I did leave War & Peace, sort of as a joke).

Then, while he was in Jamaica, he was reading up a storm. He said the first book he read was Demon in the Freezer, which I had never bought and which isn't a free book. I couldn't figure out where it came from and I finally decided that it was a purchased book from the previous owner and was on his Kindle. I must have left it there, thinking it sounded interesting, and totally forgot about it until he mentioned it (7 months later). Obviously, the Whispernet has been on and off many times since then, which makes me think that the books will stay and not disappear automatically when Whispernet comes on.

L

B

·
0 Posts
The books I got on my new used kindle didn't vanish after I registered it and turned on the Whispernet.  I had to manually delete them.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
The books I got on my new used kindle didn't vanish after I registered it and turned on the Whispernet. I had to manually delete them.
Thanks for the confirmation, BJ... So I am assuming that they weren't books you were interested in??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts