Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an original Kindle for a while, and ended up getting one for my wife as well.  My few little annoyances seemed to get solved by the 2nd version, so I ordered one right away (our third Kindle).

One thing has been bugging me.  It used to be that when I turned the Kindle off and back on at a later date, it would remember where I was in the book and go straight to that page.  Now, with the K2, it generally doesn't (maybe one out of five times).  I turned off synchronization from the Amazon site, and generally use it with the wireless off to save power.  Even with syncro on and wireless on, it works pretty infrequently.  Has anyone else run into this?  It's such a pain to go find where I was previously each and every time I start reading.

It may be a glitch with this specific book, I'm not sure, as it also doesn't let me jump to some of the chapters from the table of contents menu.  Some work, others don't.  I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of such a thing.

One suggestion I might try that I read here is to not actually turn it off, but just let it go to sleep instead.  Maybe that'll help the issue!

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
What you describe doesn't sound like 'working as designed'.  But I never turn mine off so I can't really say.  I'd try with another book and if it happens there too, it's probably time for a call to Customer Service.

Good luck!

Ann

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I haven't had it happen but I have gotten in the habit for months of bookmarking my pages after it happened on my Kindle 1 once and frustrated me no end  :D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Haven't heard anybody else complaining about this. Maybe now that you have mentioned it, others might bring up this issue as well.  ???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also having this same problem. I read 1 book with no problem, but with my 2nd book, I'm having this problem.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Nikki - welcome  to the kindleboards.  Sorry your first post was a problem, but you have probably helped others.  Be sure and go to the Intro/Welcome thread and let us know about you and so others can give you a warm welcome.  :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having this problem too!  I have to remember to bookmark when I turn my K2 off or I'm back to the beginning of the book.  I'll try what was posted earlier by someone who never turns the reader off.  That may be the work-around.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I just tested it on my K2, both with turning off (holding button for 5 seconds) and also doing a reset (hold the button for 15+ seconds until it completely restarts and resets itself). In both cases, the book I was reading re-opened to the page where I had left off.

L

·
Registered
106 Posts
So far I have just put hte Kindle to sleep (not off) and I haven't had this problem. That seems like a design flaw to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been turning my Kindle 2 on and off (all the way off), and haven't noticed this problem.  It seems to be staying at the point in the book where I was.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I think I saw on another thread that someone was having this problem and decided it had to do with the book they were reading, it was happening only with the one book

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have tried it with & without the whisper net on. Still would not save my place without a bookmark.  It could have just been the books I was reading.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I haven't had this problem at all and I turn mine off a lot more than just putting it to sleep and I leave the Whispernet off mostly to save the battery. I wonder if it's the book you are reading.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Maybe this problem is somehow related to the ebook.  Could someone experiencing this problem, post the name of their book and the source.  As long as book can be obtained legally, I will test with my K.  If source is Amazon, I will return to them and point out the problem, if I am able to reproduce.  And post my experience here.

Have people experiencing this, tested with another ebook on their Ks?

This all depends on this board staying up.  Something is going on here.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes, unfortunately we do seem to be having some server problems. Hopefully things will get fixed soon.

As to the book...did we already discuss this? Is it a topaz formatted book? I know I had problems with skipping pages and so on in the few Topaz books I have read.

L

·
Registered
675 Posts
I read Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank & Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke.  I bought both through Amazon.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Karen said:
I read Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank & Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke. I bought both through Amazon.
Hmm, I love chocolate cookie cookies!! and mysteries. I'll get back to you on this; after lunch.

Unless, L beats me to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts