Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone direct me to a thread about what to do when the kindle doesn't turn on when I switch it on?  I'm not panicking yet, but . . .

The silver cursor button near the place where you scroll up to select a book is on and turning round and round.

I have it hooked up now to charge.  The charge light is on but it still won't turn on.  It appeared that the charge was not at all low when I turned it off early this morning.

Yikes.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Take the back off and do a hard reset with a paper clip in the little hole there.

unplug it first.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anju No. 469 said:
Take the back off and do a hard reset with a paper clip in the little hole there.

unplug it first.
Thanks for your quick response. I just did it and now with it on, I see my home page. Whew! Thank you a hundred times!

I've had my K1 for 7 months. Just received my Oberon cover and had just put it on and then it didn't come on. It's fine now.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:

unplug it first.
Actually, it should be plugged in when you do a hard reset.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pidgeon92 said:
Actually, it should be plugged in when you do a hard reset.
I did it unplugged. Not sure what the difference is in the outcome. Anyone know?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you get it fixed?  My K1 acted like that when the battery died.  It didn't slow down or anything, just "Bink", and there was no power.  Resets didn't work, when I replaced the battery, it fired right up...

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I've never had mine plugged in when I've done a hard reset, and it's always done the reset just fine. So I don't know how "required" it is, perhaps it's just "recommended"?  (and I have no idea why it would be required or recommended or needed...)

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I think it's recommended because sometimes the 'freeze up' is due, in part, to not enough battery power to get done whatever the Kindle is trying to get done.  Having it connected to mains insures that it will have enough power to get itself going again and then get on with what it was doing.  Remember, indexing and stuff does happen in the background and uses some power.  And if the radio is on, it does periodically look for a signal which will also use power.  If it tries to do 3 things at once, like many of us, it gets confused.  :D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Ann would be correct.
Especially about the doing three things at once and getting confused. These days sometimes one is enough to trigger it.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
LOL...ain't that the truth.

That does make sense, though, thanks Ann and Verena!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I had just had my first "problem".  My K1 was fully charged and I was reading along fine, put it to sleep to do something and when I came back, nada - no silver thingy, nothing.  Had to head to the KB to find out just how to do a reset, tried a soft reset - nada.  So did the hard reset, unplugged, and it was fine.  I have never noticed indexing before, and it had been several weeks since I had added anything so didn't even think it could be an index problem.

So should a hard reset on K1 be done when you are charging and/or plugged in?  So far we are rockin' along fine.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
K1 "should" be plugged in for a hard reset, but I have done it a few times unplugged with no problem. I never let my battery get below half charge, however.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks intinst - as soon as it is half down it is recharged no matter how inconvenient it is  :-\ ( I have to change my reading position )

BTW glad to see you are taking some time off from your paying job!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Yeah, MY battery got WAY below half charge.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did fix it right after I saw Anju's post about how to do the reset.  It worked.  It was unplugged, but I the charge wasn't low.  I don't let it get down to even half-way charged, because I don't want it to lose the charge while I'm out with it. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts