Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you anxiously awaiting your new DX's, and especially if you already have a K2,...what made you decide to get a DX?  ???  Was it a "get the NEWEST gadget" thing, or the larger screen, or the PDF ability...??As K2 was being released, I purchased a used KK from a fellow board member, and I love it! But was pondering some of the K2's for sale here, as well as the new DX. Any insight or opinions would be welcome!
TIA!

Susie

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We really needed a second kindle in the house, I was going to get the mrs a K2 for mother's day but Amazon announced the DX before I could order it.  The larger screen really intrigued me and the pdf function should come in handy for work purposes. 

Also my mom bought a k2 shortly after I did, she loves it but has to turn the font way up.  My plan is to show her my DX with the larger screen and font, she'll want to upgrade and she'll sell me her k2 for a bargain price so I can have 3 kindles.  ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I don't own a K2 (or K1)... I've always thought they were a little expensive for the amount I would use it. I like reading books, but I REALLY like magazines and blogs. Plus, my work involves a lot of research documents and journal articles in pdf format. I heard the previous kindles often distorted those types of documents, but the DX seems perfect for reading those types, so I decided it was finally time to jump.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I only have a K1, but really chose to get the DX because of the native pdf and the bigger screen. I have a lot of documents on pdf and some of them do not covert well. And I won't be complaining at the 16x grayscale which will be an improvement over the K1s.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a K1 and I still don't really see the point of anyone upgrading to a K2 or Kdx unless they can sell there K1 for a price that would cover the new one. Really they are all basically the same. Unless you are blind, and therefore need the text-to-speech feature, all 3 basically just let you read books and such. Idk, not worth the money to get anything but a K1 imo.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You know, I canceled my DX order tonight. I realized that the K1 really suits my needs better even if I would have liked the native .pdf. The rest of the stuff I can live without.

Instead I'm going to buy a new cover for my K1, because it's coverless right now. Lost the one that came with it awhile ago.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would buy one tomorrow if I wasn't a little strapped right now. I don't care much about PDF support. For me, it's all about how the big screen will make it a little easier to read (since I use the highest possible font).

I haven't heard much about this, but the DX should be very helpful for the visually impaired.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Kindle 1.  I chose to wait on the Kindle 2 even though it had nice upgrades.  But I chose to purchase the DX because in my profession I use many very large books and PDFs.  I get tired of making multiple trips to carry my books into client sites.  So I hope to get my books into my new DX and make only 1 trip.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
We are considering a DX for my hubby.  He has large manuals in pdf for work and it would be so much easier to carry the DX around than a laptop or a stack of printouts.  But we are waiting for the reviews from early adopters this time (instead of BEING and early adopter).  We already have a KK and a K2 so we aren't hurting by waiting a bit.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm personally going to wait a bit before getting an upgrade.  There will be issues at launch, so might as well wait till this whole mess gets sorted out.  

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am usually one to click "buy" when a new version of something comes out, after all I did it when the K2 was released (and yes as a previous poster suggested, I did sell my K1 and it pretty much covered the cost of the K2). However, I am not doing that for the DX. I am not really in any of the demographics they are trying to hit and I like the size of my K2. I would, like many, love to have the PDF support but I am holding off for the next K2 sized version which will hopefully have it. I don't want any more size than I currently have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just ordered my first Kindle last week.  At first I ordered the DX but after 24 hours of going back and forth I decided to cancel it and order the K2.  I didn't need the larger screen or the pdf option and I really like the idea of it being able to fit in my purse.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, my first main reason is that it's the "newest gadget" of the Kindle line. I've been an admirer ever since the K1. So, when I finally was able to purchase one of my own, I opted for the one with the most features, and the best feature was the bigger screen. To me, it would resemble more of a hardcover book, and would personally be more comfortable for me read than a K2. Also, I love the native PDF and the fact that it will replace the need to carry textbooks. (I haven't completely decided if I want to do that yet, but if I do, I know I'll always have the option open.)

Plus, it'll be awesome to be one of the first people to get it! I figured "bigger was better." :p

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sure the larger screen on the DX will be wonderful, but as another poster said, I wanted something small enough to put in my purse/carry easily.  So, I'm sticking with the K2.

Kim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts