Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The K2 I ordered for my son in Iraq arrived yesterday! Unfortuneately, I've only had time to take it out of the box, quickly admire it, and then plug it in. (I have a work deadline and problems with running XP on my Mac at the moment that are consuming way too much of my time.) I plan to load some classics on it in addition to some purchased books, and I am wondering about what formatting needs to be done on the free books.

I've been doing searches about free books and formats. If I have it right, the order of preference for format is AZW, then MOBI, then PRC. Once I download free books, are most good to go as is or do most require some formatting? What are 1 or 2 of the "best" sites to download free classics where most books are ready to read without having to do anything to them?

I'll be downloading lots of books with the desire to get this Kindle on its way soon. Well, I may have to--ah hemm--thoroughly "check it out" for a few days  before my husband pulls it from my tightly gripped hands... But then I can see I may have to pry it away from hear once he sees it! LOL  My son called me the day before the K2 arrived and I told him I'll be going through major withdrawal pains once I ship it to him.--And that's just with all the time I've spent on KB--I haven't even downloaded a book and used it yet! LOL I truly think I belong here.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1136.msg186127.html#new

Check out this thread. Tons of information. Sites like Gutenberg.org offer kindle versions. You dowload it to your computer and move it over to your K. It's very easy.

deb
p.s. you can stay here even without a K. Besides, I bet you'll have your own before too long.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
You'll only get .azw from Amozon.  On the other sites look for .prc files.  My two favorites outside of Amazon are www.manybooks.net and www.feedbooks.com  He'll be able to get them himself, too, if he has computer access.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
We'd love for you to hang around with us. Lots more Kindles where your son's came from...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
.prc and .mobi files are good to go on the Kindle, no reformatting required. Make sure you drag them into the Documents folder on the Kindle.

The only thing you might notice is that the author/title information does not display on the home page exactly right. It's just a matter of aesthetics, nothing that needs to be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
I predict it will be hard for you to send it on to your son. . . . . .and that you'll have your own before too much longer. . . .:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I've been working on developing a custom rss newspaper here: http://www.Libertynewsprint.com I don't own a Kindle DX yet but I'd like to know how the PDF's from the website look on it.

If anyone is inclined to download the PDF and provide some feedback I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

~Joel

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Joel, you might want to start a thread with your question.  I'm sure you'll get more responses that way. 
Good luck.
deb

·
Registered
428 Posts
Since I'm pretty technologically challenged I use feedbooks.com for the classics.  Mostly because it downloads wirelessly, like the Amazon books.  I like that you don't have to hook up to the computer, it just seems easier, and faster to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
feedbooks.com and mnybks.net can download with no computer, all you need is whispernet. feedbooks has alot of newer books for free. just look under popular books.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
lexi61689 said:
feedbooks.com and mnybks.net can download with no computer, all you need is whispernet. feedbooks has alot of newer books for free. just look under popular books.
but if you don't have WN you can still download to the computer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts