Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am totally not a computer geek, but would it be possible to use a flash drive that plugs into the USB (I think that's what they are called) for storing books on K2? Just curious, mostly. I figured there were a few computer literate folks here that could answer that question.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Maybe you could download books to your computer through the USB cable and then save them to a flash drive instead of using up your hard drive space.

The best option is to store your Amazon purchases on Amazon.  Keeps your homepage list short and you can reload them onto your Kindle through WN whenever you are ready to read.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Mom2AshEmBella said:
Okay, so I am totally not a computer geek, but would it be possible to use a flash drive that plugs into the USB (I think that's what they are called) for storing books on K2?
Which brings up an interesting question. If you got an adapter to plug a USB flash drive into the microslot, would it work or is there no power at all out of that slot.

Steve

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
stevene9 said:
Which brings up an interesting question. If you got an adapter to plug a USB flash drive into the microslot, would it work or is there no power at all out of that slot.
I doubt you would be able to read off the drive, even if this was possible.

·
Registered
947 Posts
stevene9 said:
No, because the size of the connector is not the primary issue. USB is a host/slave technology. Hosts have "A" ports--the rectangular jobs you see on your laptop. Slaves have "B" ports, which for full-size components are square connectors with two corners rounded off. The Mini-USB connector on the Kindle (it's not a micro, though those do exist) is a "B" connector. Flash drives, also being slave devices, plug into "A" ports on the host, and thus are completely incompatible with the "B" port on the Kindle.

There is no allowance in the USB spec for host-to-host or slave-to-slave communication. There will never be a storage device that can be attached to the K2's USB port.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
geko29 said:
The Mini-USB connector on the Kindle (it's not a micro, though those do exist) is a "B" connector.
I had originally written it as Mini, then I checked the K2 manual, and it calls it a Micro, so I went with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.