Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm hoping someone here can help me. How long should a full charge on a K1 last? (how many hours of reading until the monitor shows a drop in power?) About how long should the battery last before needing to be replaced? What are the signs that it needs to be replaced?

I have a K1 that has had several months of regular use, and its battery still holds a charge for many hours of reading. Turning on the whispernet makes it drop by about 1/2 from wherever it was, but it did that from the beginning.

A friend has a K1 about the same age, and its battery seems to start losing charge after just an hour or two of use. Turning on the whispernet lowers the power a lot. Is that a sign that she should start shopping for a replacement battery, or is it just normal variation for these things?

I'm also curious about the recharging process--should the Kindle be taken off the charger as soon as possible after it reaches "full," or is it preferable to leave it hooked up for longer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Cherie said:
A friend has a K1 about the same age, and its battery seems to start losing charge after just an hour or two of use. Turning on the whispernet lowers the power a lot. Is that a sign that she should start shopping for a replacement battery, or is it just normal variation for these things?
I would think that's a sign that the battery capacity is decreasing. I don't think it's an emergency, but I would begin thinking about buying a new one.

Cherie said:
I'm also curious about the recharging process--should the Kindle be taken off the charger as soon as possible after it reaches "full," or is it preferable to leave it hooked up for longer?
I don't think that it hurts to leave it on the charger, but I don't think it helps either. Some batteries they say not to leave on the charger because the little dip and subsequent top off of power will affect the battery's capacity, but the Kindle uses so little power when it's idle that I doubt that would be a problem, even if it was an issue for the battery.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Mine holds a charge for days and days...although if I turn on Whispernet, like you, it drops quick.  Mostly I leave Whispernet off.  I have ordered a replacement battery for future use and it has been backordered for weeks.  I would strongly recommend that your friend go ahead and order since she (or he) will have to wait a bit to get the new battery from Amazon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts