Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the first time I went in to the Basic Web, there was a list of sites to go to. I first chose CNN and now I can't seem to figure out how to get back to that page with the list. Am I just imagining things about that list? Was there really one there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I didn't go to Bookmarks, because I hadn't made any yet. Hehe. Some things are so simple, when you know the answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
I've heard that going on-line on the K2 is not so fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Kind said:
I've heard that going on-line on the K2 is not so fun.
I don't really like using the K2 browser, but then again, I only really use it to download samples from the Kindle book store and purchase books. I tried looking up movie times because my Kindle was the only thing available at the moment, and it took a good 15 minutes to find a movie time. Kind of a headache, but then again, living in the middle of no where, AL, may have something to do about that. ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,416 Posts
I don't generally use the browser on my Kindles.It's just easier to use my pc, laptop, or netbook :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
back2nature said:
It seems that the first time I went in to the Basic Web, there was a list of sites to go to. I first chose CNN and now I can't seem to figure out how to get back to that page with the list. Am I just imagining things about that list? Was there really one there?
Yes, when web browsing, you can press Menu to get the 'bookmarks' for the web, and that's one of the bookmarks that Amazon pre-sets for you.

I have a section called Tips for working with the Kindle web browser - because there are three different modes for webbing, and each of them brings a fairly different experience.

The Tips piece is at my (shortcut) http://xrl.us/kindleweb

And a piece about bookmarks for small mobile-device-focused websites is at
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/04/mobile-versions-of-webpages-for-kindle.html

I tend to like to use the web browser when out - and I've seen that a few others on this forum do as well, when looking for good restaurants, etc. ( like http://m.yelp.com )

Here's a real life use with the web browser Wednesday night:

My cable high speed internet connection went down last night just before I was going to order a DX and I was bent on ordering one after mulling it for a week. That my internet connection went down was probably a sign for me that I shouldn't order it, but I ignored it.

I got my Kindle 2 to go to Comcast to look up the phone contact to get my cable probs reported. The K2 crashed at that point. It came right back, apparently refreshed, with no assist from me though. I found out that my entire neighborhood was down for that.

So, with my Kindle 2, I just went back to Comcast and this time it didn't crash and never did balk again the entire session. Here's my path on the web with the small, underpowered Kindle 2:

1. I started to do the order on the Kindle 2 instead, while reading a DX review on a blog site with the Kindle basic web browser. I had clicked on a link to buy.
2. That took me to my Amazon account where I signed in.
3. Ordered the DX, but realized I didn't have my gift certificate credits with their long numbers.
4. Went to Yahoo mail with my Kindle to get my gift certificate credits to apply to the order.
5. Yahoo was too busy to deal with my mere Kindle 2 (they're a balky site for the Kindle.)
6. I went to GMail where my Yahoo mail copies are auto-forwarded. No problem there at all. Was able to retrieve the mail from there and the 4 coupon codes.
7. Then I pressed the Kindle's Back button and was on the Amazon order again!
8. Typed in the gift certificate codes.
9. Chose my shipping.
7. Completed my order and got confirmation.

Went back to my pc and turned off the Kindle, as I saw that my cable lights were blinking again.

On my computer I checked my recent orders and there it was! It's not due to arrive until June 24 though I chose 1-day delivery. They're just not in stock again until the 22nd or so.

Since I not only ordered but paused to go to Yahoo mail and then to GMail which is more reliable and then was able to get back to my Amazon order surprised me. There were no memory problems after that initial 'crash.'

I kind of like that I was able to order my DX with my Kindle 2 :)

BY THE WAY, I ran across a story tonight about Oberon covers and I guess I should post it in Accessories. I didn't find it posted already but it's from the 16th, so I'll go there next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know we could access Gmail on the Kindle. I'll to try it and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried it the gmail page. It does work. Sort of. If you're desperate. I think I rather get email on my cell phone. Looks better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Jessi said:
I don't really like using the K2 browser, but then again, I only really use it to download samples from the Kindle book store and purchase books. I tried looking up movie times because my Kindle was the only thing available at the moment, and it took a good 15 minutes to find a movie time. Kind of a headache, but then again, living in the middle of no where, AL, may have something to do about that. ???
Hmm. I don't think living in the middle of nowhere would affect that, as long as you can get a signal.

The browser is actually quite good for "quick and dirty" browsing such as, when you want to check the scores of a baseball game, look up a quick fact on Wikipedia to settle a browser, read the news on sites that have a "mobile browser" option. If you want to browse highly graphical sites, then of course your computer is far better for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
back2nature said:
Tried it the gmail page. It does work. Sort of. If you're desperate. I think I rather get email on my cell phone. Looks better.
It would cost me an extra $30/month for web-data on my cell phone so I don't take it.

I do like that I can do emergency things with the Kindle, such as order my DX the other night while checking email during the order and getting back to it. I think they've improved it somehow.

But the gmail - everytime you send an email you get an annoying popup that says no connection can be made to the server and to try again later. It's a spurious error message. The emails actually do get submitted.

I posted to facebook the other day as an experiment when someone wanted it tried, and it was the same thing. I could post it but the false error message popped up though it was posted. AND it makes you log in twice. Annoying but when it's free and you're on the street somewhere w/o access to your computers, it's pretty nice. It's always a bit like magic to me still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
idolguy said:
...
The browser is actually quite good for "quick and dirty" browsing such as, when you want to check the scores of a baseball game, look up a quick fact on Wikipedia to settle a browser, read the news on sites that have a "mobile browser" option. If you want to browse highly graphical sites, then of course your computer is far better for that.
I'm glad some others have found good use for this too. When I ran a google search today after having lunch with another Kindle enthusiast, it told me it had search results in .8 of a second.

But the experience depends on whether you have 1) Basic mode w/images, 2) Basic mode w/o images [very fast], Advanced, w/ and w/o images, and Advanced with Javascript w/ and w/o images.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
bookfiend said:
Thanks for all the info Arts fan.
I found a burger king on yelp once with kindle ;D I was having a major wopper attack
So you're an old hand at it. FOOD is a great motivator!

I like that I can use it at concert intermissions. That it works just about anywhere is still amazing to me. If there were a monthly charge for it as is normal, then I wouldn't find it so magical :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
I also refuse to pay $30 a month for internet on my phone when I'm paying $30 a month for home Internet.  It's not that I can't afford it, it's the principal...  I like the Kindle web because I can check the weather and many other sights wherever I am.  Is it "Kluge" you bet, but then it's also FREE. ;D ;D ;D
jp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
I'll quickly add my latest web browsing experience.  We're in Memphis for the weekend.  On the way here I mapped two different destinations on google maps.  Yes, it took me a while and was somewhat frustrating, but my kindle and I did it.  I thought about buying a book while riding down I 55, just because I could, but I got control of myself.

I don't have a media plan either, so I view my Kindle as the-little-Kindle-who-can (given enough time).

Off topic, but....it's hot as hades here in Memphis!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
I'm glad some others have found good use for this too. When I ran a google search today after having lunch with another Kindle enthusiast, it told me it had search results in .8 of a second.

But the experience depends on whether you have 1) Basic mode w/images, 2) Basic mode w/o images [very fast], Advanced, w/ and w/o images, and Advanced with Javascript w/ and w/o images.
It's really quite fascinating what uses you can find for the Kindle. I'm using the K1's browser on a regular basis to read sports columns and such. It works
fine in these settings.

I don't know about playing World of Warcraft, though...:)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top