Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. KM is getting a Kindle replacement for his screen-fading K2.  I just got an email that they're charging us $18.98 for shipping and handling.  It seems like they should cover this cost.  Grrrrr...  Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
It seems like they should cover shipping on a replacement Kindle.
I would e-mail CS and let them know that you feel it is unreasonable to be charging you shipping.
I am betting they will take back the shipping charges.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I got charged too when my K1 got replaced. Then, they will refund it after a day or two.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That is so stupid... Why are they charging for the replacement? And then refund afterwards? That makes no sense.... I mean people have to pay for the shipping for sending back their Kindles to Amazon... And then paying for the replacement to be sent, in total that's around $25.00...

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
That is so stupid... Why are they charging for the replacement? And then refund afterwards? That makes no sense.... I mean people have to pay for the shipping for sending back their Kindles to Amazon... And then paying for the replacement to be sent, in total that's around $25.00...
When a Kindle is replaced under warranty you do not pay for shipping in either direction unless there is a mistake. When I received my replacement Kindles (sun fade issue twice), each time I received an e-mail like the following:

Hello,

I'm sorry your Kindle isn't working and am sending you a replacement Kindle via One-Day Delivery to get it to you as soon as possible.

You will see a One-Day shipping charge of $18.98 and shortly after the order ships, you will see that a refund for the same amount.

Here's your replacement order information:

Order Number: nnn
Estimated Delivery Date: ddd

Remember to remove any optional accessories you may have added to your Kindle and back up your personal content to your computer. You'll be able to access your existing Kindle library and change your subscription delivery options on the Manage Your Kindle page http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle when your replacement Kindle arrives.

Please insert the Kindle into a plastic bag, put it in original packaging if available, and send it back to us within 30 days from the date of this e-mail. If we don't receive the device by then, you'll be charged for the replacement Kindle.

A pre-paid shipping label can be printed here:

Link

Thank you for allowing us to work through this problem with you. Your replacement Kindle will be there soon.

Best regards,

CS Name
http://www.amazon.com

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It worked how you all said!  We were charged shipping and then it was refunded.

That seems like a weird business move but they probably have good reason for it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My K2 had to be replaced because it wouldn't charge. Amazon shipped a new one next day with no mention of any cost to me.  It was a FREE replacement.
jp

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first time Mr. KM had his K2 replaced (the powercord or where the powercord connected to the K didn't function), there were no charges. 

The second time Mr. KM had his K2 repalced (faded screen), they did charged our credit card and then refunded the charge. 

Weird.

I hope we're done replacing K2s.  My K1 has never been replaced and has always worked like a charm!  (Knock on wood.)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It would only soudn right to cover the shipping charge

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I was charged for shipping for all 4 Kindle 2's I had to return but, because I had a gift card balance the charges were refunded to my gift card balance.  Sometimes it could take 24 hrs. for the refund to come through.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are you serious?!? 

If you're an Amazon Prime member your shipping cost should only be $3.99.  Nevertheless, the CS rep told me that it would get credited, so my shipping would be free.

That sucks, though.  That's telling me that they're having more problems than expected.  Why would they charge shipping, anyway?  It's a defective device, it's their responsibility to give you what you paid for:  A DEVICE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
ElLector said:
Are you serious?!?

If you're an Amazon Prime member your shipping cost should only be $3.99. Nevertheless, the CS rep told me that it would get credited, so my shipping would be free.

That sucks, though. That's telling me that they're having more problems than expected. Why would they charge shipping, anyway? It's a defective device, it's their responsibility to give you what you paid for: A DEVICE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.
Yes, I was charged the Prime shipping of $3.99 but it was almost immediately refunded. I don't know why they have to do this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts