Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be receiving a Kindle 2, they can not ship me a Kindle 1, I asked!
Batteries can not be replaced, memory can not be added to, the size is 1/2 inch taller than K1, at 8" high, 5.3 " wide and much thinner.
The Kindle 2 can read a book out loud to you....
And thats about all I asked, having never even seen a Kindle myself.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I am staying optimistic, but my K1 just went up in value :eek:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally, I want a Kindle 1!

This is such a let down, the only reasonably priced cover, is an ugly black for $30.00.
From there the covers are $99.00 and up --->>>>#@%^[email protected]
And there not pretty at all, I am so sad to see the beautiful covers I bought , GONE!
And the beautiful skins, GONE!

·
Registered
55 Posts
MineKinder said:
Totally, I want a Kindle 1!
There will be plenty of K1 for sale, including mine. I've had mine for about 6 months. I can check if your interested because it would affect warranty, but I'll sell mine for $299 with the 4 GB SD card and include overnight shipping. Paypal accepted.

I still have the original box it came in as well.

Anyone interested, send me a PM.

-Brian

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm unclear what type of cover we'd actually need.  For protection only....or to hold it in properly?  Any ideas? 

Are any of you getting the extended warranty? 

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'll be selling mine too, but not until I receive my K2. I think anyone who wants a K1 will be able to find one.

There will be plenty of covers from various manufacturers at all price points very soon, I'm sure. Skins too.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am so keeping my K1. Love the Original Kindle. There are some cool features on the K2 but nothing that makes me want one.

I am telling my family and friends that I can order them a K2 and get them to the head of the line for it but I need to know by midnight tonight.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There should be plenty of kindle 1's for sale if thats what you want because you bought accessories. Mine will be for sale as soon as I get the new one. But I have to ask-- why are people buying accessories when you haven't received the device? You might not like the kindle at all and then you wasted a bunch of money or something is wrong with the accessories and you would have no clue and wouldn't be able to return it by the time you got the kindle!

As far as ugly black- well I think its nice. It leather thats pebbled with suede interior and they have a Sony-like locking mechanism which I know from my experience with my Sony is very nice. I likes the look of this much better than the other cases they have on order for now. Plus black matches any possible skin that will come available.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Oberon will have new Kindle covers out soon enough. Those will look great although I am sure that they are plenty pissed with Amazon right now. (Grins)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lisanr said:
There should be plenty of kindle 1's for sale if thats what you want because you bought accessories. Mine will be for sale as soon as I get the new one. But I have to ask-- why are people buying accessories when you haven't received the device? You might not like the kindle at all and then you wasted a bunch of money or something is wrong with the accessories and you would have no clue and wouldn't be able to return it by the time you got the kindle!

As far as ugly black- well I think its nice. It leather thats pebbled with suede interior and they have a Sony-like locking mechanism which I know from my experience with my Sony is very nice. I likes the look of this much better than the other cases they have on order for now. Plus black matches any possible skin that will come available.
I prefer more feminine covers and skins. I pre-bought because I got caught up in the accessory frenzy! There were so many beautiful choices, Strangedog, Oberon.
In feminine colors...
I will be going with the version, K2 though....
My Husband said all along, wait for the K2, now he can tell me "I told you so" lol!

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Lisanr said:
... But I have to ask-- why are people buying accessories when you haven't received the device? You might not like the kindle at all and then you wasted a bunch of money or something is wrong with the accessories and you would have no clue and wouldn't be able to return it by the time you got the kindle! ...
I ordered two Kindle specific accessories in advance of receiving my Kindle-to-be. I was certain I would like the kindle. I ordered the DecalGirl skin to protect it against scratches and to change white to dark burlwood. I ordered the Serious Color StrangeDog cover because I prefer the feel of cloth over smooth leather. I knew that reselling the StrangeDog cover would be no problem due to the rapid turnover in styles and limited availability. I was not worried about the cost of a single DecalGirl skin. The only other three accessories I purchased in advance are not Kindle specific; a 8GB SD card, a new booklight that I have used since early December, and a new purse from Target that is still waiting for my Kindle-to-be arrive. It was not certain whether the specific SD card I purchased would work in the original Kindle. However I am certain it will work in my camera and my Zen (digital media player). I do not regret any of my early accessory purchases but then I did not go overboard and spend a lot of money.
Anna
EDIT: I checked the SD card and it is only 8 GB instead of 16 GB. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Apparently we will be able to whispersync on the K1 since we got the firmware upgrade.  There is nothing else about the K2 that tempts me. 

My only concern is that since they have apparently stopped manufacturing the K1, will they also stop manufacturing the batteries? 

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Apparently we will be able to whispersync on the K1 since we got the firmware upgrade. There is nothing else about the K2 that tempts me.

My only concern is that since they have apparently stopped manufacturing the K1, will they also stop manufacturing the batteries?
Eventually, I'm sure they will. I would think that they will have to have some on hand for present Kindle owners until all of the warranties expire (which will happen early in 2010, I imagine, since no one has been receiving any other than refurbished ones).

·
Registered
54 Posts
It sounds like a nice upgrade.  If I hadn't just received my Kindle 1, I'd order one but I'm still learning the Kindle 1 and loving it.

Congratulations to those that upgraded though.  I look forward to hearing your reviews.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Oberon has already said they are going to make Kindle 2 covers. M-Edge will make K2 covers. No worries folks. Just give them time. K2 won't be shipping until Feb 24 so there is plenty of time for the cover manufactuerers to get spun up.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Dallas said:
It sounds like a nice upgrade. If I hadn't just received my Kindle 1, I'd order one but I'm still learning the Kindle 1 and loving it.

Congratulations to those that upgraded though. I look forward to hearing your reviews.
I sent an e-mail to Customer Service requesting an option to "trade-up" for a smaller fee. I doubt that they will do that, but maybe if enough of us ask...

I realize they are allowing us to get in line first for the K2, but I cannot pay another $359!

·
Registered
182 Posts
We can contact the original vendors for those of us that order our accessories from Amazon (in my case M-Edge and DecalGirl) about returning items.  So, I'll be calling M-Edge up to see about swapping my case for a K2 case (and hopefully still use the Lite).  Ditto with DecalGirl or I just eat that one.

So... I'm going to suck it up and enjoy my K2!  ;D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts