Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
chocochibi said:
This is awesome! I just bought myself a $5 Kindle gift card to see how it worked, and it's just for Kindle books (no subscription purchases, which makes sense). I'm assuming it'll take the remaining balance out of your account's credit card if you go over on a purchase, but it's nice to know that we can buy/receive gift cards that are specifically for Kindle books and not just Amazon purchases.

G

·
The one I looked at had "Kindle" on it.  I got one for $50.00.  Once you buy one they send a code and a URL to redeem it.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
stevene9 said:
I have never used a gift card so I am a little confused. I went to that URL and I see an Amazon gift card, but nothing about a Kindle gift card. What am I missing?

Steve
Did the same thing, then took a second look. The Amazon card that comes up with the URL says kindle on it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What's the difference between a regular gift card and a Kindle gift card.  Does it matter to have a card specifically for Kindle purchases?

Sharyn

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Vampyre said:
The one I looked at had "Kindle" on it. I got one for $50.00. Once you buy one they send a code and a URL to redeem it.
They have a choice of a number of designs for the cards, including one that says Kindle. But I don't see anything that says that it can be used only for Kindle purchases.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but why would someone want to buy a giftcard for themselves.

Unless it helps you budget you Amazon purchases?  Is that the only reason?

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's precisely why I'm getting one. I'll use it instead of my credit card and hopefully will keep me from going overboard on book buying.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
kim said:
This is probably a stupid question, but why would someone want to buy a giftcard for themselves.

Unless it helps you budget you Amazon purchases? Is that the only reason?
My reason was because of the books that cost 1.39, .80, 2.99, etc. Easier to have those deductions from a gift card than several of those on a credit card.
debbie

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
stevene9 said:
They have a choice of a number of designs for the cards, including one that says Kindle. But I don't see anything that says that it can be used only for Kindle purchases.
I'm with you. There are a number of different designs including holidays. I think this is used like any other Amazon Gift Card. It's for any Amazon purchases. Maybe I'll wait until I make a non-kindle purchase. I'll get the card and see if that purchase is deducted from it.

kim said:

Unless it helps you budget you Amazon purchases? Is that the only reason?
That's why I use the GC, too. Only it doesn't work if you make other purchases and forget to change the method of payment. Then you run out of GC money pretty fast.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw that too, but from I was able to make out is that you can't pay for subscriptions with it, BUT any other purchases will be charged against it, just as a normal gift card. What they say is VERY misleading, IMHO. My guess is that NO gift card can be used for blogs and periodicals. Anyway, I suggest care if you buy more than Kindle books from Amazon on a regular basis.

"Browse for your favorite Kindle books. When you find what you want, click the "Buy" button, and your credit will automatically be applied to your purchase.

Once you've entered the claim code, we'll keep the balance in your account for use on future purchases, so you don't need to enter the claim code again when you place your next order, even for non-Kindle items. Please be aware that gift cards can only be used for Kindle book purchases, not blogs and periodicals."

G

·
This GC didn't work the way my first one did.  The first time I got an Amazon GC and they just sent me a code number.  I just cut and pasted it in place and BAM $50,00 credit.

This time for the Kindle GC they sent me a pdf file to print out the card and it was upside down.  I didn't see a number anywhere.  Then I noticed in the URL, the last part said code=xxxxx.  I cut and pasted that and it worked!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I think I'll stick with the Coinstar e-certs.  It prints out the gift code on a slip and then I come home and enter it.  I just have to make sure that non-kindle purchases go to my Amazon Visa.  That way I can still earn points. 

·
Registered
361 Posts
Gertiekindle,
I see the Amazon Visa every time I buy something, and always wondered if it was worth it. What are the perks? Do you use it only on amazon to keep track of your kindle purchases? (hope that isn't too personal)
Thanks,
Kristie

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kjn33 said:
Gertiekindle,
I see the Amazon Visa every time I buy something, and always wondered if it was worth it. What are the perks? Do you use it only on amazon to keep track of your kindle purchases? (hope that isn't too personal)
Thanks,
Kristie
I'm not Gertie, but I have an Amazon visa and use it for everything (and pay the bill in full every month). You get points for the money you spend. I think it is 3 points for every dollar at Amazon and 1 point for every dollar everywhere else. When you get 2500 points they sent you a $25 gift certificate. They also have specials...right now it you put a recurring bill on your card (like your cable bill) you'll get 10 points for every dollar.

Since I use the card for everything, the points add up fast and the GCs appear in the mail like clockwork.

I haven't paid "real" money for a Kindle book in months.

L

·
Registered
52 Posts
Leslie said:
I'm not Gertie, but I have an Amazon visa and use it for everything (and pay the bill in full every month). You get points for the money you spend. I think it is 3 points for every dollar at Amazon and 1 point for every dollar everywhere else. When you get 2500 points they sent you a $25 gift certificate. They also have specials...right now it you put a recurring bill on your card (like your cable bill) you'll get 10 points for every dollar.

Since I use the card for everything, the points add up fast and the GCs appear in the mail like clockwork.

L
I started doing the same thing a few months ago and I love it. Had tried before but couldn't be disciplined with my spending and got into some trouble. Since then, have "grown up" a bit and now it is working great. I too have gotten a rewards certificate every month- am considering using the next one for an MEdge cover. It is so easy to use my credit card everywhere (a bit weird at first) but then I don't have to keep track of debit purchases and worry about not having enough cash until pay day, etc. etc. Then when it is time to pay the bill, the cash is waiting in my checkbook. Got quite a chuckle recently when I paid a speeding ticket online and earned points too....showed them!

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
Trekker said:
How is it easier?
Speaking for myself only: I reconcile every CC statement I get. It's kind of a pain when there are a lot of transactions and a whole bunch of them are for 3.99 or 5.99 or 4.72 or .80 or .99 or .01. I just did this exercise this weekend; I'd purchased more kindle stuff than usual and it was tedius. I'm definitely going to purchase a GC so I won't have that to go through. With a GC, all I have to do is keep track that the appropriate amounts are correctly debited as it's used so I know how much is left.

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Leslie said:

Leslie I received my first Amazon Visa statement yesterday. I have almost 2000 points, my questions is do you have to send something in to get your $25 dollar GC or do they automatically send it? One more, you get a $30 credit when you apply and receive your Visa, is this applied to your balance or do you get a GC?

Thanks!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts