1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
711 Posts
meemo, would you tell me more about your netbook? Like....why you chose it -- if you like it ?

I googled them after reading your posts and I'm intrigued.  It looks as if it might be the perfect birthday gift for a son who can't afford his own laptop. 

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ellesu, I think there's a thread in Off Topic about netbooks... Like a billion pages :)

I bought one, for travel and the living room IMDB lookups. I wouldn't ever want one as my only computer. Screen too small, hard drive too small to be your one and only.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks akjak, I'm headed to Off Topics now.  Never been there before -- I hope it's not scary!  ;)

After the little reading I've done, I see what you mean about it not being the one and only.  They are cute little things though.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ellesu said:
meemo, would you tell me more about your netbook? Like....why you chose it -- if you like it ?

I googled them after reading your posts and I'm intrigued. It looks as if it might be the perfect birthday gift for a son who can't afford his own laptop.
Akjak's right: you probably found it but the thread's here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,3015.0.html including why I chose the Asus EEE 1000HA, which is mainly because the keyboard is 93% of a regular keyboard. I've been typing for over 40 years, so the keyboard is kind of important to me. The smaller 8-9" ones are just too small for me. I was looking for something I could use to check e-mail & surf the net while I'm watching TV, and take when we're traveling. If I do any heavy-duty computing I'll do it on our desktop. I've also found it's great for using in the kitchen - I love to look up recipes online and I end up printing some of them over & over because I've never managed to get all those print-outs organized. Now I can pull up a recipe online on the netbook, set it up at the end of the kitchen counter, and see it with no problem. Loving that!

But as Akjak says, if this would be his only computer, it might not be enough for him - depends on what he wants to do with it. But if he has a desktop and just wants a laptop in addition, it could work for him.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks! It just might be what he needs. He's an *bonafide* adult, but....with an odd lifestyle (which is what I have to consider for this purchase). :) He lives in a remote area, travels a lot, and travels light. For those reasons I thought the portability would work for him. But....his primary use of the computer would be to write, and that's why the talk of small keyboards, slow typing, etc, gave me pause. But the price is so very tempting! (He's not the most reliable with keeping up with things.) I'm really, really thinking that this is as much as I'm willing to spend for a birthday gift. I just want to make sure it would be useful and not a nuisance.

I just had a brillant idea. Why don't I just ask him what he thinks about netbooks? ::)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts