Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just made my first Amazon sale for my very first childrens story and of course i am made up. is it just me that gets this giddy with their first sale? so my question is this, How do I promote my book?
It is a childrens story aimed at the under 10 year olds, it is hopefully going to be the first of a series if i cant get my thoughts and ideas to make sense on paper.
I have posted links to both my Smashwords ( http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/60515 )and my Amazon page ( http://www.amazon.com/Max-Izzy-Wheres-Iggy-ebook/dp/B0051UC75A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306153589&sr=8-1) on Facebook and Twitter and am hopefully going to get a blog up and running in the very near future. I am happy to promote other authors in my blog, but will this be reciprocated? is this something that happens as a matter of course or do I post a thread requesting promotions?

head swimming with questions.. i look forward to hearing from you

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Betsy.
as you can see i have no clue what I am doing.  ;D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi Catherine,

I've written a blog about publishing as an independent author. In it are a couple of links to books I highly recommend you read. They aren't mine... they're just a couple I read that I thought were "must reads" for any newly starting author (like me). Just scroll down to the middle of the page and you'll find them.

The books are: "How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks"  by Jason Matthews and  "We Are Not Alone: The Writer’s Guide to Social Media" by Kristen Lamb.

I hope this helps... and congrats on your new book. I wish you well for the future  :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice Christopher, I will check them out first chance I get.
any advice is helpful especially from those who have tried something and found it useful.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congratulations on the first sale! It is a bit of a pickle with kids books. I have written one children's book, but have not put it out just yet. A friend of mine has just written her first childrens book and it is doing very well. She join forums and book groups (like goodreads) and I think it is more targetting the parents and then allowing word of mouth to spread.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alex
I have never heard of Goodreads so will toddle off and do a little google search. thank you for the help.
I cant believe how friendly everyone is on these boards, its lovely.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congrats! I write young adult. Blogging, getting book bloggers to review your book, Goodreads. Not sure how good Shelfari or Library Thing works, but I belong to both. Get on Apple, a lot of kids have iTouches. I have 5 kids. The older 4 have their own iTouch (their ages are 13, 10, 7, and 4). My 13 and 10 year olds are constantly telling me how all their friends have iPads. And my 1 year old plays with my iPhone. So, many parents could download books on their iPhones or iPads to read to their kids at doctor's offices or for them to look at while shopping.

I would reciprocate if you're interested.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, you have all been very kind.
Talia, once my blog is up and running (another couple of days hopefully) I will contact you, is that ok?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congrats! And may you sell many more.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just made my very first sale on UK Amazon Kindle store. Yippee!
Catherine, I think it may have resulted from me spending time on the forums there, not promoting my stuff, just joining in discussions. Visibility is the vital thing. You have to get readers to be aware that you and your book actually exist. People read what you write, get some sense of you, and sometimes go take a look at your stuff.
Whether this is by a forum like this, a facebook page, twitter chats, author interviews and reviews, they all contribute to raising your visibility.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congrats on your first sale! I imagine that I will be insufferable when I get my book up to sale. Lol. It is a major milestone and you should be excited!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts