Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Amazon K2 board but thought I'd try here also. Note: If I sound like I'm being unreasonable tell me....I'd rather not send my K2 back and get a new on w/ some other more irritating problem. Anyway:

Anyone notice a "creaking" noise in their K2 case? The area of my case, on the left side, from just below the next page button to the bottom left hand corner has some play in it and emits a "creaking" sound when I hold it during reading. This is where my left thumb reesides when holding the ebook. This particular area of the case is just a bit spongy w/ a bit of give to it. The rest of the case is solid.

I'm not a nut nor particularly anal about this stuff.....but my wife notices it when she's going to sleep.

I spoke to CS about it and although the guy said he'd never heard about this, and sounded a bit hesitant about the problem, he did say that Amazon would replace the K2 to make me a happy customer.

Anyone have any experience with this? Am I just being a nut?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have to admit, this is the first I've heard of a creaky case, but I wouldn't say you're a nut.. At least not based on this, as I haven't gotten to know you yet.. We've got some people here nuttier than peanut butter, so even if you are a nut, you'll fit right in!

If it bothers you, I'd return it. There are so many other covers out there to choose from, you're bound to find one that works for you (or in my case 3 or 4 or more...) You can go over to the accessory board and discover the wide world of Kindle accessories. Just bring you're wallet...It tends to get expensive over there REALLY fast ;D and we're REALLY good at convincing you that you REALLY need things.

Really...

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I'm not sure I understand where the noise is coming from?  Is it the Kindle itself?  Or the case or cover you have it in?

Ann

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does the same thing at the bottom left corner just below the page button.  This is the only complaint I have about my Kindle but it is not enough to send back because you never know what new problem you will end up with.  It is very annoying because it does creak.  I thought about a little super glue…..just teasing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ann

The creak is from the Kindle itself. If you look at the side of the bottom left side of the Kindle and press the top w/ your thumb, the Kindle creaks and you can see the plastic top of the Kindle flex. This happens w or w/out the leather case on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine creaked on the Menu/Back button but it's better now. The creaking is coming from the plastic parts rubbing together. I was able to reduce it by applying a little sideways pressure on the edge of the case top to relieve the pressure between the top and bottom of the case.

·
Registered
70 Posts
add me to the creakList... bout 3 days after i got the K2 it started creaking when pressure was applied to the lower left side of the unit.  To be clear the pressure i mentioned is the result of holding the K2 during normal use.  tried to ignore it but now that i know its there it bugs the crap outta me... lol... soon as i get back to the US im gonna try for a replacement.  I've been hearing that amazon CS can be hit or miss... is this accurate? 

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Amazon cs is great. I have not heard many complaints. They usually replace the Kindle if there is a problem.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Gotta tell ya that my K2 is solid as the old "Rock of Gibraltar" (did I spell that right?).
I would try to set the case by applying pressure.
But if it remains squeaky, I would return it. Believe me mine is SOLID.

·
Registered
126 Posts
dcom said:
Mine creaked on the Menu/Back button but it's better now. The creaking is coming from the plastic parts rubbing together. I was able to reduce it by applying a little sideways pressure on the edge of the case top to relieve the pressure between the top and bottom of the case.
Although my kindle never had this problem but the above is also my suspect since the kindle is made up of plastic. I would not worry much if I where you if it is not affecting the program of kindle itself. But you may call customer service on what remedy you can do if it really bothers you. As long as it does not affect my reading and the Kindle itself program and all. Its fine with me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi I'm a new Kindle 2 owner. I, too, have the creak in the case at the same place. I called CS and they offered to replace it or to give me a $30 credit on my account. I'm not trying to decide if I should "live" with the creaking or not for a while and take the credit. They said if they replace it, then I can no longer return it if the new one creaks too. Not sure what to do. It's about 10 days old and I think the creaking is getting worse but it's probably just annoying me. On mine, if you turn the K2 on the side you can see the white part move up and down a little.

What do you all think? Return it?

EllenR

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you are like a lot of us, you carry this device anywhere and everywhere. You have to decide if it is stable and OK or if it might get worse, or drive you crazy then based on that make your decision.

Sylvia

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I am really happy with Amazon.
And I love my K2.
Mine has none of the problems reported.  Solid as a rock.
Which is why I say that I would ask for a replacement.
It seems to me that it should be simple enough for the device to be manufactured and assembled without these "creaks".  You have every right to expect quality finishing for $350 bucks.  This is not said in any way to be argumentative with Amazon.  See my first sentence.  I REALLY like them.  But I want my K2 to be perfect (which mine appears to be).  Lucky me. 
And I want you to be Lucky you, too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I decided that it is very squeaky and will just continue to annoy me. I called and asked for it to be replaced. It sounds like this is my one "drop or accident" replacement in their minds even though it's clearly a defect in manufacturing so I hope nothing else goes wrong with it!

Thanks again for the opinions. :)

EllenR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts