Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean the well-heeled among us of course as I'm sure it could be expensive.  But I've not heard this method of promotion mentioned and I wondered about it.  Thanks for weighing in as I'm really interested to know what you think or what your experience has been with this.  :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I went to a talk given by a publicist.  I can link to it.  My basic take-away was that unless a publicists has some GREAT contacts, there is NOTHING you can't do yourself for a WHOLE LOT LESS.  The particular publicist who gave the talk was very into print mediums--newspapers and reviews.  Trouble is, you can submit to those things yourself.  I didn't see the point really. 

Let me go find the blog I did.  I tried to be fair about presenting the info, but I just didn't see what I would get for 500 dollars that would make it worth it.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great article Maria!  I posted a comment but I got a notice that it got caught by a spam catcher.

I swear, I have the toughest time leaving comments on people's blogs.  LOL

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
JeanneM said:
Great article Maria! I posted a comment but I got a notice that it got caught by a spam catcher.

I swear, I have the toughest time leaving comments on people's blogs. LOL
Thanks for the comment. I let you through juuuuust this one time. ;D It might be because you started the comment "interesting article" -- believe it or not, that is a very common phrase for spammers (and sometimes the only phrase right before very helpful links to financing, body enhancement parts...)

I thought the talk she gave was very interesting, but I admit to being disappointed that her focus was so much on old-school types of publicity. Of course, that is an area where I have no contacts, so perhaps it is useful for people. She was considered relatively cheap with her pricing as well. Apparently a lot of publicists charge in the 3 to 5k range. They supposedly can get you more bookstore signings, but a signing doesn't mean sales...but as an indie, it can be harder to get a bookstore signing.

I guess it all depends on what you are after. Definitely get referrals before using a publicist though. I think the quality and attention varies GREATLY in the business.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I have considered hiring a publicist, actually talked to one on the phone. The guy was recommended to me by someone with media connections and supposedly he had tons of media connections himself. I explained what I wrote, how I published, etc. and what I wanted. He sounded like he was up for the job - promised to get back to me within a week with a proposed package of services and a price tag. Never did. Not even after a couple of reminders.

While this certainly doesn't mean all publicists are similarly unprofessional, the experience has left me rather reluctant to go in this direction ever again. Besides, as others have mentioned in this thread, there is little a publicist can do that I can't.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much everyone for weighing in on this.  I was just curious as there are certain authors...like James Patterson as an example...that you see everywhere. I assumed they probably have press agents and wondered what everyone thought of that.

I don't know anything about them or what they do and I wondered if they were able to open certain doors that authors couldn't open themselves.

Thanks again so much.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
JeanneM said:
Thanks so much everyone for weighing in on this. I was just curious as there are certain authors...like James Patterson as an example...that you see everywhere. I assumed they probably have press agents and wondered what everyone thought of that.

I don't know anything about them or what they do and I wondered if they were able to open certain doors that authors couldn't open themselves.

Thanks again so much.
You can't compare what JP does to many authors at all. The guy is a media machine (20 years NY Ad Ex) all by himself and he comes up with just what his brand is and just how it will be presented and marketed. He taught his publisher (Little, Brown, Hatchette) a few things about marketing, brand and advertising. He only uses press agents to run his errands, plus he has 4 Little Brown people assigned to only him. He is a DIY kinda guy.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's really interesting. Thank you.  I did wonder why I seem to see him everywhere.  He certainly has done a good job for a DIYer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts