Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my new term for authors who both publish traditionally and indie. Anyway, she's one of my fave writers, and her genres are chick lit, romantic suspense and contemporary romance. A couple of years ago she started a series that got nuked by the publisher after the second book. Well, I just saw this on her site:

Q: How many books are in your "voodoo" series and will there be more?

Stephanie: Sigh…okay, here's yet more proof that things in the book business don't always make sense: The first book in the voodoo series is In Deep Voodoo. In the back of that book, the sequel was advertised as Voodoo or Die. BUT my publishing house decided AFTER book 2 had been advertised to change the title to Finding Your Mojo. (I know, I know--my original title was better and sort of went along with the whole "voodoo" theme I was going for.) Which resulted, as one might guess, in much confusion among readers looking for book 2. Then after book 2 didn't sell as well as my publisher had hoped (surprise, surprise), plans for books 3 and 4 were put on hold, leaving readers hanging, I'm sorry to say.

(With some of the poor decisions made in this business, it's as if publishers don't WANT to sell books.)

The GOOD news is I recently got the rights back to both books and will be re-releasing them as eBooks. And since I now have control of the series, I will be self-publishing the next two books in the series, Voodoo You Love? and Voodoo Diaries sometime in 2012. Please keep checking www.stephaniebond.com for updates on release dates, or be sure to sign up on the Join email page to receive notices when I have news.
There are a bunch of other authors I'd love to see do similar (Kathleen Nance, hello? Ann Lawrence - Virtual series, same)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hybrid.  I like this.  Makes me feel  like a Prius.  ;D

And I expect you will see a lot of it.  Just about everybody I know has either a series that tanked or an idea that wouldn't fly with the editors.  The amount of stuff that gets shot down at the proposal stage is mind boggling.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Stephanie makes a great point: Publishers don't know what the heck they're doing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Love the term "hybrid." I think it's so wonderful that writers are getting their rights back and e-publishing their backlists. It's great for the writers and for readers. It's one of the coolest trends in e-publishing right now. Such exciting times!

·
Registered
613 Posts
One of my favorites authors is going "not quite hybrid" : Lois McMaster Bujold (Rather renown in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy crowd) is going indie for some Published books.
While it seems she sold the US rights to various publishers, she self-publishes versions at Amazon.co.uk. Seems like a smart move...
I hope it'll work out well for her, but fear she may be disappointing results, as the UK market feels lesser than the US one, and some of her work is also available "worldwide" for free.
On the Other Hand, if it works out, perhaps she will self-publish other works ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like the term hybrid. It makes me feel like a hipster author. ;)

I'm doing the same thing with my Succubus Diaries. When I was writing book 3, we had really strong sales for book 1 and 2, so I was advised to leave room for sequels. Then when book 3 came out, my returns hit, Borders crashed, Wal-Mart skipped me, and so my publisher opted not to buy more in the series.

I'm self-publishing the last book as soon as I have time in my schedule. I like that I can still finish the story for readers, who don't care if Wal-Mart bought copies of book 3 or not. :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
we're all going to be these weird mutations soon. I've considered myself indie for so long I have forgotten I have an ebook out from Kensington (and a handful they are sitting on for some stupid, stupid reason that hurts us both). What's really bizarre is I have not only zero incentive to promote that book (indeed, I forgot all about it until  couple of days ago), it actually is against my best interests to promote it. It's overpriced anyway so it doesn't sell and I will never make another dime from it, but I also want to one day receive or buy my rights back so I need to keep its value low. So I guess we're both just pretending it doesn't exist.

Yes, we've reached the era when the corporate publishers are competition for our own books. Good thing they aren't very competitive.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL @ Bob.  Guess I owe you usage fees.  Further proof that original ideas have all been done before ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts