Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of deciding which to get, Sony eReader or the Kindle 2. An acquaintance directed me to this forum, and it looks like a lot of information to digest here. I'm leaning a little heavier to the Kindle 2.

I've done some research on the differences, but I'm a little lost on things. I know you can download books straight from Amazon's site, and I've read you can download from other sites as well. Do you have to be plugged into a computer for the non-Amazon books and upload them via cable? Even if you don't have to, is this still an option?

I've read that .pdf files cost $0.10 to convert when you send it through the Kindle's unique email address.

I guess my major questions revolve around: How does it work? I'm not completely internet savvy, nor am I completely ignorant of how things work--that happy medium where I know enough to be dangerous and give Customer Service headaches. ;)

Where can I find more information on how it actually operates and how I can utilize the K2 to the fullest extent possible?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Anything you buy from Amazon is delivered to the Kindle, for free. No cable required.

If you pay .10, you can send PDFs and other documents (to include other eBooks) directly to your Kindle.

Anything else you want to load, you can copy to it directly. The Kindle just appears as an external drive when you plug it in.

There are several utilities available to convert various file formats to Kindle format, thus removing the need for Amazon's conversion service altogether.

If you're planning to mostly shop on Amazon (and go look at the selection of books under $1), then you never need to plug the Kindle in except to charge it :)

Final thought: There are FAR more books available in Kindle format than any other. Pay no attention to the recent ads touting Sony's "500,000" available books. Nearly that whole catalog is public domain content that's also available free or cheap at Amazon, just many different "versions" of the same titles.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
TheFallGuy said:
I'm in the process of deciding which to get, Sony eReader or the Kindle 2. An acquaintance directed me to this forum, and it looks like a lot of information to digest here. I'm leaning a little heavier to the Kindle 2.
Hi Fall Guy, welcome. Glad to have you here. Spend some time poking around this site and I suspect all your questions will be answered. I 'll try to give you short answers to the questions you have asked, but dig a little bit and you will have a wealth of information. Like you said, probably more than you can digest.

I've done some research on the differences, but I'm a little lost on things. I know you can download books straight from Amazon's site, and I've read you can download from other sites as well.
Depends on the site where you are getting the books. Fictionwise has a feature that will email books to your Kindle when you have bought them (read the FAQ to find out how). Feedbooks has a catalog that you can download books directly from their catalog to your Kindle, while on the Kindle. You can also email files to your Kindle. I think there are folks here who have never taken the USB cable out of the box. I, on the other hand, use it all the time.

Do you have to be plugged into a computer for the non-Amazon books and upload them via cable?
See above.

Even if you don't have to, is this still an option?
Yes.

I've read that .pdf files cost $0.10 to convert when you send it through the Kindle's unique email address.
The charge at the moment is a myth but I suppose Amazon could actually implement any day. So far, I've never been charged.

I guess my major questions revolve around: How does it work? I'm not completely internet savvy, nor am I completely ignorant of how things work--that happy medium where I know enough to be dangerous and give Customer Service headaches. ;)
Not to be too glib but...buy the Kindle. You won't regret it.

Where can I find more information on how it actually operates and how I can utilize the K2 to the fullest extent possible?
Here.

Welcome!

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
TheFallGuy said:

I've done some research on the differences, but I'm a little lost on things. I know you can download books straight from Amazon's site, and I've read you can download from other sites as well. Do you have to be plugged into a computer for the non-Amazon books and upload them via cable? Even if you don't have to, is this still an option?

Have you tried the Kindle Support section on Amazon's website?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinh_7?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470
It won't answer every question, but you can download a PDF version of the Kindle User's Guide, which will answer a lot of questions.

As far as using Whispernet to download from other sites, it depends on the site - some will work, some don't. There are a couple of sources for public domain books that have guides that you can put on your Kindle, choose your book from the list of available books, and download via Whispernet. And yes, you can always download to your computer and then transfer to the Kindle via the USB cable (which comes with your Kindle).

In theory, they charge .10 for conversion of pdf & some other files, and there's also an option for doing it for no charge. But no one has ever reported being charged the .10 fee, I certainly haven't.

Also, have you peeked at the FAQ section here on the boards? http://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,2.0.html

Have fun making your decision - for me content was an important element (along with Whispernet) - having access to an actual bookseller's content (rather than an electronics company dabbling in selling books) was a huge deciding factor for me.

One more thing regarding Whispernet - if that's really important to you, you should check to be sure you have coverage where you live. There's a link to a map on the Kindle page on Amazon's site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
akjak said:
Anything you buy from Amazon is delivered to the Kindle, for free. No cable required.

If you pay .10, you can send PDFs and other documents (to include other eBooks) directly to your Kindle.

Anything else you want to load, you can copy to it directly. The Kindle just appears as an external drive when you plug it in.

There are several utilities available to convert various file formats to Kindle format, thus removing the need for Amazon's conversion service altogether.

If you're planning to mostly shop on Amazon (and go look at the selection of books under $1), then you never need to plug the Kindle in except to charge it :)

Final thought: There are FAR more books available in Kindle format than any other. Pay no attention to the recent ads touting Sony's "500,000" available books. Nearly that whole catalog is public domain content that's also available free or cheap at Amazon, just many different "versions" of the same titles.
Thanks, akjak.

I've looked at the Sony site and Amazon's Kindle book section and compared costs. Generally, Amazon has the same books for cheaper. Another reason I'm weighing in heavily for the Kindle. I like the highlighting option on the Sony, though. But I'm not sure if that'll be enough to sway me over to it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
TheFallGuy said:
Thanks, akjak.

I've looked at the Sony site and Amazon's Kindle book section and compared costs. Generally, Amazon has the same books for cheaper. Another reason I'm weighing in heavily for the Kindle. I like the highlighting option on the Sony, though. But I'm not sure if that'll be enough to sway me over to it.
You can highlight on the Kindle as well, and make notations if you'd like. ;)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I solved the problem by buying both  ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leslie said:
Hi Fall Guy, welcome. Glad to have you here. Spend some time poking around this site and I suspect all your questions will be answered. I 'll try to give you short answers to the questions you have asked, but dig a little bit and you will have a wealth of information. Like you said, probably more than you can digest.
Thanks Leslie.

I've done a little poking about here and I'm sure there's more information than I need. Sometimes, it's just figuring out where it is.
Leslie said:
Depends on the site where you are getting the books. Fictionwise has a feature that will email books to your Kindle when you have bought them (read the FAQ to find out how). Feedbooks has a catalog that you can download books directly from their catalog to your Kindle, while on the Kindle. You can also email files to your Kindle. I think there are folks here who have never taken the USB cable out of the box. I, on the other hand, use it all the time.

See above.

Yes.
Excellent.
Leslie said:
The charge at the moment is a myth but I suppose Amazon could actually implement any day. So far, I've never been charged.
Hmmm. Interesting.
Leslie said:
Not to be too glib but...buy the Kindle. You won't regret it.
:D I'll probably be sharing it with my wife. That, I'll probably regret. ;D
Leslie said:
Any particular sub-forum on the how? I'm going to spend some time in the book corner to find out what/where I can acquire books.
Leslie said:
Welcome!

L
Thanks.

Another question. Is there a way to expand the amount of posts I see on a page to more than 10?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meemo said:
Have you tried the Kindle Support section on Amazon's website?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinh_7?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470
It won't answer every question, but you can download a PDF version of the Kindle User's Guide, which will answer a lot of questions.
I'll do that. Thanks.
Meemo said:
As far as using Whispernet to download from other sites, it depends on the site - some will work, some don't. There are a couple of sources for public domain books that have guides that you can put on your Kindle, choose your book from the list of available books, and download via Whispernet. And yes, you can always download to your computer and then transfer to the Kindle via the USB cable (which comes with your Kindle).

In theory, they charge .10 for conversion of pdf & some other files, and there's also an option for doing it for no charge. But no one has ever reported being charged the .10 fee, I certainly haven't.
I'll have to check that out.
Meemo said:
Also, have you peeked at the FAQ section here on the boards? http://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,2.0.html
Yeah, I was over there for a bit trying to figure things out (as well as the Forum Decorum).
Meemo said:
Have fun making your decision - for me content was an important element (along with Whispernet) - having access to an actual bookseller's content (rather than an electronics company dabbling in selling books) was a huge deciding factor for me.
What do you mean?
Meemo said:
One more thing regarding Whispernet - if that's really important to you, you should check to be sure you have coverage where you live. There's a link to a map on the Kindle page on Amazon's site.
I checked and it looks like I'm covered. Though, the mountains may have more to say about that than the map. ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red said:
I solved the problem by buying both ;)
My wallet, wife, and expanding family have veto power over that desire.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Meemo said:
What do you mean?
Amazon is a bookseller formost. The Kindle is an adjunct to that. Sony sells electronics, not books primarily

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Another question. Is there a way to expand the amount of posts I see on a page to more than 10?
Completely unrelated to the Kindle, we've been having some server issues here at KindleBoards. Our fearless leader Admin, Harvey has been working tirelessly to solve the problem. In the interim, he has turned off all avatars and restricted the views on the the threads and the boards. Hopefully things will get back to normal very soon.

L

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leslie said:
Completely unrelated to the Kindle, we've been having some server issues here at KindleBoards. Our fearless leader Admin, Harvey has been working tirelessly to solve the problem. In the interim, he has turned off all avatars and restricted the views on the the threads and the boards. Hopefully things will get back to normal very soon.

L
Feed the hamsters!!!!! ;D

I noticed that it was a little slow, and a couple days ago before I signed up the site was experiencing technical difficulties. I hope it gets fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
TheFallGuy said:
My wallet, wife, and expanding family have veto power over that desire.
Bummer, but being a wife, I can say that is probably the correct answer :D . But, in more of an answer to your question, within the last 4 months Sony has had almost all the books I can get on kindle, the prices are about the same since Amazon has raised a significant number of theirs, but the boycott may help that. The Sony is much, much more durable, even than the kindle 2. Although the kindle 2 is at least twice as durable as the kindle 1. I have had several problems with the kindle (1 and 2) and overall, CS is good, once you get past the generic answers. I have owned a Sony for about 4 years the 505 and 700. I don't know about their customer service because I've never needed it. I use my kindle 2 about 30 % of the time, my Sony 700 about 25% and read DTB the rest, usually because the price is cheaper, or they have a lot of endnotes/footnotes that aren't properly formatted on Kindle. They Sony 700 will now connect to notes as well, but I haven't gotten into the habit of searching the store for those books. The (IMHO) biggest advantages of kindle is whispernet, esp. for magazine and newspaper subscriptions, and that the store is a lot easier to search. The biggest advantage of Sony is that they are durable, dependable, and always formatted correctly (this is a pet peeve of mine) it irritates me beyond reason to pay 9.99 or more for a book that is badly formatted. I don't mean occasional typos, I mean bad. About 25% of the books I buy for Kindle from amazon~about 150 purchased, (from large publishers, I don't buy from the small ones because they are even worse, in my experience), are formatted so badly they are difficult to read. I usually return them. But I think that number is just to high. I've bought about 200 books from Sony and only had one with format issues. People say it is the publisher fault. But I think it has to have something to do with Amazon, or what has to be done to get a book on kindle. I've bought 3 books on Sony and Kindle that were fine on Sony but unreadable on Kindle,.. They were published by the same company.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
In the above post I meant that 25% of 150 purchased  :-\

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Actually, no they haven't.  I have always called, given them location numbers of the errors, sometimes emailing them, I usually stop documenting at 50 or more serious errors.  By this I mean I do not include typos.  I think something to me, as a reader, is a serious error if it keeps me from understanding the book.  Like text over text, blank pages that have parts of sentences, or entire paragraphs missing (not just blank space, but actually missing text), stuff like that. They have always thanked me.  I think because I give them the information with the locations of the errors so they can see them.  I've even had kindle support ask me to locate as many as possible, sometimes while I'm on the phone, sometimes they ask me to type it up, send it to the department that deals with the publishers and then they have sent the info to the publishers.  I'm sure they do further research before they pass it along, but I get them into a good start.   It is a little irritating to pay $9.99 for a book, and then have to spend my time being their copy editor, but I'm glad to help, because I think it makes the kindle more successful over the long run if people who don't have a lot of e-reader experience don't get confronted with these problems to frequently. As I said, overall kindle CS is helpful, if you give them enough information.  I have had kindle support gift me with a couple of gift credits (which I have never asked for) and that was a nice token from them.  From the % it sounds like I'm picky, but I'm really not.  Like I said, I don't even include typos as a return issue.  I guess I just read a lot of books that for some reason are difficult to format.  Most, not all, have eventually been reformatted.  I repurchase when I discover they have become available again. They seem to appreciate the help and I've never returned anything to amazon, except kindle books for formatting issues, and always with the above documentation.  They even invited me into the vine.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This really makes me wonder what kind of books you are reading. I have bought 151 Kindle books in a year and I have had one, yes 1, with lousy formatting. The book was lousy, too, so once I plowed through it, I didn't care to go back and see if the format was changed.

I've read books with footnotes, endnotes, chapters, and tables of contents and they have all worked just fine for me. Sorry to hear that you've come up against such a bad batch of books.

L

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Well, if your are really interested you can Pm me, I don't want to hijack the thread.  But one example is Fagles' translation of The Aeneid.  Which I now have on my Sony, a couple of errors in line breaks that are common in poems on e-readers, but otherwise readable.  It was absolutely unreadable on the kindle.  Took me and the kindle support guy 10 minutes of me reading location errors with descriptions of errors, then he got a "higher" tech support guy on the phone, we did a 3 way  ;) , for another 5 minutes then the "higher" tech guy just said enough and passed it on.  Now we don't go on that long, they tell me to turn off my whisper net, document locations as I read as much as I feel inclined to do, to be helpful, and email them.  Then when I turn the whispernet back on it is taken off my kindle.  But, basically, yeah I do sort of have odd reading tastes  :-[

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Red said:
Well, if your are really interested you can Pm me, I don't want to highjack the thread. But one example is Fagles' translation of The Aeneid. Which I now have on my Sony, a couple of errors in line breaks that are common in poems on e-readers, but otherwise readable. It was absolutely unreadable on the kindle. Took me and the kindle support guy 10 minutes of me reading location errors with descriptions of errors, then he got a "higher" tech support guy on the phone, we did a 3 way ;) , for another 5 minutes then the "higher" tech guy just said enough and passed it on. Now we don't go on that long, they tell me to turn off my whisper net, document locations as I read as much as I feel inclined to do, to be helpful, and email them. Then when I turn the whispernet back on it is taken off my kindle. But, basically, yeah I do sort of have odd reading tastes :-[
Thanks for the information and the honest reviews. I don't mind the hijack, since this is information that I want to know going into the purchasing phase. This way I'm not completely irritated at what I think should be 100% perfection. ;D

Besides, if we're on the same type of reading interests, then it might be helpful to know.

In all honesty, by reporting in detail what is wrong and why, you are doing customer service. They can forward that to the publishers and say "Here're the problems. We're paying a fee for these e-books and they are in horrible condition, whatcha trying to pull with us?" You are, in effect, doing CS's job. I'm glad they're reimbursing you for your effort. That's a good sign that their CS is good. (Other computer manufacturers don't do jack. I finally had to pour a coke on a computer to get them to fix my brother's computer properly--he was in Iraq with a dysfunctional computer.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts