Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 950 books are causing the page turns on home page to be slow.  She says I should not have 950 books on my device even tho' it's made to hold 3,500.  The page turns on the home page (I have 8 pages of collections) take about 20 - 30 seconds to turn and the KCS told me it's because I have too many books on the device and I need to take most of them off!  This does not make me happy.  What happened to the device holding 3500 books.  The last time a CS rep told me that the Techie guy told me she was crazy.

I called KCS today because my battery isn't holding a charge for very long. This replacement Kindle has been this way since I got it in Feb. but it's getting worse.  Saturday night I charged K3 overnight (is was down to 20% or less).  After 8 hours charging the amber light was still on.  It happens 98% of the time I charge it and I have to  unplug the cord from the device, replug it in and wait 1/2 hour before the green light comes on.  Yesterday I used it for 1/2 hour in church and read for about 3 hours (wifi was off) and I only had 10% battery left, reading less than 4 hours used 90% of my battery.

I recharged overnight (amber/green light problem still happening)  and after reading 10 minutes this morning it discharged 20% of the battery.

A secondary problem occurs whenever I try to bookmark something.  Twenty percent of the time bookmarking won't work and will freeze my Kindle and I have to hold the switch and reboot the entire device.  It doesn't matter if I use ALT + B or do it from the Menu.  Saturday night I was trying to book mark a page and four times in a row it froze (I tried book marking both ways) and I had to restart it by holding the switch four times.  Each time it restarts it drops 20% of it's charge.

Reading 4 hours a day, I'm having to charge every 2 days because it drops it's charge so quickly I'm afraid to let it get below 1/3 of a charge.  I can be reading for 15 minutes (wifi off) and it can  loose 30-50% battery power.

This is the replacement K3 I got in February when my first K3 froze and died when I was downloading the most recent software update.

KCS told me they'd take info off my K3 and get back to me on Friday.

BTW, she mentioned perhaps having to send me a new device and I mentioned that I had a skin.  When they replaced my original device in Feb the refused to reimburse me for my skin and I told her I wasn't  happy about having to replace a 2nd one.  She said that whenever a device is replaced that is skinned a reimbursement SHOULD ALWAYS be given for the skin.  She apologized for the slip in Feb. and promised if I need a new device I will be reimbursed for a skin.

Amazon Kindle Customer Service really is good.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
It's not the number of books. . . .but I do think multiple collections and all the books sorted into them is going to slow things down -- I've noticed it on mine -- I have 10 collections with about 700 books sorted into them, some in more than one collection.  Once I choose a book for reading, there's absolutely no problem in page turn response time.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me. :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The slow page turns on the Home page is annoying but not something I'd even call KCS about.  I just mentioned it to them when I called about the battery draining so severely.  Ten minutes of reading this a.m. should not have drained the battery 20%, four hours of reading yesterday should not have drained the batter 90%.  KCS said that was unusual and should not be happening.  No, nothing is indexing.  I have always been pleased with Kindle Customer Service and I still am.  Getting back to me on Friday is fine because I know the Techie guys are going to look into things and they WILL call me back.

The good KCS is one of the main reasons I won't go with any other eReader.  My DD has a Color Nook and is terrified she'll have a problem because they couldn't even help her to set it up properly when she got it and problems just stump them she says.  She has the computer tech guy at work help her with any Nook problems rather than call their customer service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tatiana said:
My 950 books are causing the page turns on home page to be slow. She says I should not have 950 books on my device even tho' it's made to hold 3,500. The page turns on the home page (I have 8 pages of collections) take about 20 - 30 seconds to turn and the KCS told me it's because I have too many books on the device and I need to take most of them off! This does not make me happy. What happened to the device holding 3500 books. The last time a CS rep told me that the Techie guy told me she was crazy.
My Kindle is doing exactly the same thing. I have 698 books, only 12 collections and over 2gb memory left at the moment. I have tried everything mentioned on this and other forums to speed but nothing works other than taking most of the books off and leaving about 100 on it. I have tried deleating the index file in the hidden folder and leaving it on over night to re-index the books. Also tried deleated everything resetting the Kindle back to default then putting the books back but still the same.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
It sounds like having a lot of books on the Kindle is not a good idea.  I like to keep mine down to around 50 and store anything else on my computer.

The Kindle is really a reading device, not a storage device.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I "store" my books in my archive. Takes only a few seconds to download and reappear on my home page.
The only things on my home page are current reading and whatever game I'm using (Every Word at the moment). 

·
Registered
568 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is any indexing going on in the background?

900+ books is a large number of books to add in such a short time. It may be that some of the ebooks did not index properly. This would definitely slow the device down, as well as drain the battery quickly. I have heard this happening, especially if you add ebooks in large batches.

Do a search for any nonsense word (shouldn't be a real word). The search results screen will tell you if indexing is still going on for any ebooks. It may be that you just need to remove the ones that aren't indexing properly, then add them back in, but in smaller batches.

I can see how a large number of collections could make the Home pages turn slower. I wouldn't think it would affect battery life, though. Indexing will definitely affect battery life. If a book doesn't index properly, I think the Kindle keeps trying to index it in the background - it doesn't ever seem to give up indexing attempts when an ebook fails.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Sam Rivers said:
It sounds like having a lot of books on the Kindle is not a good idea. I like to keep mine down to around 50 and store anything else on my computer.

The Kindle is really a reading device, not a storage device.
It should be both. Part of the appeal of an e-reader is having your whole library with you everywhere you go. They advertising it being able to hold a couple thousand books, so it should be able to do so without issues. I keep all my e-books on my Kindle, but I only have 80 or so thus far as I'm not a super heavy reader.

That said, I don't believe Kindle support in this case. Maybe about the slowness on the home screen, but not the battery life.

I agree with the above poster that something is probably not indexing and that's killing the battery. If not that, then there's something wrong with the device and I'd try a replacement.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
mooshie78 said:
It should be both. Part of the appeal of an e-reader is having your whole library with you everywhere you go.
I agree with your sentiment. Having your library available everywhere is great. Keeping the books in the archive though is fine. Its not carrying the books on my person i like so much as having access to them. The 3g gives me that. I have no idea how long it will take me to accumulate the numbers of books you are carrying, if I ever do, but I doubt I would keep that many on the kindle at one time. For instance, i have 80 audible books in my iPod. That has always been plenty and the rest are on my computer ready to be swapped when I want to.

I guess batteries must eventually fail in any device. I recently bought a new battery for my iPod. haven't put it in yet because my old one is still ok. I did notice a reduction in life though, so i took the chance to get a new one ready to instal. Does Amazon sell replacement parts like the battery? i imagine its very similar to the iPod one.

Mark E. Cooper

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
markecooper said:
I agree with your sentiment. Having your library available everywhere is great. Keeping the books in the archive though is fine. Its not carrying the books on my person i like so much as having access to them. The 3g gives me that.
I have WiFi only, though it's still a fair point as my Kindle pretty much only leaves the house for out of town trips so I'm mainly using it with the WiFi on anyway.

I just like having my books on my Kindle and organized in collections etc. No real reason for it as I seldom re-read anything! But again, I have a tiny number of books compared to the OP anyway, if I had a ton maybe I'd re-consider and use the archive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think that is it.  I have nearly a 1000 books in 40 collections with about a gig and some change left - without any big draining problem.

I've had the bookmarking problem but only in books that look to be the dreaded topaz format.

Sounds more like a book indexing problem.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I agree the book marking thing will probably have something to do with indexing, but the power drain sounds like a short in the battery cell. The older laptops had some similar problems, but of course modern cells are very different now. For power to drop 20% in the blink of an eye like that, it has to be an actual fault not a software problem I would think, unless the kindle is reporting a drop that hasn't actually occured. That could be software I suppose.

The 3g is one of the biggest selling points for me. It amazed me at the time that the original iPad didn't ship with internet access when it first launched. A tablet like that without access on the move seemed pointless to me. So with kindle, in that back in the day when i was first hearing about it, one of the selling points was being able to download news and mags while on the move, like on a train or anywhere away from home. Hotspots were not so well known or prevelant then.

Nowadays, your mobile phone is a mobile hotspot! My HTC can be a hotspot for my tablet or my kindle, so even if for some reason the 3g failed i would still have wi-fi through the phone... at least I think I would. I must try it out. I love my gadgets.

Mark E. Cooper

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I had a K1 and K2 before getting a K3, so I knew I didn't really need the 3G since I hardly ever downloaded any books outside the house the 2 years I had those Kindles.

But free 3G is great selling people for those who carry their Kindle's everywhere with them--I was happy to have the option this time to save $50 since mine seldom leaves the house.  So everyone's happy! :D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I would not want to have to remove books from my Kindle so that I can use the device properly. My K1 ended up being full for a while and I had no issues with page turns slowing down.

I have 400 books on my K3 and DXG and have not had any problems. I moved my collections from the DXG to my K3 and found that it was about 5 pages worth of collections. I removed the collections and reorganized since I wanted my collections on no more then 2 pages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my kindle yesterday too and loaded it with 750 books.  Even though I charged it full, it lost 75% of its charge overnight....

I know some people talk about the kindle indexing books but how long should that take before it finishes indexing...

Also my kindle is really slow, is that just something caused by the number of books or is it that the kindle is still indexing them?

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
If you loaded 750 books at once indexing will take a while. . .best to keep it plugged in and you might want to check every hour or two to make sure it's still working and hasn't gotten stuck: search for a nonsense string and make sure that it's a smaller number of books left not indexed each time.

It's probably slow because of the background work, but with that many books the home screen may still be slow even when everything is finished.  Reading should be zippy, though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts