Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran over to Saladworks to pick up lunch. While waiting in line I looked over and saw some guy reading A Game of Blood. I've seen people reading my stuff before, but it was always in "controlled environments" like book fairs or conventions. Places I would expect to see it. But this was "in the wild" and right around the corner from where I work! Best part is, apparently one of his friends came in and sat down at his table. He finished reading the page he was on before looking up and talking to him.

So I text Mike and say OMG I saw someone reading my book at Saladworks! and he texts me back asking if I gave away an autograph. I texted back that I didn't want to bother the guy.

Mike's response: O good u probly shouldnt talk to strange guys anyway what did he look like?

Apparently when Mike found out the reader was male he didn't want me approaching him. :eek: ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Haha... that is SO cool to hear.  Congrats.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Whoa! :eek:  That's awesome.  I imagine that is a weird feeling.  I would probably sit there for a minute, silently freaking out, halfway tempted to say "that's my book!" and quelling the urge.  

I would probably be doubly shocked, since as a (future) indie published writer, I would expect that far more of my books sold will be ebooks, so seeing a print book "in the wild" would be quite a surprise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Emeline Danvers said:
Whoa! :eek: That's awesome. I imagine that is a weird feeling. I would probably sit there for a minute, silently freaking out, halfway tempted to say "that's my book!" and quelling the urge.
Yeah, I think I almost gave myself whiplash because I caught it out of the corner of my eye and then had to snap back and make sure that I was seeing what I thought I saw. I almost did go over and say hello, because a lot of subscribers to my newsletter are here in NJ and he probably found the book that way. But then I got to thinking I probably didn't want to get into a scene particularly on my lunch break when I had to get back to the office.

Though if I was 15 years younger and single, I might have went over anyway. He was a little cutie. ;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Ran over to Saladworks to pick up lunch. While waiting in line I looked over and saw some guy reading A Game of Blood. I've seen people reading my stuff before, but it was always in "controlled environments" like book fairs or conventions. Places I would expect to see it. But this was "in the wild" and right around the corner from where I work! Best part is, apparently one of his friends came in and sat down at his table. He finished reading the page he was on before looking up and talking to him.

So I text Mike and say OMG I saw someone reading my book at Saladworks! and he texts me back asking if I gave away an autograph. I texted back that I didn't want to bother the guy.

Mike's response: O good u probly shouldnt talk to strange guys anyway what did he look like?

Apparently when Mike found out the reader was male he didn't want me approaching him. :eek: ;D ;D
That is so awesome. I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from rushing over haha ;D First time I was in a club that played one of my songs, I was running over the DJ box and random clubbers, screaming, "This is my song!" and they were all nodding, going, "I know, mine, too. Good, innit?" And I was like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you don't understand, it's MINE!"

LOL

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
>>>>Best part is, apparently one of his friends came in and sat down at his table.  He finished reading the page he was on before looking up and talking to him. <<<<<

Win!
And having a cutie read your book in a public place: win/win!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That is completely and utterly awesome, and every writer's secret dream.  But being epubbed only, I'm going have to spy over shoulders at kindle and nook screens to see if anyone's reading mine.  Congrats!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lisa Scott said:
That is completely and utterly awesome, and every writer's secret dream. But being epubbed only, I'm going have to spy over shoulders at kindle and nook screens to see if anyone's reading mine. Congrats!
But see, you can be slick about that. You can be all "Hey, is that one of those Kindle things?" and just pretend you are looking at the gadget.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Congratulations!  That is pretty cool.  I got a high off of being told that two people were seen reading one of my print books on a Metra train here in Chicago...and they were unrelated to one another. I still have yet to witness someone reading one of my books in person.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
LOL! I wouldn't have been able to resist the urge. I would've gone over there and asked him, "Do you want me to sign that for you?"

The likely response would be, "I don't want you scribbling in my book, loser! Get outta here!"

hehehe Congrats!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
That is amazing!  How cool!  I have never seen someone reading one of my books, but if I did, I would totally go right up to them and get in their face.  They'd probably be scared of me. ;D

·
Registered
977 Posts
That is too cool! I would have probably been a reverse stalker and taken a picture on the sly ;D! Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of fans!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts