Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my novel has a character who is 15 years old at the start, and 16 by the end. It includes coming of age themes and a writing style suitable for YA. It also has brief scenes of rape and attempted rape, a fair amount of graphic violence, and TONS AND TONS OF KILLING (said teenage MC kills literally hundreds of men over the course of the story with her giant sword, and her shield, and her (not so) puny girl hands...). Now, I wouldn't think this a huge problem if the book were to be listed as YA, which it currently is in Smashwords (its short description starts with 'In a brutal world' so fair warning...). However... if I set in the 'Juvenile' category on Amazon, it risks being listed as a CHILDREN'S book.

Should I dare risk setting it in the Juvenile category with a warning about 'adult themes' and hope Amazon properly classifies it as YA, or stick with Fantasy>General and Action-Adventure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I've come to realize, people don't actually read the descriptions of books and just write reviews with poor star ratings about things I made perfectly clear in the description. 

I wouldn't do it if I were you, you're asking for 1 star ratings from angry parents.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KM Logan said:
I've come to realize, people don't actually read the descriptions of books and just write reviews with poor star ratings about things I made perfectly clear in the description.

I wouldn't do it if I were you, you're asking for 1 star ratings from angry parents.
You're probably right... if only Amazon would finally add a YA category in KDP. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Send them an email. They may put it in there for you if you ask. They've added categories for me in the past. Make the title 'uncatagorized' first.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dee Ernst said:
Make the title 'uncatagorized' first.
Do you have to get rid of both categories or could you just leave one blank for them to fill in?
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the book an actual YA title or not? The age of the protagonist is not relevant. The theme of the book is. Generally, a Young Adult book specifically addresses coming of age issues, told in such a way as to be accessible to readers younger than the protagonists. This differs from the traditional coming of age tale, which is normally told from a nostalgic standpoint and is written with the sensibilities of older readers in mind. Does the book actually address issues accessible to young readers, or is it a hack-n-slash slaughterfest that just happens to have a teen girl in it?

Is this the same book with Rose in it who gets married and then has to fight to save her love's homeland? It seems to me that her age is arbitrary and in her world she is an adult. This protagonist, at least from how I understand it, is NOT a "teenager" in the way we would normally think about teenagers. Is the protagonist considered a "teen" in her world, or would she be considered an adult? Are you approaching this book from the mind of a MINOR struggling with adult situations, or from an adult struggling with these situations? Forget her age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
ElisaBlaisdell said:
So, the Teens->Science Fiction and Fantasy category isn't accessible to authors?
The Teens categories aren't accessible through KDP. I'm not quite sure how they show up...by magic apparently. I had to put my books into Juvenile Mystery and poof! It says Teen Mysteries and Thrillers on the product page. I'm not complaining -- I just wish we could put it that way ourselves.

(The Teens category only appeared for the first time in December.)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Is the book an actual YA title or not? The age of the protagonist is not relevant. The theme of the book is. Generally, a Young Adult book specifically addresses coming of age issues, told in such a way as to be accessible to readers younger than the protagonists. This differs from the traditional coming of age tale, which is normally told from a nostalgic standpoint and is written with the sensibilities of older readers in mind. Does the book actually address issues accessible to young readers, or is it a hack-n-slash slaughterfest that just happens to have a teen girl in it?

Is this the same book with Rose in it who gets married and then has to fight to save her love's homeland? It seems to me that her age is arbitrary and in her world she is an adult. This protagonist, at least from how I understand it, is NOT a "teenager" in the way we would normally think about teenagers. Is the protagonist considered a "teen" in her world, or would she be considered an adult? Are you approaching this book from the mind of a MINOR struggling with adult situations, or from an adult struggling with these situations? Forget her age.
She is very much a 'teen' at the beginning and grows more mature along the way although certain others still think of her as young and naive... also she doesn't actually get married, she just falls in love with the guy. The POV when I reread it felt youthful to me and I've had beta readers say it feels like a YA (when I didn't describe it as such) IMO I think it would appeal to teenage readers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
glutton said:
Do you have to get rid of both categories or could you just leave one blank for them to fill in?
I was told to make the book 'uncategorized' and removed all the categories. But check with them first. m I'd hate for you to be in limbo for a few days and them be told they can't make the changes for you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top