Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying one (if I could make up my mind which one!)........

I need your opinion, velcro or corners, and why?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the corners and they work great.  Never had a problem with the Kindle jumping out of the cover and it is quick to remove if you want it bare.  Can't comment of the velcro as I have never seen one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have two covers with corners and really like the security of them as well as the ease of removal/insertion in the rare times that I read my kindle outside of its cover.

Dawn

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had both. 

Corners are very secure but, I found them distracting (I know, lame!) and wanted my K2 to "float" in the cover.  So, I got velcro (just last week) and I love how it looks.  I don't mind adhering the velcro to my skin and I'm no longer distracted!!  I feel that the velcro is very secure and my K2 is still easy to remove the rare times I need it out of the cover.  So, my vote goes for velcro!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Did anyone ever take their Oberon cover with corners and have a leather shop or a handy person change it to Velcro?  If so, how did it work out?
Paula ny

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
corkyb said:
Did anyone ever take their Oberon cover with corners and have a leather shop or a handy person change it to Velcro? If so, how did it work out?
Paula ny
luvmy4brats was going to, don't know if she has done it yet, though.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Don't have a k2 but I like the corners especially for the k2 and dx because when you do remove it from the case you can see the beautiful back covered in the decal girl skin LOL

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
corkyb said:
Did anyone ever take their Oberon cover with corners and have a leather shop or a handy person change it to Velcro? If so, how did it work out?
Paula ny
I plan on doing that this week. I was waiting until I got a velcro Oberon so that we could position the velcro properly. I just got my new cover last week.

Personally, I prefer the velcro (have had both) I find the corners to be distracting. If you're worried about putting velcro on the back of the Kindle, don't be. It removes very easily and leaves no residue.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Had all things been equal (at least in my eyes), I'd have gone with velcro, but I hated to affix anything to my Kindle. Now that I have a skin on it, I don't think I'd have minded the velcro at all, and the corners would be less distracting. That said, however, I love my Oberon, corners and all. 

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Velcro for me - love the "floating" look and I always read with the cover on anyway.  I have a skin but don't even bother putting the skin on the back of my Kindle.  Velcro is very secure, and does remove cleanly (if you're concerned about it leaving residue). 
However, if you're likely to read your Kindle without the cover, velcro probably isn't the best choice for you. 

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
My biggest concern with the velcro was that there'd be a residue when/if I removed it. It's nice to know that it doesn't leave any residue at all.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the K1 with velcro but for the K2 I like the corners simply because for me I remove my K2 more  when I read then I did with K1

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have both corners and velcro for my K1 and corners for K2.  I prefer corners and don't find them distracting at all, especially if you use a darker skin.  I love the floating look, but didn't like the little "fuzzies" from the velcro.  Good luck w/your decision!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an oberon velcro because I prefer the floating look, but the velcro was really bugging me because of the thickness it added to my k2. The velcro made it annoying when I changed over to amazon cover (when I needed a lighter weight for the day) & also made prospects of trying noreve or other covers a problem.

So, a few days ago I ripped the leather outer covering off of my amazon cover & then cut the inner portion in half. I then removed the velcro from my kindle AND my oberon cover (pulled out the stitches) & then inserted the inner half of amazon cover with hinge into the oberon, cut back a little of that black leather pocket inside the oberon (so that the amazon hinge has enough room to function) & now I have the PERFECT oberon cover for me! No corners, no velcro, just hinges & with only about one ounce additional weight (from the half of the inner amazon cover with hinge). I am sooo happy, I can finally really enjoy my oberon cover :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Xina said:
I have an oberon velcro because I prefer the floating look, but the velcro was really bugging me because of the thickness it added to my k2. The velcro made it annoying when I changed over to amazon cover (when I needed a lighter weight for the day) & also made prospects of trying noreve or other covers a problem.

So, a few days ago I ripped the leather outer covering off of my amazon cover & then cut the inner portion in half. I then removed the velcro from my kindle AND my oberon cover (pulled out the stitches) & then inserted the inner half of amazon cover with hinge into the oberon, cut back a little of that black leather pocket inside the oberon (so that the amazon hinge has enough room to function) & now I have the PERFECT oberon cover for me! No corners, no velcro, just hinges & with only about one ounce additional weight (from the half of the inner amazon cover with hinge). I am sooo happy, I can finally really enjoy my oberon cover :)
:
Wow! can you post pictures of the result? I'd like to see this...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the corners and feel more secure about how well the K2 stays in place. I don't really feel that the corners are distracting but the top left corner does interfere slightly with the sleep button and I find myself moving the corner slightly or having to reach under it slightly everytime I put the K2 in sleep or wake it up.
A minor issue but it can still be annoying at times.
I may eventually go velcro but corners work for me and the K2 is easy to put in and take out of the cover so corners it is .

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you use the velcro on a skin (at least one from Decalgirl) removing the velcro will destroy the skin. I found that out today because I decided to take my Kindle out of my new Oberon which I am attempting to return to Oberon Design. It probably would NOT have hurt the Kindle itself at all though.

My personal problem with the Oberon is that I like reading with the cover folded back. Unfortunately the reverse side of the hinge is unfinished and rough. I find it distracting to hold both in a tactile manner and also visually. Anyway I am trying to return it but I have a feeling they will reject the return. If they do I'll probably sell it on the board here.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for dropping by (I was reading your thread on Amazon). I read with the cover folded back, but the rough leather doesn't bother me. In fact, it doesn't seem all rough. My daughter has the Tree of Life and hers seems very smooth. Smoother than mine, in fact (I have the purple ROH). But I can see everyone's opinion on this could be different.

What cover do you have? Color? And type of button?

L

1 - 20 of 33 Posts