Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on Shelfari that Sam’s Club is selling Kindle 1, for $250.  I’m not a member of Sam’s Club, so have no idea if this is true or not, but thought I’d pass on the info.

Sharyn

·
Registered
208 Posts
I went to sams last Wednesday and they had the Sony 505.  The Sony displayed so you could "use" it, but anchored so you couldn't hold it so see how it fit in your hands and check the weight.  I did not see a kindle or any other model of the Sony Reader.

If I remember correctly it was 298 maybe less, definitely under 300.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I did a search on google and nothing came up. It might take someone going into the store and looking for the Kindle. It would make sense to get Kindles out into regular stores. That way more people see it and their interest is piqued.

Sharyn, do you know anyone who is a member who can check? Maybe someone is confusing the Kindle with the Sony because they don't the difference between the e-books.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I was at Sams on Sunday for my usual grocery shopping and only saw the Sony. I actually never touched one of those and wanted to see how it looked compared to the Kindle, but of course it was dead.  ::)

I didn't see any Kindles, but I wasn't looking. I doubt this though. Wouldn't make any sense. They have a Sony display endcap, I think they sell the Sony at Costco too.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
It might be that the Kindle 1 is only being sold at stores now that Kindle 2 is being sold online. It will be interesting to see if that happens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sam's Club is selling the Sony e reader for 269.00 not the Kindle.  I am in the store all the time and will check again but as far as i know right now it is the sony that Sam's has in there store. 

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was in Sam's this weekend and saw the Sony e-reader, but not the Kindle.

I wanted to check out the Sony, but was disappointed, as other posters mentioned, because it was anchored to the display so couldn't be held, and it was dead so couldn't see the screen or any of the functions.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
It is anchord at Target as well. And someone had changed the screen to read on lanscape and not letter. I fiddled with it for five minutes and couldn't figure out how to flip it to letter.

Overall, I was not impressed. It is smaller but the screen didn't seem to be all that different. The print on the menu was larger, but that might be because it was on landscape and not letter.

If I didn't know about the Kindle, I might buy it. There was only one left on the shelf so it looks to be selling ok. I saw the 505 and not the 705.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I should think Amazon would have some pretty upset customers if they held up orders so they could supply all of the Sams Clubs with Kindles to sell.  :-[

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I know is what was posted on Shelfari. I'm quoting that here:

"Did you guys know that they are selling Kindle's at Sam's Club now? A friend of mine from work who just bought herself a new Kindle last month from Amazon after seeing mine, said that she saw them there and that they are selling them for $250. Can you believe that? They are the Kindle 1.0, but still........

I guess they decided to do that now that the 2.0 is out. Wish I had known earlier. I bought mine in October of last year. I would have waited to buy it at Sam's Club if I had. Or had I known that a newer version was coming out so soon, I would have waited and bought the 2.0."

Evidently, the person who saw it knows the difference between a Sony and a Kindle. I dunno...

Sharyn

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I doubt the Kindle would have been available last month. There was a huge wait list for K1. If there were Kindles to ship to Sam's CLub then there were Kindles to ship to people waiting at Amazon.

My guess is that she assumes any e-book is a Kindle.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
ProfCrash said:
It is anchord at Target as well. And someone had changed the screen to read on lanscape and not letter. I fiddled with it for five minutes and couldn't figure out how to flip it to letter. ...
I ususally check the Sony display when I am in a Target. I often see the screen switched to landscape. I usually change it back. With the fixed buttons along the long side, I can see how it would be confusing to see the number choices along a short side and then need to push a button on an adjacent side.

I agree with ProfCrash. I suspect the person did not know the difference between a Sony and a Kindle.
Anna

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Annalog said:
I ususally check the Sony display when I am in a Target. I often see the screen switched to landscape. I usually change it back. With the fixed buttons along the long side, I can see how it would be confusing to see the number choices along a short side and then need to push a button on an adjacent side.
Is that the trick? I'll look for it next time I am at Target

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think that there are no "surplus" K1's to be sold at discount by Sam's or other retailers.  Amazon probably cleaned out the supply pipe of Kindle 1's and shipped them until they were used up, and now will send K2's to those customers still waiting for theirs.  I have two K1's and from what I have read, would prefer them to the new K2's. It's all good for us because this means more digital book customers which means more digitized books.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
sharyn said:
I just read on Shelfari that Sam's Club is selling Kindle 1, for $250. I'm not a member of Sam's Club, so have no idea if this is true or not, but thought I'd pass on the info.

Sharyn
hmm, I had no idea. That would be pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts