Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a Kindle 2, purchased five weeks ago, and I love it. What I hate, though, is the lack of a file management system. Is the programming too difficult to accomplish this simple task? I am not a programmer, so I really do not understand.

I also do not understand why there is no memory card. It reminds me of earlier iterations of computers when nobody could see a reason for more than 8 mb of memory, 20 mb of hard drive. That thinking is just not forward thinking! (and that laptop is gathering dust in my closet)

I also object to being married to a device which has no option to change batteries. Even the Ipod has a replacement battery available with the tool and instructions to change it included... they are all over ebay. I understand where Amazon is going with the DX and why it is now a priority, but are they deaf? I understand the backlight problem with E ink, but do not understand why a side light or even a surface attachable light frame with side LED lights are not available.

Hmmm. Would just love to have the best features of the K1, K2, and Sony all in one unit. Is that too much to ask?  ???

In my humble opinion, Amazon has now, with the announcement of the DX, divided their interests and will be following two distinct development paths: One for the reader and one for the student. SO, perhaps we should develop our own wish list for the K3 "reader" and make sure Jeff Bezos knows what we are needing before we bite the bullet and upgrade!
::)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you want an SD card and a replaceable battery, return the K2 and get a K1. There are refurbished ones available on Amazon and they are only $299. File management seems to be something Amazon can't figure out yet. Sorry to say. I love my K1, see no reason to upgrade to the K2.

The side light that Sony has hasn't been well received, perhaps the technology isn't there yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mona, I know K1 has those features: that is why I am perplexed that the K2 eliminated them just so they could brag about the 1/3 inch thickness, which is evidently too thin since we all seem to use bulky covers on our Kindles. I merely propose this: We, the users, in order to design a more perfect union of book and electronics, should unite and give Jeff our wish list for the K3 so he and the design team have a clear understanding of what our "focus group" wants when the K3 is developed.  ;D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I understand your dismay, but I also understand where Amazon is coming from on the SD card, removable battery, and side light issues.  The problem with a focus group of users is that you're never going to come close to consensus on what the desired end result product will look like, because we all have different needs and preferences.

As you pointed out, the first two are strictly due to the desire for a thinner, lighter device. I'd like a memory card, but it's not a deal breaker to me, especially since it's clear from the DX that they plan to keep increasing memory size on later models.  The lack of a removable battery is part of the price you pay for a thin & light device; I've lived with an iPhone under the same conditions for nearly two years, and though it goes through 5 more battery cycles in a week than the K2 does, it still doesn't need replacement.  Given the light usage of the e-ink screen, I anticipate I'm not going to have to change the battery out before I'm ready to upgrade!  LOL

The side light, as has been pointed out, suits some people and doesn't suit others at all.  I personally hate the Lightwedge, which is the closest Kindle alternative, and would never consider a heavier Kindle that included something similar as a feature.  I've had one for years with DTBs, and the light is simply too uneven.  I think Amazon's point there was similar to the one they made by not including a default cover--the choice of a light is up to the end user as everyone has different preferences.  Additionally, having an onboard light is another battery drain and an additional cost that I'm not willing to take on.

What I'd really like to see is a continued expansion of the Kindle models to be similar to the way most companies produce laptops--you pick a netbook, a 15", or a 17", different amounts of RAM to choose from, different sizes of hard drives, etc.  By providing a few different options, Amazon can cover all ends of the spectrum, producing a reader for those who want something stripped down & much cheaper, something for the heavy re-reader who doesn't want to use Amazon's servers for storage, something for the business market, etc.

As for the organization issue, I have NO answer.  The programming itself shouldn't be that complicated.  I've read and heard Amazon's explanations for why this isnt a priority to them (or isn't necessary!), and it still doesn't make any sense.  It makes even less sense when you think about the DX holding up to 3500 books with no way to organize them!  

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It is very difficult to do folders from the device. And Amazon uses the "you don't need a computer to own a Kindle" for advertising. Until they drop that, I don't think there will be folders. I have the Sony and it has folders but, they have to be made and organized on the computer. And it isn't "instinctive".

·
Registered
802 Posts
My guess is that they are having trouble organizing folders and files using ONLY the Kindle. They must be doing some focus group testing and folks are having trouble remembering where their books were placed and are just ignoring it. I think as well that a vast majority of users are only reading a few things at a time, thus the "recently read" column is sufficient.

Once the Kindle develops a PC side "itunes" type interface and gets a better control interface, I think we will see this itch scratched. Remember, not even the latest generation ipods let you manage stuff with only the device. Granted, the Kindle has a lot more control options, but overall I think the casual user (and NONE of us here qualitfy as a casual kindle user) just couldn't care so Amazon works on other things. Maybe there is a DRM issue as well?

For sure though, once a bunch of college kids get their mitts on a KDX, we will see MANY MANY hacks and programs! One of those guys will figure out folders even if Amazon never bothers. Sudoku and crossword puzzles as well, I expect.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Red said:
It is very difficult to do folders from the device. And Amazon uses the "you don't need a computer to own a Kindle" for advertising. Until they drop that, I don't think there will be folders. I have the Sony and it has folders but, they have to be made and organized on the computer. And it isn't "instinctive".
Maybe they should just switch to "you don't need a computer to own a Kindle (unless you want folders)"

OP, I'd love folders too. SD card doesn't bother me much because it'll take me forever to fill my K2 anyway & storing others on my pc doesn't bother me - although if I can't have folders, an SD would be nice for portable organization.

The lack of changeable battery I just find a bit odd. It certainly doesn't bother me now, but I know that with other devices, batteries can sometimes die fairly quickly, and I really don't want to shell out another $360 for a new Kindle just because the battery is dead.

None of that was reason enough to stop me buying my K2 though and it is, without doubt, the best inanimate object I possess. I'll be sharing hankies for the tears of joy though if they do ever add folders.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I want folders, too, but there is a tag system that you can use by utilizing the "notes" feature of K1 or K2.

I started a thread on it:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,7710.0.html

Folders would be, obviously, the BEST THING EVER!!! But this tag system helps a little....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
As far as folders/tags etc go...

I'm a technical architect who has designed software for quite a few years.  In my opinion, Folders or tags are technically very easy to implement.  But it's difficult to do it in a way that would be easy for the average person to use with the Kindle interface. 

Now that they are on their third version/model/generation, I'm guessing Amazon doesn't want to implement something unless they can do it right. 

But I agree with everyone else.  I sure wish they would figure it out.  I would really like some way to organize my books and I know many people have more books on their K than I do.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
You know, I'd probably be willing to pay something for an Amazon Certified folder enhancement upgrade.

·
Registered
205 Posts
you know, i'd love to just have a folder for each author.  Simple.  I would have several pages of author's names (no biggie), select an author, then scroll and select whatever book I was interested in.  Having just one entry for "Anne McCaffrey" for example, would free sooooooo much room on my Kindle!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am actually happy with the interface the way it is. I have no need for folders, and I'm confident that by the time my battery dies, I will be able to get a replacement battery and replace it myself.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
You know that what Amazon has done with the K2 is exactly what Apple did with the Mac.
Closed the box and invalidate your warrantee if you open it and no add-ons thank you.
And everyone said Apple folks were a bunch of geniuses.

And for my money, Amazon has it more right than Apple ever did.
Just sayin.....

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
hazeldazel said:
you know, i'd love to just have a folder for each author. Simple. I would have several pages of author's names (no biggie), select an author, then scroll and select whatever book I was interested in. Having just one entry for "Anne McCaffrey" for example, would free sooooooo much room on my Kindle!
But you can already organize by author

1 - 20 of 30 Posts